**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nobody said anything about him being significantly (or even marginally) better. I'm just saying, you using counting stats to argue why Bijan isn't worth a pick as high as CMC, is a bad argument. This stuff here is actually a solid argument.

That being said, 337 is an absurb number that only 2 players had more carries than in 2022, and Jacobs only beat that by 3 carries. No team will be asking him to carry the ball that much, if they are smart. In fact, nobody asks anyone to carry the ball that much except 240lb Henry. Other than him 1 other time, no other RB has had over 315 carries since 2014. Hell, McCaffrey himself only came within 50 of 337 carries in the NFL. And when he did have a 287 carry season, he missed most of the next 2 seasons.

It literally does 0 for me for a RB to show he can take an unnecessary beating in college. I also couldn't give 2 craps about counting stats. I'm a traits guy, and Bijan has elite traits. Up there with the top RB prospects of the last 10 years. I probably wouldn't draft him in the top 10 if I'm the Bears either but he's certainly a top 10 worthy prospect.
No it isnt because you are looking at that comment in isolation. Again the comment was elite production and elite talent. It is both.

The fact few RBs get that level of production these days is precisely why few if any RBs are worth a top 10 pick.

Again how many SB champions needed a RB drafted in the top 10?

48 first round RBs have been drafted in the 2000s. Two have won a SB ie Lynch and Lewis. The vast majority of these guys were not worth drafting that high.

The only RBs out of 48 I would have drafted in the top 10 are Tomlinson and Peterson. As good as Jackson, Lynch and Lewis were I would not draft them top 10. And Barkley and CMC have been too injury prone for me to draft them that high in hindsight. Few of these guys work put so you are talking spending a premium pick again on one of the easiest and cheapest positions to fill with a high risk of injuries. No thanks.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Gotta say, I'm feeling pessimistic on what the Bears did with the #1 pick today. Looking at Panthers adding Chark... this is somewhat what we were begging Poles to do last year for Fields. Add some veteran receiver talent, not a Pringle or ESB. Get a good o-line in place. Panthers obviously can't replace DJ Moore but they've done pretty alright considering. It's a very good situation for a rookie QB to step into. Big hypothetical retrospective, but:

Poles is too nice I think, has a good relationship with the Panthers. He said he didn't know what Texans or Colts would do, while he knew the Panthers organization. Who cares! You're playing poker, there should be nerves involved dealing a 1st. DJ is sweet and I'm excited, but you could have landed not as ideal alternatives; Hopkins for 2nd and future 2nd, Chark/Thielen combo Panthers snatched for nothing, etc. Or JSN at whatever pick we eventually landed at of course.

I think a case can be made when trading from #1, you go the least amount back from #1, while receiving an additional 1st in return. I'm sure you could have gotten a swap, a 2nd rounder, and a '24 1st with the Colts. Which puts you at #4, with two 1sts next year. Now you sit in Will Anderson/Jalen territory worst case scenario.

Is it ideal for the Panthers, who wanted to give the big haul for the #1? No. But you're not trying to create ideals for your competitors, on or off the field. Not trying to put their mind at ease. Especially when the value of the Bears return depends on their future record. Now whoever is the Colts QB, be it Bryce (too small), Stroud (needs system in place), or Richardson/Levis (too raw), they're not going to do well with the Colts after looking at what Matt Ryan or Foles did last year. Colts are a structural mess. Rookie QB's traditionally have bad first years if they play, and the Colts are desperate. Desperate is GREAT. I think you want to play the odds of poor playing rookie QBs, by diversifying your '24 first rounders over multiple teams.

From #4, you trade back and get one more '24 1st. Arizona becomes your trade rival in this situation, and any trade partner will leverage Arizona with yourself. But its not such a threat, because then Will Anderson falls in your lap. Bottom line, Raiders/Panthers/Titans trade a '24 1st and a 2nd. I think the Panthers with Richardson/Levis are worse than with Young/Stroud. Titans are on a downward trajectory, Raiders same thing.

