**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Was it not some solace that many of those terrible, game-defining WR mistakes were made by players who were destined to leave the team in short order? Pettis and Smith-Marsette can't cost us chances at a win, ESB is relegated to the bench and I wouldn't be shocked if he fails to make the final roster, and I think everyone would prefer that Poles cut bait with VJJ and give his roster spot to someone who has a better chance of success.

Small improvements across the board lead to large steps forward. Fields has a clear path to address his shortcomings, there is a committee of weapons that can handle an NFL defense, and while depth at OL is a concern, a few of the positions have competitive players. I really do think that this offense is one tackle and a center away from being genuinely good, with the only caveat being health.
I'm actually in on seeing what VJJ can do in year two and i've been killing Poles for that pick in the 3rd round since he made it. He did some things in the last few games of the season that gave me some belief in him having some value, still hate using a 3rd on him though.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I'm actually in on seeing what VJJ can do in year two and i've been killing Poles for that pick in the 3rd round since he made it. He did some things in the last few games of the season that gave me some belief in him having some value, still hate using a 3rd on him though.
While he can certainly improve, with Moore on the team, he has to outplay Claypool to see the field as a third option. Even if they are both underwhelming, it isnt hard to see Claypool being the better option in most cases simply for having an impressive catch radius as a boundary receiver.

VJJ had one catch (by my recollection and I bet everyone is thinking the same play) where he looked like he could cut it in the NFL with a defined role on offense, and the rest of the year he looked like the illegitimate son of Bobby Wade. I am not against his success, but I am not optimistic. It may sting that a 3rd rounder was spent on him, but the roster spot is more valuable than the cost to obtain most players, and it is better to just accept that as the past and move on for the sake of the future of the team.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
While he can certainly improve, with Moore on the team, he has to outplay Claypool to see the field as a third option. Even if they are both underwhelming, it isnt hard to see Claypool being the better option in most cases simply for having an impressive catch radius as a boundary receiver.

VJJ had one catch (by my recollection and I bet everyone is thinking the same play) where he looked like he could cut it in the NFL with a defined role on offense, and the rest of the year he looked like the illegitimate son of Bobby Wade. I am not against his success, but I am not optimistic. It may sting that a 3rd rounder was spent on him, but the roster spot is more valuable than the cost to obtain most players, and it is better to just accept that as the past and move on for the sake of the future of the team.
I get what you're saying but i'm not throwing away a 3rd round pick after his rookie season. VJJ was also used in other ways that worked for his speed like in the backfield and taking sweeps. He won't beat out Claypool as the 3rd WR but he can run some specialty plays.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

He doesn't have to be the 3rd option to have a role. The Bears had WRs go down like crazy last year. But even if they are healthy and VJJ doesn't get past 4th or 5th on the depth chart, it's worth seeing what he can do now that they have a legit #1. You can still run his gadget plays, you can still try to get him in the open field. Work hard on his punt receiving skills and you have a core special teamer as well.

I understand Velus and Claypool didn't live up to expectations, but I don't know why everyone is in a hurry to cast both aside, especially when the asset that would be used to replace them on the depth chart, would be just as high (or higher) than the assets used to get both of them.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
But being called anxious twice and portrayed as anxious throughout is not a good look for Poles, which is the point people are taking issue with.

As I said, I'm very good with the trade, but that is a different point.
What people?

The key is he never appeared anxious to the CAR GM. He nixed their first offer, allowed CAR to pursue Carr, and then let them come back to him at his demand of one of 3 players and the pick compensation he wanted.

And it his him literally saying he was anxious.

“That’s the anxiety in the parts of this job that no one sees,” he said. “It’s sitting up in bed at 2, 3 o’clock in the morning working through the scenarios and being like, ‘I have this great situation and I can’t get out.’

“It’s like a dream where you can’t run away.”

Also it is now confirmed Poles never sleeps!

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He doesn't have to be the 3rd option to have a role. The Bears had WRs go down like crazy last year. But even if they are healthy and VJJ doesn't get past 4th or 5th on the depth chart, it's worth seeing what he can do now that they have a legit #1. You can still run his gadget plays, you can still try to get him in the open field. Work hard on his punt receiving skills and you have a core special teamer as well.

I understand Velus and Claypool didn't live up to expectations, but I don't know why everyone is in a hurry to cast both aside, especially when the asset that would be used to replace them on the depth chart, would be just as high (or higher) than the assets used to get both of them.
Yep, they are going to have packages for Velus no matter what. I don't think he was ever going to be a guy you run out there for 90% of snaps, but he's going to have packages and plays designed for him.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
What people?

The key is he never appeared anxious to the CAR GM. He nixed their first offer, allowed CAR to pursue Carr, and then let them come back to him at his demand of one of 3 players and the pick compensation he wanted.

And it his him literally saying he was anxious.

“That’s the anxiety in the parts of this job that no one sees,” he said. “It’s sitting up in bed at 2, 3 o’clock in the morning working through the scenarios and being like, ‘I have this great situation and I can’t get out.’

“It’s like a dream where you can’t run away.”

Also it is now confirmed Poles never sleeps!
People are taking issue with me saying his anxious look isn't a good one, not the quality of the trade. Sorry if that isn't clear.

I'd say the key is how he looks to all GMs, not just CAR.

monkforasia

Liked Posts:
I

Trade down with Wash and select D.Wright at pick #16

I wouldn't be too made at this draft.
I would like this. Think this draft has a lot of good players in the 2nd and 3rd. Would rather keep the high 3rd to pick a top center instead of some project c.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

I am not ready to cast Claypool aside, but I think my opinion with Velus is being misinterpreted (which is probably my fault so let me offer clarity). The difference between him and a player that competes for his spot comes down to ball security, because VJJ did absolutely have issues last year when he got his chances. If he gets outplayed by a 5th round rookie (just a shot in the dark example) who is also fast and also has return skills, people will complain about the cost of drafting VJJ but we'll all be happier that a better player is on roster.

That same hypothetical 5th round rookie could spell the end of ESB on the roster, and we would also all be happier for it. The WR room could ultimately be Moore, Mooney, Claypool, VJJ and ESB going into the season and I would be fairly optimistic for them as a unit.

msadows

Liked Posts:
He’s probably meeting not just Poles but also the ownership & Teddy.

If he doesn't go to the lions at 6 I'll be shocked

What team outside of them and the bears would be interested in him in the top 9?