**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
FWIW, I don't think the Bears do go after Payne. Based on what Poles has done and said (which honestly, isn't that much) I think the Bears go more for players who still have some upside and may not be in their primes yet. Granted, Payne is only 25, but he's more of a big splash and he kind of is what he is for the most part. He could develop consistency, but IDK if that's worth the gamble in Poles' eyes.

I think the Bears will be much more interested in players like Dre'Mont Jones, who are starting to figure out what they can do in this league and may have the ability to take it up another notch. I think the Bears will go after guys who weren't necessarily top picks who were thrown into starting roles early on. I think they'll go more for role players who have improved every year and are ready for a breakout season.

Dre’Mont Jones is another guy who may get tagged. We really just need to wait a month to know who’s there.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Dre’Mont Jones is another guy who may get tagged. We really just need to wait a month to know who’s there.
Zero chance Jones gets franchise tagged. He'd be getting significantly more than if they just extended him. They could transition tag him which would leave him open to being taken still.

Broncos also have limited cap. So it depends on where their priorities are. Because they also have guys like risner and jeudy who need new contracts.

Last edited:

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Sounds to me like offensive HCs are better at putting together complete teams and staffs while defensive guys think acronyms wins games.

You cannot argue with the trend. People posted the same kind of lists last year where you had Sean McDermott and like one other defensive coach. Then it became "the lists are unfair, there are more offensive head coaches in the NFL" yes, there are and there's a reason for that.

9 of the NFLs top 10 offenses in yards made the playoffs, 9 of 10 in points. 2 defensive HCs in both categories
5 of the NFLs top 10 defenses in yards made the playoffs, 6 of 10 in points. 1 defensive HC and a STs HC in points, 2 D HCs in yards.

Arguing this in 2023 is dumb. No one says a defensive guy cant work but going against the trend only puts you against the odds.

Dont @ me.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Zero chance Jones gets franchise tagged. He'd be getting significantly more than if they just extended him. They could transition tag him which would leave him open to being taken still for draft picks.

Broncos also have limited cap. So it depends on where their priorities are. Because they also have guys like risner and jeudy who need new contracts.

I’ve read numerous times over the last couple months its a possibility. Probably much less than Payne IMO. I’ve seen enough cap manipulation over the years though to never make a statement like “zero chance”. The more likely chance is they extend him before free agency.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I’ve read numerous times over the last couple months its a possibility. Probably much less than Payne IMO. I’ve seen enough cap manipulation over the years though to never make a statement like “zero chance”. The more likely chance is they extend him before free agency.
Absolutely 0 chance they franchise him. Doesn't even make sense. Either transition tag him, extend him or let him walk. Those are the only logical solutions with him

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

@remydat eat your heart out. From 10:50 on it’s a massive dump on your boy Tom Brady

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Zero chance Jones gets franchise tagged. He'd be getting significantly more than if they just extended him. They could transition tag him which would leave him open to being taken still for draft picks.

There is speculation that they may tag Jones. But I agree, seems like a longshot. They have about 12-13M in cap space, and DT tag is almost 19Mil. But their only starters who are FAs are Jones and Risner, and then a couple guys over 30 who are replaceable (Kareem Jackson, DeShawn Williams). And despite not being a very good team, they do have decent enough talent there to improve a lot next year with better coaching.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

This most recent episode of Draft Dudes had Bijan Robinson going #7 overall to the Raiders. There was no argument and agreement.

He is in the top 3 of most talented player in this draft and may be more of a sure thing than Anderson, an undersized 3-4 OLB, and Carter, who gets gassed. He is the TOP Offensive player in the draft, and it isn’t even close.
Good chance he goes to Detroit at #6

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Yes, because fan logic and NFL GM logic are always compatible.
It doesn't make sense with nfl logic either. Outside of qb (kirk cousins) I'm not sure I've ever seen a team use the franchise tag on mid tier guys at their position. You can say gesicki/Schultz, but outside of andrews/kelce/waller there weren't many TEs considered better than them.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

This most recent episode of Draft Dudes had Bijan Robinson going #7 overall to the Raiders. There was no argument and agreement.

He is in the top 3 of most talented player in this draft and may be more of a sure thing than Anderson, an undersized 3-4 OLB, and Carter, who gets gassed. He is the TOP Offensive player in the draft, and it isn’t even close.
I don't think anyone disagrees with that. The only disagreement comes from where you draft a RB with that position being one of the easiest to find and do you want to pay that RB the kind of money he'll want in 4-5 years. Now Bijan is on a different level than any other RB that you can get in the draft or free agency with Saquan being an injury risk but you don't have to have greatness at RB to win in the NFL.

I'd be fine with taking him in the middle of the first but there's a lot of players that will be there in the middle of the first that i'd be fine with us taking with how many holes we have on this team.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
"Everything has been in discussion," Jones said. "The tag has been talked about. And we've seen the trend, so we'll see how that goes."

Here’s a direct quote from Jones himself saying the tag has been talked about. @Chicagosports89

Why do you guys always doubt me on this shit? ?

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
There is speculation that they may tag Jones. But I agree, seems like a longshot. They have about 12-13M in cap space, and DT tag is almost 19Mil. But their only starters who are FAs are Jones and Risner, and then a couple guys over 30 who are replaceable (Kareem Jackson, DeShawn Williams). And despite not being a very good team, they do have decent enough talent there to improve a lot next year with better coaching.
Place a transition tag on him and move on. No reason to spend $4-5 million extra to keep a mid tier DT

Last edited:

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
"Everything has been in discussion," Jones said. "The tag has been talked about. And we've seen the trend, so we'll see how that goes."

Here’s a direct quote from Jones himself saying the tag has been talked about. @Chicagosports89

Why do you guys always doubt me on this shit? ?
It'd mean more of the gm said it had been talked about. Whose Jones discussing it with? His agent? Maybe he is talking about the transition tag too because that would make a lot more sense.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It'd mean more of the gm said it had been talked about. Whose Jones discussing it with? His agent? Maybe he is talking about the transition tag too because that would make a lot more sense.

It was in a Denver paper and the topic was the franchise tag

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
FWIW, I don't think the Bears do go after Payne. Based on what Poles has done and said (which honestly, isn't that much) I think the Bears go more for players who still have some upside and may not be in their primes yet. Granted, Payne is only 25, but he's more of a big splash and he kind of is what he is for the most part. He could develop consistency, but IDK if that's worth the gamble in Poles' eyes.

I think the Bears will be much more interested in players like Dre'Mont Jones, who are starting to figure out what they can do in this league and may have the ability to take it up another notch. I think the Bears will go after guys who weren't necessarily top picks who were thrown into starting roles early on. I think they'll go more for role players who have improved every year and are ready for a breakout season.
Everyone talks about all that money we have but with the amount of holes we have, our own players we need to re-sign and the draft class which will grow after we do one or even two trade downs, that money can go pretty quickly, especially if we sign any $20 mil aav guys like everyone thinks Payne will be. I know there's many ways to structure contracts to give us even more money to spend for this offseason if Poles wanted to but i can definitely see him to go another way other than Payne for 3T. I mean he'll definitely make the call to Payne's agent to see the price and maybe even throw a lowball offer out there or he isn't doing his job but won't be surprised if he goes another way for 3T and other positions other than the high $ guys.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

@remydat eat your heart out. From 10:50 on it’s a massive dump on your boy Tom Brady
Brady kinda sucked this year... at least compareto expectations. He was still trying to make those tight placement throws he used to and just unable.