**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
So then whats he gonna do with the other 70 million? Wipe his ass with it?
What are you even talking about? You don't have to spend 120Mil by only signing 20Mil/year guys.

Basically,
Payne will cost 20-22Mil/year. Dre'Mont Jones may cost 14-16Mil
Orlando Brown will cost 20-22Mil/year. Kaleb McGary may cost 15-17Mil
Roquan Smith would have cost 20Mil/year. TJ Edwards may cost 12-14Mil

You sign 2-3 of those 12-16Mil guys, sign a few guys in the 8-12 range, sign your draft picks, re-sign Kmet, Johnson, and Mooney.....you go thru that money real quick. Not to mention the Bears will have like 25 spots to fill on the roster anyway. The Bears spent over 40Mil toward the cap this year on FAs and they didn't sign anyone for more than 6 Mil.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The cost pf someone at $20m/year over $15m/year is not much more than negligible with the rising cap amount, the Bears cap space available, and amortization.

That said there are only a few players who will hit FA that will command $20m+ AAV in this cycle.

All things considered I think Poles has to target the top tier players across DL and one at IOL and OT. He won't get all of them, of course. He's going to build through the draft anyway, may as well try to get the best players available in FA while you can and before you have a chance to amass enough homegrown talent from the draft.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Poles tried to sign Larry O last year to a decent sized contract with limited cap. He will almost certainly sign a couple of big name free agents as he pretty much has to in order to hit the minimum cash spend this year as they are way below it.
Nobody is saying he won't sign big names, just not the biggest or highest paid at those positions. If it is anyone then i would think it would be D.Payne or an OL. Flus wants his 3T so maybe Poles gives him his most important position for his defense and then goes shopping for some lesser paid guys but still good players.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The cost pf someone at $20m/year over $15m/year is not much more than negligible with the rising cap amount, the Bears cap space available, and amortization.

That said there are only a few players who will hit FA that will command $20m+ AAV in this cycle.

All things considered I think Poles has to target the top tier players across DL and one at IOL and OT. He won't get all of them, of course. He's going to build through the draft anyway, may as well try to get the best players available in FA while you can and before you have a chance to amass enough homegrown talent from the draft.
I mean, it's still a business and you still have to make smart business decisions. Payne at 20Mil/year, best case is going to give you 20Mil/year play for a few years. By the end of the contract, he probably isn't (hopefully you can cut with minimal dead cap hit). But a player who is ascending and at 15Mil/year, best case scenario is going to give you 20Mil/year play for a few years.

Payne is probably going to get closer to 22Mil/year. He'll be the 2nd highest paid DT to Aaron Donald. We know Aaron Donald's value is "best defensive player in the league". His AAV shows what that is worth (31.67M). We can pretty much safely assume Payne isn't going to be the best defensive player in the league at any point. He's still damn good. But even if he is the 2nd best DT in the league, his value is the 2nd best DT money....which is 22Mil AAV, which is what he'd be getting paid.

Jones isn't going to be Donald either. But he could be DeForest Buckner level, who puts up double digit sacks and is a force in the run game. Right now, Jones is valued at probably 12-15Mil/year. But if he puts up Buckner level play, you're getting play that's worth Buckner's AAV of 21Mil. Even if he only puts up Grady Jarrett numbers (worth 16.8Mil AAV) that's still a surplus, making his signing a value.

Point being, I see Poles going more for guys that can provide surplus value over guys that are break even in performance vs pay.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:

Agreed. This idea that he won't target top players in FA because he didn't last year (much different situation) and he's said he will build through the draft is a little crazy to me. Building through the draft doesn't mean not targeting difference makers in FA when they are available. I don't expect him to go wild, but I would be a little shocked if he doesn't target some top players at position of need in FA.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
I mean, it's still a business and you still have to make smart business decisions. Payne at 20Mil/year, best case is going to give you 20Mil/year play for a few years. By the end of the contract, he probably isn't (hopefully you can cut with minimal dead cap hit). But a player who is ascending and at 15Mil/year, best case scenario is going to give you 20Mil/year play for a few years.

Payne is probably going to get closer to 22Mil/year. He'll be the 2nd highest paid DT to Aaron Donald. We know Aaron Donald's value is "best defensive player in the league". His AAV shows what that is worth (31.67M). We can pretty much safely assume Payne isn't going to be the best defensive player in the league at any point. He's still damn good. But even if he is the 2nd best DT in the league, his value is the 2nd best DT money....which is 22Mil AAV, which is what he'd be getting paid.

Jones isn't going to be Donald either. But he could be DeForest Buckner level, who puts up double digit sacks and is a force in the run game. Right now, Jones is valued at probably 12-15Mil/year. But if he puts up Buckner level play, you're getting play that's worth Buckner's AAV of 21Mil. Even if he only puts up Grady Jarrett numbers (worth 16.8Mil AAV) that's still a surplus, making his signing a value.

Point being, I see Poles going more for guys that can provide surplus value over guys that are break even in performance vs pay.
I am #teamJones all the way.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I want one of those. I know everyone wants a 3T and it's a bigger need in general, but a dominant nose is pretty valuable as well. I actually like Jalen Carter more as a NT than a 3T, so my dream is to get Buckner from the Colts and draft Carter at 4 and build our own Payne/Allen combo.
My dream scenario. Trade from #1 to #2, then #2 to #4 and then #4 to #9 and get DT Brown from the Panthers as well as a future 1st and other picks

dennehy

Liked Posts:

To me, there is no argument for thinking Jones is going to be Buckner, or that Jones is 'ascending' and Payne is not. Jones is older than Payne. Payne is simply a better player and a much lower risk investment.

Jones is and always been a feast or famine player. He's unlikely to be a great run defender because he weighs like 285 lbs and simply doesn't have the game to be consistently good against the run. He is way less versatile than Payne, really unable to play 2 gap effectively from my viewing of him.

Even assuming he's going to be Grady Jarrett is a huge jump imo. I'd say that with how thin the Bears are at DL, I'd prefer paying more a guy who is much more likely to be very impactful, and certainly is more of an anchor.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Agreed. This idea that he won't target top players in FA because he didn't last year (much different situation) and he's said he will build through the draft is a little crazy to me. Building through the draft doesn't mean not targeting difference makers in FA when they are available. I don't expect him to go wild, but I would be a little shocked if he doesn't target some top players at position of need in FA.
Yep, they need a difference maker on the DL in free agency.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
If it's not payne (because he re-signs), I'm probably targeting Hargreaves. Onyematta is another decent option.
Payne and Hargreaves would be my first two choices. Zach Allen is an interesting guy, kind of a hybrid IDL/base end, Dre'Mont, for cheaper Sheldon Rankins and DeMarcus Walker. Or Ogunjobi but I think that ship may have sailed.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Payne and Hargreaves would be my first two choices. Zach Allen is an interesting guy, kind of a hybrid IDL/base end, Dre'Mont, for cheaper Sheldon Rankins and DeMarcus Walker. Or Ogunjobi but I think that ship may have sailed.
There really is a lot of good options on the DL. Obviously all of those won't make it to FA but with the amount that are available, the Bears should be able to seriously improve the DL.

Secondary and LB have a ton of good options as well. They could do a lot of work on defense in FA, grab a couple solid pieces on O and hope the can upgrade the offense substantially in the draft.

Honestly, with all their resources they have a lot of different routes they could go. I'll be interested to see if it looks like they actually had a plan come May when we can see what they pieced together.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Targeting and being willing to pay the price caused by a bidding war are two different things. Obviously, Poles will target anyone that will help the team. But it remains to be seen if he pays top dollar for the top guys.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
To me, there is no argument for thinking Jones is going to be Buckner, or that Jones is 'ascending' and Payne is not. Jones is older than Payne. Payne is simply a better player and a much lower risk investment.

Jones is and always been a feast or famine player. He's unlikely to be a great run defender because he weighs like 285 lbs and simply doesn't have the game to be consistently good against the run. He is way less versatile than Payne, really unable to play 2 gap effectively from my viewing of him.

Even assuming he's going to be Grady Jarrett is a huge jump imo. I'd say that with how thin the Bears are at DL, I'd prefer paying more a guy who is much more likely to be very impactful, and certainly is more of an anchor.
There's more to whether a player is ascending or not than age. Sure, Payne is a few months younger than Jones, but Payne has also played 5 years to Jones' 4. More importantly, Payne has played almost twice as many snaps (4180) and Jones (2176). This is also the first year Jones has played more than 63% of his team's snaps while Payne has played 75%+ in all but 1 year where he missed the only game of his career. I'm not saying that Payne isn't ascending. I'm saying we've seen him on the field enough to know more of what he is. And he may be worth the money it takes to sign him, but he'll never give you a surplus value because he's going to get paid as the 2nd best DT in the league and he'll never be more than that as long as Donald is around.

I agree with your assessment of Jones. I'm not arguing that Jones is better than Payne in anyway. But Jones has also been a 3-4DE, not a 4-3 three-technique. Granted, he plays the 3T in nickel the majority of the time, but that, to me, is another area where you can see some ascension from Jones in the base D.

And I wasn't assuming he'd be Grady Jarrett. Just saying IF he can be that, he gives you surplus value for what his contract is likely to be. Because he may be the 10th highest paid DT, but he could give you top 5 performance.

Again, I'm not arguing that I prefer Jones over Payne. I'm arguing that Poles may, and I'm explaining why. You don't have to prove to me that Payne is a better player, because I know that. Everyone knows that, that's why the price tags will be vastly different in free agency. Point is, what are you willing to pay for that difference, is all.