**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Poles is on record for a year now saying he wants to be selective. He doesn’t want to overspend. He could have done it with Roquan but hit his limit and said “I’m out.” He’s not going to exceed his limits just to get a guy. He could have still signed Larry O but backed out for medicals. He has his parameters and won’t exceed them.

You honestly believe he's not gonna pay big this year when he has double the cap space of the next closest team? Poles will need to spend big just to reach the cap floor.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
Poles is on record for a year now saying he wants to be selective. He doesn’t want to overspend. He could have done it with Roquan but hit his limit and said “I’m out.” He’s not going to exceed his limits just to get a guy. He could have still signed Larry O but backed out for medicals. He has his parameters and won’t exceed them.

He's also on record saying that sometimes you need to overspend in free agency. He mentioned he's going to be selective. Selective does not mean cheap. What part of this is confusing for you?

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
Not confused at all. Saying your response to me was pointless.

As I'm sure you're aware, that's dongbears70's M.O. - pointless posts.

He's also on record saying that sometimes you need to overspend in free agency. He mentioned he's going to be selective. Selective does not mean cheap. What part of this is confusing for you?

If he selectively spends, then I've got no problems at all with that. I'm worried about reckless spending just because they have the space. If he's signing meh players to big deals, I'll become worried. Until then, I'll take what he's said that he'll spend selectively for quality players. If he's gotta overpay a few meh guy or two to 1 year deals, then so be it. Just avoid the multi-year garbage anchor contracts.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You honestly believe he's not gonna pay big this year when he has double the cap space of the next closest team? Poles will need to spend big just to reach the cap floor.

Of course he does. I’ve pointed this out numerous times. But he’s not going to pay 10 mil more than what he thinks the market is just to get a “difference maker”. He’s going to move on to plan B,C,D etc. He’s said this in interviews.

Roquan was plan A. But maybe Poles had him at 16 when Roquan wanted 20. Rather than overpay he traded him.

It’ll be the same in free agency. He’s not going to overpay just to get a guy. He’s going to move to plan B.

I’m just going by what he’s done and his actual words.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
To you.

Also, clearly the injury affected his market

Lol ok so if he he spends 22m on Payne then wouldnt that just be overspending to you as others may just consider that a fair price for Payne?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Would love to know where he said that. Thanks

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Lol ok so if he he spends 22m on Payne then wouldnt that just be overspending to you as others may just consider that a fair price for Payne?
Not sure what you’re getting at here

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not sure what you’re getting at here

You are saying he wont overspend in FA but that is an entirely subjective determination as you just pointed out so if you say 22m is too much for Payne then why wouldn't the response simply be "to you but that is his market rate."

Point is how are you independently deciding what amout is too much and what amount is the market value of the player?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You are saying he wont overspend in FA but that is an entirely subjective determination as you just pointed out so if you say 22m is too much for Payne then why wouldn't the response simply be "to you but that is his market rate."

Point is how are you independently deciding what amout is too much and what amount is the market value of the player?

I’m not deciding.

Poles is.

You said Larry O wasn’t worth 13.

I said to you.

To Poles he was.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
I’d make an argument he was going to overspend on Ogunjobi. Payne is also way better.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I’m not deciding.

Poles is.

You said Larry O wasn’t worth 13.

I said to you.

To Poles he was.

Right so if Poles pays Payne 22m then you are saying that isnt an overpay because Poles thought he was worth it? Then when will it ever be an overpay?

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Right so if Poles pays Payne 22m then you are saying that isnt an overpay because Poles thought he was worth it? Then when will it ever be an overpay?
It will be an overpay when Poles goes over HIS personal valuation just to get a guy.

What you or I think the value is is not relevant.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It will be an overpay when Poles goes over HIS personal valuation just to get a guy.

What you or I think the value is is not relevant.

Ok but how would we know if he went above his personal valuation? Like how do we know he didnt go over his personal valuation on Larry O?

Not being difficult but you are setting up pretty much an unfalsifiable standard as few if any GMs are going to say I overpaid for a guy.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Ok but how would we know if he went above his personal valuation? Like how do we know he didnt go over his personal valuation on Larry O?

Not being difficult but you are setting up pretty much an unfalsifiable standard as few if any GMs are going to say I overpaid for a guy.
I mean yeah, we’re never going to know his personal evaluations. Closest we will get is watching him walk from some deals like Roquan.