OFFICAIL Hard Knocks IGT

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Velus played gunner last year.

And yes preseason data is the only data we have. You are just making stuff up. If this holds in the regular season you will just move the goalposts.

You want to do a ban bet that kick returns will be up this year?

You are using no data. