**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
How so? I read it as Poles didn't like CAR first offer at the combine that didn't include one of the 3 players he wanted, so CAR backed out, looked into Carr and then doubled back offering DJ Moore in place of the 3rd 1st rd pick, and the 61 and future 2nd instead of 39.

IMO, Poles could have held out for the 39, but then they wouldn't have the 2025 2nd, so kinda of a wash there.
Maybe if they'd taken #39, Montfucky would feel better about the Bears.
On second thought...Nah...
Some people just enjoy being miserable so much that any glimmer of hope gives them apoplexy.

monkforasia

Liked Posts:
Not a good look on poles bc the other gm (or owner) was happy with the trade? I mean they wouldn’t make the trade if they weren’t. Gotta give something to get their qb. Poles may or may not have gotten more. It was a good return
Wouldn't say it's a good return, I would say more of a fair return or equal value. Bears didn't "rip" the Panthers.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I’m not seeing that at all. He used his analytics team to plot scenarios and determine value. He reached out to a GM in another sport to help figure out the value of including a veteran player in the equation as opposed to simply draft picks.

He used knowledge he gained in previous meetings to help him determine how motivated suitors might be in pursuit of the top pick.

Also, he didn’t get greedy and have this deal potentially evaporate.

The article gives the impression that Poles is playing Chess, and is committed to building the Bears the right way.

Poles, Warren, and Cunningham are a breath of fresh air for this franchise. I feel like the bumbling McCaskey ownership group like the “blind squirrel” have finally found a “nut.”
I already gave my answer above. He was clearly anxious to get the deal done ASAP even though he knew CAR was willing to trade to #2.

I'm happy with the return, as I mentioned, but the article doesn't paint this as some perfect rational process as your post seems to argue.

You can make up a story that the deal was going to potentially evaporate, but it clearly states CAR was looking for a trade up and not going the FA route. They were willing to take #2. Poles appears a bit overeager here.

That said, I don't fault him for doing what he did. It was good value and the Bears knew their situation going into free agency. One in the hand two in the bush is probably the best concept for this situation.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
This would not be great.

Tuli is a nice prospect but very similar to Walker.

Johnson, not my favorite, not a high need position, not good value at 9. The CBs are both good prospects but the only way this draft makes sense is if JJ and or Claypool is traded for OL/DL help.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Right, so I don’t see why anyone would support a move that we can all admit has lower odds to succeed.
Probably because everyone knows we have many more open positions that need to be filled then just T at that #9 spot and know there's a chance that that T spot can be filled someplace else in the draft or in free agency if he doesn't fill it in the draft.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I already gave my answer above. He was clearly anxious to get the deal done ASAP even though he knew CAR was willing to trade to #2.

I'm happy with the return, as I mentioned, but the article doesn't paint this as some perfect rational process as your post seems to argue.

You can make up a story that the deal was going to potentially evaporate, but it clearly states CAR was looking for a trade up and not going the FA route. They were willing to take #2. Poles appears a bit overeager here.

That said, I don't fault him for doing what he did. It was good value and the Bears knew their situation going into free agency. One in the hand two in the bush is probably the best concept for this situation.
I believe his process was well thought out. Poles is human. I think anyone would have some anxiety with such an undertaking.

Maybe he could have received more, but my initial impression hasn’t changed. I love getting DJ Moore the player and person. Also, his contract is a real value and I’m happy with the draft pick compensation.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I believe his process was well thought out. Poles is human. I think anyone would have some anxiety with such an undertaking.

Maybe he could have received more, but my initial impression hasn’t changed. I love getting DJ Moore the player and person. Also, his contract is a real value and I’m happy with the draft pick compensation.
But being called anxious twice and portrayed as anxious throughout is not a good look for Poles, which is the point people are taking issue with.

As I said, I'm very good with the trade, but that is a different point.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
This would not be great.

Tuli is a nice prospect but very similar to Walker.

Johnson, not my favorite, not a high need position, not good value at 9. The CBs are both good prospects but the only way this draft makes sense is if JJ and or Claypool is traded for OL/DL help.
I don’t have an issue with any of the players, but I wouldn’t be happy with them all together without a RT or C in the mix. I can’t see doubling up on CB in the first three rounds.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I don’t have an issue with any of the players, but I wouldn’t be happy with them all together without a RT or C in the mix. I can’t see doubling up on CB in the first three rounds.
Unless you trade Jaylon, this puts you in a position where one of those guys is CB4 for sure. just doesn't make sense.

I thought Jones and Blackwell showed enough last year to not warrant two CBs chosen that high as well.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Unless you trade Jaylon, this puts you in a position where one of those guys is CB4 for sure. just doesn't make sense.

I thought Jones and Blackwell showed enough last year to not warrant two CBs chosen that high as well.
I don't think it will happen but it wouldn't shock me if they did trade JJ if they could get the right return for him, just because he doesn't quite fit what Flus actually wants in his CB's and he's ready for a new deal along with guys like Mooney, Claypool and Kmet. I think he can still be a really good player in this system but it just wouldn't shock me if he did trade him.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
All this, and sometimes it all worked and then the WR would drop the fucking ball!!!!

Seriously, how many shit ass fucking bad drops did we see Fields complete and just sit staring, like us at the screen, like what in the living fuck, how did you drop that?
Was it not some solace that many of those terrible, game-defining WR mistakes were made by players who were destined to leave the team in short order? Pettis and Smith-Marsette can't cost us chances at a win, ESB is relegated to the bench and I wouldn't be shocked if he fails to make the final roster, and I think everyone would prefer that Poles cut bait with VJJ and give his roster spot to someone who has a better chance of success.

Small improvements across the board lead to large steps forward. Fields has a clear path to address his shortcomings, there is a committee of weapons that can handle an NFL defense, and while depth at OL is a concern, a few of the positions have competitive players. I really do think that this offense is one tackle and a center away from being genuinely good, with the only caveat being health.