"NFL Executives" Grade Every Team's Offseason ESPN

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
NFCN has been real tough for a couple years and the safe bet is that it will continue to be, but shit, any one of these teams could fall apart rapidly.

Agreed. But I think the Bears are the least established obviously. It’s hard to see the Vikings going anywhere anytime soon, that roster is stacked with great young homegrown talent. GB doesn’t look like the juggernaut that they’ve been onnoffense as of late, and the Lions are the Lions. I have a feeling DET takes some steps back and fall back to the cellar of the NFCN.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Vikings went 8-8 in 2016. If that offense doesn't click or the wheels come off due to injury or whatever, they could flame out like Lovie's Bears did. Probably not going to happen, but just saying.

I don't have a lot of faith in their FO or Zimmer. When things start going downhill, Zimmer kinda just starts losing his mind and screaming at everyone. Sucks they got DeFilippo tho.

AngryZimZam.png

wpid-20141214__141214_vikings_MikeZimmer_pensive.jpg

mike-zimmer.jpg

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Sounds like some execs gave the bears grades based on the fact they can't predict the future, which is fucking Special person.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed. But I think the Bears are the least established obviously. It’s hard to see the Vikings going anywhere anytime soon, that roster is stacked with great young homegrown talent. GB doesn’t look like the juggernaut that they’ve been onnoffense as of late, and the Lions are the Lions. I have a feeling DET takes some steps back and fall back to the cellar of the NFCN.

What step back have the Lions taken though? Their offense will be better, should have at least some semblance of a running game and a better non injured O-line, a 2nd year WR with a huge upside (golladay) same OC, so continuity there (just like Bears D). They will still struggle defensively, but a top ten Offense will at least keep them .500 or slightly above. If the Bears do overtake the Lions, it will because they leap frogged them, but I don't see a step back, barring a significant injury (Stafford). I think GB is the team that is most likely to disappoint expectations.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Vikings went 8-8 in 2016. If that offense doesn't click or the wheels come off due to injury or whatever, they could flame out like Lovie's Bears did. Probably not going to happen, but just saying.

I don't have a lot of faith in their FO or Zimmer. When things start going downhill, Zimmer kinda just starts losing his mind and screaming at everyone. Sucks they got DeFilippo tho.

AngryZimZam.png

wpid-20141214__141214_vikings_MikeZimmer_pensive.jpg

mike-zimmer.jpg

Cousins should help them stabilize the O. They haven't lost much playerwise to think they'll bust this year. I think we can finish ahead of the Lions and anything is possible if our O wakes up but as it stands now, I think 3rd in the division at near .500 would be a positive. Anything more is gravy but not out of question.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cousins should help them stabilize the O. They haven't lost much playerwise to think they'll bust this year. I think we can finish ahead of the Lions and anything is possible if our O wakes up but as it stands now, I think 3rd in the division at near .500 would be a positive. Anything more is gravy but not out of question.

tenor.gif

Bears fans have been saying that for the last three years, so is this the year?

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
tenor.gif

Bears fans have been saying that for the last three years, so is this the year?

Probably. I mean, the Lions as an organization exist to vary between awful and just good enough to get beaten by any actually good teams. They have been near their ceiling for a few years, so near term regression seems like a safe bet.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Probably. I mean, the Lions as an organization exist to vary between awful and just good enough to get beaten by any actually good teams. They have been near their ceiling for a few years, so near term regression seems like a safe bet.

They are in no man's land every year. Good enough to be average but rarely much more than that and never a contender. Basically the Bulls with Thibodeau or Skiles.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Hilarious how the Lions have a few mediocre seasons after almost 50 full years of futility, and their fans start talking smack like they're the Patriots....

Just watch their let down once Patricia proves to be another Belichek coaching tree dud.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
LMAO, same clueless responses from the same group every time. News flash, it's not talking smack when you say a team is slightly better than a dumpster fire.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
LMAO, same clueless responses from the same group every time. News flash, it's not talking smack when you say a team is slightly better than a dumpster fire.

Yeah, posting an "I think I can" choo-choo train clearly isn't talking smack...

