**OFFICAIL** Bears 2024 Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

Montucky

Liked Posts:
4 of the 9 are players at premium positions, and 3 of the 5 that aren't were picked outside of the top 20.

Also, premium position players such as Jeff Okudah, Henry Ruggs, Jalen Reagor, Damon Arnette, Isaiah Wilson, Noah Igbinoghene, Jeff Gladney and probably Jordan Love are all busts from the 1st round of that same draft.

The only lesson here is don't pick bad players or players who do bad things off the field.
Nah that's not the only lesson.

Busts and off-field malfeasance are just facts of life, forces of NFL nature that you can mitigate but never fully control. Great general managers have made bad picks. Things go wrong in ways nobody could realistically predict.

The point I'm making here is that guys like Kenneth Murray and Patrick Queen aren't bad players but still weren't great picks. They were not disappointments insofar as their play on the field. If they played cornerback or pass rusher as well as they played inside linebacker they wouldn't be lumped in with Javon Kinlaw or CJ Henderson.

Would I rather have them than Henry Ruggs? Uh, yeah. Duh. But you might actually be better off just taking a more valuable position with those picks unless you really think you have a Hall of Fame type talent available.

napo55

Liked Posts:
1. Flus is all in on RBBC. I expect all 3 guys to have a similar amount of carries/touches. Johnson is the favorite to be the 3rd down back

2. JJ and Stevenson will start outside. Gordon is the nickel. Wouldn’t rule out Gordon playing outside in base and then moving to NB in nickel.

3. This will be interesting. Think Sanborn starts in base. There’s a lot of possibilities for Sewell though. Will be interesting to see how Flus uses him.

4. Another interesting one. Similar to RB, I think VJJ/Scott/ESB to share a similar amount of targets. While I expect an uptick in overall pass attempts, I do not expect the Bears to all of a sudden be up at the top in the NFL. They will still run a ton. With Moore, Mooney, Claypool, and Kmet, there won’t be a lot of opportunities for the 4th wideout.
I think Jones, Pettis, and ESB are second tier receivers. As a rookie, Scott will take some time to acclimate, but is clearly superior to all three and it's just a matter of time before he takes their PT.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Nah that's not the only lesson.

Busts and off-field malfeasance are just facts of life, forces of NFL nature that you can mitigate but never fully control. Great general managers have made bad picks. Things go wrong in ways nobody could realistically predict.

The point I'm making here is that guys like Kenneth Murray and Patrick Queen aren't bad players but still weren't great picks. They were not disappointments insofar as their play on the field. If they played cornerback or pass rusher as well as they played inside linebacker they wouldn't be lumped in with Javon Kinlaw or CJ Henderson.

Would I rather have them than Henry Ruggs? Uh, yeah. Duh. But you might actually be better off just taking a more valuable position with those picks unless you really think you have a Hall of Fame type talent available.
What if there aren't 32 QBs, tackles, pass rushers or CBs worthy of 1st round picks?

But you may be on to something. Only non-premium positions picked in the 1st this year were the 2 RBs, the Lions LB and Kincaid to the Bills. Every other 1st round pick this year was QB, WR, DT, DE, or CB.

No safeties, no guards (assuming Titans play Skoronski at OT).

Montucky

Liked Posts:
What if there aren't 32 QBs, tackles, pass rushers or CBs worthy of 1st round picks?

But you may be on to something. Only non-premium positions picked in the 1st this year were the 2 RBs, the Lions LB and Kincaid to the Bills. Every other 1st round pick this year was QB, WR, DT, DE, or CB.

I think tight end could even be premium position just due the scarcity of them and the impact the truly high end ones have. Though I do understand the argument that its not important because so few players are really capable of maximizing the position's potential. It's kind of a complex football issue, fun one to think about.

