**OFFICAIL** Bears Regular Season News & Schleisse - FTO Preferred - No ALTS! Derailing Is Discouraged!

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
What hypothetical 5th round receiver is going to have Velus's speed and return ability especially At his size? He already established himself as one of the best returnees in the game IMO. You are way underselling his ability there.
Based on what?? The fumbles??

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
i dont think theres anyway carter is going to get past seattle or detroit...both teams need his run stopping ability...i dont see the bears taking carter if available...

as for the vjj nonsense, he is not getting cut this year...he is the kick returner and will likely get another shot at PR duties, unless he comes to camp out of shape and forgot how to be a WR, he'll be on the team

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
i dont think theres anyway carter is going to get past seattle or detroit...both teams need his run stopping ability...i dont see the bears taking carter if available...

as for the vjj nonsense, he is not getting cut this year...he is the kick returner and will likely get another shot at PR duties, unless he comes to camp out of shape and forgot how to be a WR, he'll be on the team
How can one forget that which they never knew?!?

msadows

Liked Posts:

He was the worst punt returner I've seen in pro football.

And his KR ability wasn't something you can't replace. Right now he's the #5 WR on this depth chart prior to finalized FA/draft. It's not nonsense to think he could be cut if he doesn't do anything at all in camp.

After last year I don't think I want him catching any kick offs or punts, tbh. He has terrible hands

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
There will be 31 other teams likely to be interested in drafting MHJ next season. It is a pipe dream to pencil him in to the Bears draft next season because we have two 1st round picks
Thank you! I'm so sick of hearing about Harrison Jr. Sure he's great, but there's no guarantee the Bears get him. You obviously hope the Bears win a bunch of games and are at least picking outside of the top 10. And while you hope Carolina is really bad, if they are 1-2, the Bears are likely going to trade down again and miss out on Harrison Jr. If they are 3-5, there are a couple of players at more valuable positions (Fashanu, Alt at OT; Verse at DE) who will be on the board and much more enticing based on what the Bears have on their roster right now. Then there's the possibility the Bears and Carolina both are outside the top 10 and they miss out on everyone. And I'm not trading firsts to move up for a WR. IDC how good he is, there are other WRs and there are plenty that produce every year in the draft. MHJ is NOT Jamarr Chase good, IMO.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
He was the worst punt returner I've seen in pro football.

And his KR ability wasn't something you can't replace. Right now he's the #5 WR on this depth chart prior to finalized FA/draft. It's not nonsense to think he could be cut if he doesn't do anything at all in camp.

After last year I don't think I want him catching any kick offs or punts, tbh. He has terrible hands
Actually he wasn't. He has a bit of fumbling issue, but also had some damn good returns.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
So, this is a good breakdown and the fit is 100% of the reason why Montgomery is not a Bear anymore. But I don't think it's as simple as "he's not fast enough". I mean you're talking about split seconds of time between speed of most of these guys.

The key is vision and footwork. The ability to stop and start in a different direction without losing speed. And most importantly, the vision to see that cutback lane opening before it happens, because if you see it after it happens, the defense does too and will adjust. But in general, Monty lacked the vision to see that hole happening early enough. He would run behind his blocks and find room, which is perfectly fine, especially when you add in his ability to break tackles. But he didn't attack that backside gap quick enough, and IMO it's moreso because he didn't see it quick enough, rather than not having the footspeed to get there.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He doesn't have to be the 3rd option to have a role. The Bears had WRs go down like crazy last year. But even if they are healthy and VJJ doesn't get past 4th or 5th on the depth chart, it's worth seeing what he can do now that they have a legit #1. You can still run his gadget plays, you can still try to get him in the open field. Work hard on his punt receiving skills and you have a core special teamer as well.

I understand Velus and Claypool didn't live up to expectations, but I don't know why everyone is in a hurry to cast both aside, especially when the asset that would be used to replace them on the depth chart, would be just as high (or higher) than the assets used to get both of them.

thisthisthis

it's bizarre how quick people are to jettison these two

especially with Claypool who has elite traits and has previous success at the nfl level

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So, this is a good breakdown and the fit is 100% of the reason why Montgomery is not a Bear anymore. But I don't think it's as simple as "he's not fast enough". I mean you're talking about split seconds of time between speed of most of these guys.

The key is vision and footwork. The ability to stop and start in a different direction without losing speed. And most importantly, the vision to see that cutback lane opening before it happens, because if you see it after it happens, the defense does too and will adjust. But in general, Monty lacked the vision to see that hole happening early enough. He would run behind his blocks and find room, which is perfectly fine, especially when you add in his ability to break tackles. But he didn't attack that backside gap quick enough, and IMO it's moreso because he didn't see it quick enough, rather than not having the footspeed to get there.

if its one thing that panthers fans liked about Foreman, it was his vision