**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
There's more to whether a player is ascending or not than age. Sure, Payne is a few months younger than Jones, but Payne has also played 5 years to Jones' 4. More importantly, Payne has played almost twice as many snaps (4180) and Jones (2176). This is also the first year Jones has played more than 63% of his team's snaps while Payne has played 75%+ in all but 1 year where he missed the only game of his career. I'm not saying that Payne isn't ascending. I'm saying we've seen him on the field enough to know more of what he is. And he may be worth the money it takes to sign him, but he'll never give you a surplus value because he's going to get paid as the 2nd best DT in the league and he'll never be more than that as long as Donald is around.

I agree with your assessment of Jones. I'm not arguing that Jones is better than Payne in anyway. But Jones has also been a 3-4DE, not a 4-3 three-technique. Granted, he plays the 3T in nickel the majority of the time, but that, to me, is another area where you can see some ascension from Jones in the base D.

And I wasn't assuming he'd be Grady Jarrett. Just saying IF he can be that, he gives you surplus value for what his contract is likely to be. Because he may be the 10th highest paid DT, but he could give you top 5 performance.

Again, I'm not arguing that I prefer Jones over Payne. I'm arguing that Poles may, and I'm explaining why. You don't have to prove to me that Payne is a better player, because I know that. Everyone knows that, that's why the price tags will be vastly different in free agency. Point is, what are you willing to pay for that difference, is all.
I'd rather pay a guy #2 money knowing he'll likely be a top 5 player than pay a guy #10 money, hoping for him to exceed that pay, but also knowing there's a possibility he falls more in the mid to bottom half of the league as far as his quality of play.

Saying all this, I'm not against Jones (if they can't get payne), I'm just saying I prefer the guy who you know he will make an elite impact.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Play the opp end on the dt fa scenario. Yes I’m all in on Payne to open up possibilities with the draft picks. But when was the highest paid dt fa worked out? I remember the suh and haynesworth fa pick ups become epic fails. Makes me kind of wish ogun the broken worked out last off season despite wanting oline help in fa. Just something to think about

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
does it not worry others that payne had this awesome year when he's up for a new contract? as others have mentioned, there are those that just dont play as hard after getting their big payday and we all know payne will be looking for a recording breaking deal in some sort of way.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I'd rather pay a guy #2 money knowing he'll likely be a top 5 player than pay a guy #10 money, hoping for him to exceed that pay, but also knowing there's a possibility he falls more in the mid to bottom half of the league as far as his quality of play.

Saying all this, I'm not against Jones (if they can't get payne), I'm just saying I prefer the guy who you know he will make an elite impact.
But you don't know that with Payne. He arguably hasn't even been a top 5 DT before this year (could argue he's not this year either). He could be Albert Haynesworth, get a ton of money and then get fat and lazy. Obviously, that's probably a long shot, but that's what free agency is. Guys get overpaid. It's better to overpay a guy 15M AAV than 22M AAV.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
does it not worry others that payne had this awesome year when he's up for a new contract? as others have mentioned, there are those that just dont play as hard after getting their big payday and we all know payne will be looking for a recording breaking deal in some sort of way.
No because he was a great player before this year.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'm really hoping for CHI to double down on WR in the draft. Somehow het JSN and one of the next tier WRs like Downs or Flowers (depending on who is available obviously).

And then draft OL everywhere else lol
If they do double down on WR, then move Claypool for a late pick. Accept the L on it Poles

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
But you don't know that with Payne. He arguably hasn't even been a top 5 DT before this year (could argue he's not this year either). He could be Albert Haynesworth, get a ton of money and then get fat and lazy. Obviously, that's probably a long shot, but that's what free agency is. Guys get overpaid. It's better to overpay a guy 15M AAV than 22M AAV.
Hes been a great player his entire career. He just had an elite year in his contract year. I'd be fine with his previous production as he was already great. I think he was already an 18-20 mill/yr guy, the pass rush production probably adds an extra 2-3 mill/yr to that #. I have no issue with that.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I think his numbers were better this year because they had him playing more 1 gap and attacking upfield more.

Imo he's been a really good player his whole career, just in a different role.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
There's more to whether a player is ascending or not than age. Sure, Payne is a few months younger than Jones, but Payne has also played 5 years to Jones' 4. More importantly, Payne has played almost twice as many snaps (4180) and Jones (2176). This is also the first year Jones has played more than 63% of his team's snaps while Payne has played 75%+ in all but 1 year where he missed the only game of his career. I'm not saying that Payne isn't ascending. I'm saying we've seen him on the field enough to know more of what he is. And he may be worth the money it takes to sign him, but he'll never give you a surplus value because he's going to get paid as the 2nd best DT in the league and he'll never be more than that as long as Donald is around.

I agree with your assessment of Jones. I'm not arguing that Jones is better than Payne in anyway. But Jones has also been a 3-4DE, not a 4-3 three-technique. Granted, he plays the 3T in nickel the majority of the time, but that, to me, is another area where you can see some ascension from Jones in the base D.

And I wasn't assuming he'd be Grady Jarrett. Just saying IF he can be that, he gives you surplus value for what his contract is likely to be. Because he may be the 10th highest paid DT, but he could give you top 5 performance.

Again, I'm not arguing that I prefer Jones over Payne. I'm arguing that Poles may, and I'm explaining why. You don't have to prove to me that Payne is a better player, because I know that. Everyone knows that, that's why the price tags will be vastly different in free agency. Point is, what are you willing to pay for that difference, is all.
I'd worry about wear and tear from all those snaps than from anything else with Payne. That is a ton of snaps for a guy that size.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Not that good of a senior WR class. The only guy I like in the 1st 2 days that's going to be in Mobile is Rashee Rice. Big fan of his though.

The OL group looks particularly intriguing. Darnell Wright, Blake Freeland (physical clone of McGlinchey), Andrew Vorhees, Nick Broeker, Oluwatimi, OCyrus Torrence, Jaelyn Duncan, John Michael Schmitz, Cody Mauch, Matt Bergeron, Steve Avila, Alex Forsyth, and Dawand Jones are all interesting.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nobody is saying he won't sign big names, just not the biggest or highest paid at those positions. If it is anyone then i would think it would be D.Payne or an OL. Flus wants his 3T so maybe Poles gives him his most important position for his defense and then goes shopping for some lesser paid guys but still good players.

So he wont sign the big names unless it is someone he or Flus really wants. Awesome analysis.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Think people worrying too much about how much guys cost. The Bears need good players. Get the good players. The Bears would have to sign multiple big time guys and have them all fail to make a dent in our long term cap situation.

There is no signing this offseason that will ruin the Bears. What will ruin the Bears is not getting enough good players.

If Poles decides Payne is the best player he can get then go fucking get him. Can't be paralyzed by the the risk of failure.