But I honestly don't know how to answer the question you led off your post with. My first instinct would be to trade down, but that might be easier said than done if there aren't any of those players available with first round grades. Probably depends where the overall roster is at. It wasn't too long ago safeties were more prized than they are now, I wouldn't be surprised to see that trend come back around. We just haven't seen those types of really impactful safeties come into the league in a while.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Good year for Miami to lose their 1st. LOL

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Fant is solid. IDK if I see Ngakoue happening though. It does seem like the team isn't big fans of Borom. I honestly feel better about him as swing tackle than I do about the backup G/C options. We saw Patrick play poorly at G last year. Could put him at C and Whitehair at G, but he wasn't great there either last year. Ja'Tyre Carter has like 25 snaps of experience. And Leatherwood may just be a terrible player. Borom also played a few snaps at LG last year, so he could backup there as well, but I'd almost rather they go after another Schofield than another Reiff.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
It's wild, because 2020 was a pretty good draft. You got Burrow, a generational type QB. Herbert, Tua, like 4 strong franchise caliber OTs, best WR in the league in Jefferson, Aiyuk is in there as well. Some solid 2nd round picks as well (Higgins, Jonathan Taylor, Hurts, Trevon Diggs). Bears got Mooney late. Jaylon Johnson, Cole Kmet in that draft too.

But that 1st round is a mess. 14 of the 32 picks didn't get their options picked up. But that doesn't even include:

Jordan Love- signed to a cheaper contract than the 5th year option (basically a decline)
Jeff Okudah- traded and not available
Henry Ruggs- going to prison
Jeff Gladney- killed in a car wreck
Damon Arnette- out of the league, legal issues
Isaiah Wilson- out of the league, legal issues

That's 20 of the 32 first round picks that are considered failures.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
4 of the 9 are players at premium positions, and 3 of the 5 that aren't were picked outside of the top 20.

Also, premium position players such as Jeff Okudah, Henry Ruggs, Jalen Reagor, Damon Arnette, Isaiah Wilson, Noah Igbinoghene, Jeff Gladney and probably Jordan Love are all busts from the 1st round of that same draft.

The only lesson here is don't pick bad players or players who do bad things off the field.
That's a sad result with all the time and money spent on evaluations.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:

With that weak of a class in 1st round all you can hope is to trade back if possible. I remember a lot of those guys not getting their option picked up were considered good picks where they were taken at that time.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I forgot about that, nice and he may get cut at minimum he gets traded before camp.
Neither of these is a likely outcome. His next year is guaranteed so he isn't getting cut. He's value is pretty much rock bottom. Trading him isn't likely until the trade deadline in the hope that he can reestablish some value

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Neither of these is a likely outcome. His next year is guaranteed so he isn't getting cut. He's value is pretty much rock bottom. Trading him isn't likely until the trade deadline in the hope that he can reestablish some value
Yeah, cutting isn't even an option. I doubt a trade would be as I think Washington wants to compete this year. I think they give it 1 last shot, hope everyone can stay healthy and that Howell is the real deal. Then if they have to tag Young, they will. If he's not healthy, they let him walk and hope someone pays him on potential and they get a comp pick.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah, cutting isn't even an option. I doubt a trade would be as I think Washington wants to compete this year. I think they give it 1 last shot, hope everyone can stay healthy and that Howell is the real deal. Then if they have to tag Young, they will. If he's not healthy, they let him walk and hope someone pays him on potential and they get a comp pick.

The problem with this is they can't tag Young and Sweat and if they sign Sweat to a big deal then tagging Young becomes more difficult. So this likely signals they will have to chose between one of them at some point.

Payne and Allen are both 21.5 million in 2024 and the franchise tag is another 24m. So that is already 67 million for 3 guys and then if you sign another guy to an extension that just adds to it. I mean Commanders could chose to go that route but that is probably a terrible allocation of cap space to one position group.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
The problem with this is they can't tag Young and Sweat and if they sign Sweat to a big deal then tagging Young becomes more difficult. So this likely signals they will have to chose between one of them at some point.

Payne and Allen are both 21.5 million in 2024 and the franchise tag is another 24m. So that is already 67 million for 3 guys and then if you sign another guy to an extension that just adds to it. I mean Commanders could chose to go that route but that is probably a terrible allocation of cap space to one position group.
If Howell works out or they decide to target a qb in the draft, they'd probably have the flexibility to do that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Howell works out or they decide to target a qb in the draft, they'd probably have the flexibility to do that.

Yeah that is why I said they can go that route but they currently have 35 players under contract in 2024 and will need a starting LG, CB, MLB, WR, 2 starting DEs, SS. They will have 89m to spend but against that is a lot of money to tie up in the DL but hard to say what they do until the new ownership is in place.