Now that the coping period has concluded(for most)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So if they bring Belli back, the bar is set at playoffs and anything less will be a disappointment greater than this years miss?

I would have to see the rest of the division to get a opinion. Feb is a good time to do that as teams are what they will be in Apr.

I think a quick answer is no. There is too much dependency on unproven. There is too much what if added to this. Even with Belli we can say what if at 1B, 3B, CF, BP, and SP.

Wicks is going into his first full year. He is a what if.
There is a spot open in the rotation. There are a few what if answers there.
3B what if Morel plays there. What if Mad takes it. What if Mad stays healthy. Metrics wise he was one of the best D 3B in the game. So that is a what if case.
1B is a void of what if.
CF is a what if.
How about what if Horton or Shaw shot up and force roster change.
What if Canario forces full time play. Who gets bumped.

So I do not see this team as a play off team. Even with Belli. Belli brings stability year 1 and becomes a part going forward. So on a multi year deal he would be vital going forward. If we are talking about a 1 year like Hoskins it really just means Mervis is not your guy as Hoskins has been one of the worst D 1B in baseball and Jed just wants a HR stick out there to get some run generation.

Short answer they are not a play off team next year. They will struggle to be above .500. But they should improve as the youth starts to adjust back to the league.

I have said this in the past. If Jed is going to go home grown just say it. They spent into self development and if they want to push out talent you have to give them opportunity to adjust. This is basically the Rays with the ability to spend on a rental every year if done right.