Basically, '23 draft we sit at #9 with two early 2nds (Kancey or Abewore?). And next year's draft you swoop in for the king's ransom: a Colts 1st, Panthers/Raiders/Titans 1st (with Richardson or Levis starting), and your own. I think that's two top 10 likely, maybe even top 3 (Marvin Harrison Jr territory). In poker you can't guarantee what's going to happen, but you play the odds. With three 1sts, you are announcing your arrival as a serious threat to the league. Maybe you improve in '23, now you're adding 3 blue chippers following that season. You open up possibility for Caleb if Fields doesn't work, you open up trading/working future 1sts.

I get a sense along with wanting to make fair deals for his trade partners, Poles also gets impatient when he can't see the next move waiting ahead. Claypool was that, and DJ less so but a little similar (him calling DJ a blue chip player). I think if you value the draft, the flexibility and top level players it opens up for you, you don't give away a future 1st for DJ, a #32 for Claypool. You trust the receiver will come, but in meantime max out the value of those 1sts by creating uphill battles for your opponents.

Can't help but feel we now risk Panther's '24 pick being middle of the road, and essentially we have DJ and some 2nd rounder in '25 as our bounty. Suddenly our huge opportunity turns out "fine" but we miss taking the league by the balls

How many times in NFL history has what you said been done and what was the comp?

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
He has had issues with drops his entire career. By the way, he had seven drops last year and not three. So you're just kinda wrong about this.
Nope he had 6 on 118 targets. His drop rate was actually league average. guys like Adams, Hill and Chase all had more than DJ did.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
No it isnt because you are looking at that comment in isolation. Again the comment was elite production and elite talent. It is both.

The fact few RBs get that level of production these days is precisely why few if any RBs are worth a top 10 pick.

48 first round RBs have been drafted in the 2000s. Two have won a SB ie Lynch and Lewis. The vast majority of these guys were not worth drafting that high.

The only RBs out of 48 I would have drafted in the top 10 are Tomlinson and Peterson. As good as Jackson, Lynch and Lewis were I would not draft them top 10. And Barkley and CMC have been too injury prone for me to draft them that high in hindsight. Few of these guys work put so you are talking spending a premium pick again on one of the easiest and cheapest positions to fill with a high risk of injuries. No thanks.
Then it is a good thing that BR compares so well to Tomlinson. So, once again, he’s not just a running back. He is as much of a transcendent weapon as Deebo is a WR. Getting him at 9 would be a coup for the Bears.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Then it is a good thing that BR compares so well to Tomlinson. So, once again, he’s not just a running back. He is as much of a transcendent weapon as Deebo is a WR. Getting him at 9 would be a coup for the Bears.

Yeah except for the fact Tomlinson had 2k yards from scrimmage twice in his college career. Dont think we should be drafting guys assuming they will produce like one of the greatest RBs of all time. Chances of him having a Tomlinson type career is slim.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

I was literally only arguing your logic. First, it wasn't elite production, when it actually WAS elite production just not at elite volume. Then it was that elite volume actually matters.

But yeah, otherwise you're preaching to the choir. I don't want to take him in the top 10 as a Bears fan, but somebody probably should.

Herb Gardner

Liked Posts:
When you were shown to be wrong, now your trying to argue something else.
Go back to school.
[ you’re ]

I’ve been coming here for Bears news since almost the beginning of CBMB, way before BOB and when DBEARS54 was supplying most of the info. I’ve read some really stupid shit throughout the years, but congrats, you win the stupid trophy. I’m sure you proofread your reply before posting too, 3rd grade was a bitch, wasn’t it?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I was literally only arguing your logic. First, it wasn't elite production, when it actually WAS elite production just not at elite volume. Then it was that elite volume actually matters.

But yeah, otherwise you're preaching to the choir. I don't want to take him in the top 10 as a Bears fan, but somebody probably should.

No my comment about elite production was clearly referencing yards. You then responded based on your opinion that elite production is about per carry numbers. You are free to believe that but I am not bound by your opinion.