NFL's most fireable coaches after Week 3

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

3. Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears​

Aug 22, 2024; Kansas City, Missouri, USA; Chicago Bears head coach Matt Eberflus at GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports

Aug 22, 2024; Kansas City, Missouri, USA; Chicago Bears head coach Matt Eberflus at GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports

Eberflus saw positive returns from Caleb Williams in his third start as an NFL quarterback. This was not enough to earn a win on a day where Williams outplayed a struggling Anthony Richardson, leaving Chicago at the bottom of the NFC North with a 1-2 record.

Williams has all the traits of a franchise quarterback, but the Bears run the risk of breaking him the same way they kept Justin Fields from meeting his potential. Like Fields, the rookie is getting crushed behind a shoddy offensive line in a scheme that has struggled to consistently play to his strengths.

Williams has been sacked on roughly one in 10 dropbacks, but while his 13 sacks are tied for third-most in the NFL, his 36 percent pressure rate ranks just 12th. Eberflus has, once again, created an offense that gives a young quarterback too much to process in the pocket, leading to negative plays and a litany of third-and-longs (the Bears' 33 percent third down conversion rate is 23rd best in the league).

A warm seat is pretty much par for the course in Chicago. Eberflus looked cooked in 2023 before finishing the season on a 4-2 run. With his defense playing like a top three unit, it made at least some sense to give him another shot, this time with a new quarterback. That defense continues to thrive, but it hasn't mattered because the Bears' offense has scored three touchdowns in three games.

There's time to fix this. Then again, clock management and situational awareness aren't exactly Eberflus's strong points.

Salvaged Ship

Liked Posts:
I would trade Eberflus for Pederson in a heartbeat, maybe give Jacksonville a call. Not a ringing endorsement of Pederson by any stretch, more of a shitting on Eberblows.

Salvaged Ship

Liked Posts:
I suspect fans and the media think Flus' seat is hotter than it actually is. Barring a complete disaster I think the Bears want Caleb to have at least 2 years in the same O.
Agreed, I think Poles/George/Warren love Flus and I suspect he is a big suck up. Nice guy Flus, winning not the priority, sucking up, it all adds up to this guy going nowhere unless it’s a complete disaster. Waldron as well, they won’t fire him after one season. These guys either figure it out or we are stuck in shit, and not good for Caleb. I hope they figure it out, it’s our only hope

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I suspect fans and the media think Flus' seat is hotter than it actually is. Barring a complete disaster I think the Bears want Caleb to have at least 2 years in the same O.
I agree with this...

unless the wheels fall off and the clubhouse imploads i don't thenk the HC or OC go anywhere....

there will be a cleansing of position coaches tho...

msadows

Liked Posts:
I agree with this...

unless the wheels fall off and the clubhouse imploads i don't thenk the HC or OC go anywhere....

there will be a cleansing of position coaches tho...

Caleb will look good(for a young qb) by week 8 and the bears will go like 8-9. Fluss will keep his job as its an improvement ;)

The only guy they will fire is the Oline coach and bears fans will get to watch all 3 NFCN teams outside of them in the playoffs. lol

Moses Moreno

RB1 - VELUS JONES JR
Liked Posts:
Caleb will look good(for a young qb) by week 8 and the bears will go like 8-9. Fluss will keep his job as its an improvement ;)

The only guy they will fire is the Oline coach and bears fans will get to watch all 3 NFCN teams outside of them in the playoffs. lol
Look at the schedule.

This motherfuckers cooked unless they can somehow find a way to be playing like the best team in the NFC North in the second half of the year.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Look at the schedule.

This motherfuckers cooked unless they can somehow find a way to be playing like the best team in the NFC North in the second half of the year.

Its 3 games in. chill out baby cakes, lotta the teams who look "good" right now are actually tash. Lot of the bad teams are much better.

The bears have a good defense, they cant run the ball, but if they can get the pass game going they can pile on some wins.

Not saying playoffs, but if he wins 8-9 games he's keeping his job sadly. If he survived last offseason you need utter chaos for him to be fired after this year.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:

Probably this

Moses Moreno

RB1 - VELUS JONES JR
Liked Posts:
Its 3 games in. chill out baby cakes, lotta the teams who look "good" right now are actually tash. Lot of the bad teams are much better.

The bears have a good defense, they cant run the ball, but if they can get the pass game going they can pile on some wins.

Not saying playoffs, but if he wins 8-9 games he's keeping his job sadly. If he survived last offseason you need utter chaos for him to be fired after this year.
Year 3 of this being a mess.

Defense doesn't have another gear and they're gonna get sick of playing great and losing. Pressure is mounting and Eberflus is out of new haircuts.

Last edited:

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
For the "Justin Fields is starting to reach his potential with the Pittsburgh Steelers" crowd

Can someone explain to me why the Steelers are dead last in the NFL in offensive touchdowns?

msadows

Liked Posts:
For the "Justin Fields is starting to reach his potential with the Pittsburgh Steelers" crowd

Can someone explain to me why the Steelers are dead last in the NFL in offensive touchdowns?

IDK, can you explain to me why J'Marcus Webb did not start for the bears in 2013? Or why your illness still has you posting on here in 2024 when you said you'd go away 11 years ago?

greg23

Liked Posts:
Year 3 of this being a mess.

Defense doesn't have another gear and they're gonna get sick of playing great and losing. Pressure is mounting and Eberflus is out of new haircuts.
Out of new haircuts?

What til he gets the Nagy and dons a visor

BHVWGHCv2.0

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
The only guy they will fire is the Oline coach

My worry is he didn't fire him last year. It could be a VJJ thing for who knows what reason.

Uhh, because all he does is win???
I guess those goal posts have now been moved.
Make up your mind, do you require the QB to get Ws or do you require stats? I'm pretty sure if he did get the stats they would be claimed to be garbage time.

What it comes down to is the team, the organization. Like I've said for the last 3 QBs you can win with them. Except this organization can't win with anyone. They don't play to player strengths, they don't build to score they build to defend.

It would be fair for you to explain how Pittsburgh is able to have a defensive team and still have enough offense to win while that recipe seems to have eluded the McCaskey Bears.

Liked Posts:

Because they are dead first in the NFL in wins? They convert on 3rd downs and control the ball. And Fields is actually playing much better in the regular season than he did in the preseason with the Steelers. Were you actually expecting Fields to be an MVP candidate this year (like Silvy did last year)?

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

So are we done with yards now?