Nelly

Liked Posts:
How does Long and Floyd coming off injury have anything to do with the offseason? If you're going to say that then hell, we've got another first round pick this year again with Kevin White coming off of injury as well. Go us!

Had someone said that losing Sitton and replacing with a rookie will have a bigger impact than people are thinking it will, then ok. But how can you not like the moves to Nagy + a stellar coaching staff, Allen Robinson, Trey Burton, retaining Fuller and drafting one of the two most NFL ready defensive players with the 8th pick? B+ at worst. Doesn't mean we'll be a great team it just means we've improved a lot, as much or more for the long-term than even the immediate term.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I think the grades given now should be based on the decisions the teams made. It seems like the grades are being given for the "assumed" outcome, which makes no sense. By almost all measures, the Bears made great decisions for improving their team in the offseason, as blue-printed by PHI and LA.

Why does it seem that way to you? You bemoan the fact that the grades should be given based on the decisions made and ignore the fact the Bears were given the highest grade in the North.

I'll give you assuming Gabriel will suck in cold so that one doesn't make sense, you're right.

But the biggest reasons given as to not give them an A:

Banking on 1 good year from Fuller after trying to trade him and calling him out a year ago is questionable and fair game imo.

Also, lack of depth to pre-injured starters in Long, Floyd, Robinson et al is not basing the grade on "assumed outcome" but rather questionable as to how many key starters are counting on competent med and training staff. Not an unwarranted position imo.

TL;DR - You are right they assumed a negative for Gabriel where none exists yet, but all their other points for why it's not an A are valid imo and I agree also that the bears had a better offseason on paper than anyone else in the North.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why does it seem that way to you? You bemoan the fact that the grades should be given based on the decisions made and ignore the fact the Bears were given the highest grade in the North.

I'll give you assuming Gabriel will suck in cold so that one doesn't make sense, you're right.

Banking on 1 good year from Fuller after trying to trade him and calling him out a year ago is questionable and fair game imo.

Also, lack of depth to pre-injured starters in Long, Floyd, Robinson et al is not basing the grade on "assumed outcome" but rather questionable as to how many key starters are counting on competent med and training staff. Not an unwarranted position imo.

TL;DR - You are right they assumed a negative for Gabriel where none exists yet, but all their other points for why it's not an A are valid imo and I agree also that the bears had a better offseason on paper than anyone else in the North.

So a B- is now better than a B?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds like some execs gave the bears grades based on the fact they can't predict the future, which is fucking Special person.

What are they supposed to do? The author was asking them to predict the future and they were like uh... no?

Thats why these articles are so stupid. Any NFL pro thats not a moron is going to end their statement with, "but we will have to wait and see".

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Just saying tho... with the vikings some of their offseason moves have to go right for them to maintain their team performance from last year. It looks like a good bet that their moves will work out, but still, there are some questions that won't be answered until they hit the field.

Also, Cousins is pretty good, but imo he is also a bitch and could start an implosion for dumb reasons. Again, probably not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
What are they supposed to do? The author was asking them to predict the future and they were like uh... no?

Thats why these articles are so stupid. Any NFL pro thats not a moron is going to end their statement with, "but we will have to wait and see".
If you're giving off-season grades, it should be whether or not they improved the team at that moment over what was there last year. Saying shit like, "I'd give a higher grade if nagy is good" is Special person. It would be pretty difficult to be worse than fox.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

Part of my point is that if the Bears got a B- for their offseason, I have a hard time believing any other team got an A or A+ for improving their team.

The Bears turned one of the worst WR corps in the league into something more than respectable (and picked up arguable the top WR FA), got younger on the OL with Daniels, Kush should be coming back.

The Bears also got great value and great talent with the 1st 3 draft picks, which was pretty universally applauded.

Most critics I read from said the Transition Tag move on Fuller was brilliant, i.e. bringing him back was a good idea, not questionable.

I don't see how you can say we are lacking WR depth, I completely disagree. The one hole this team has is OLB.

Pace did pretty much everything he should have done, and did it well (this offseason). There's a lot of room in between a B- and an A regardjng the typical grading scheme. IMO, B- sounds low. That's all I'm saying.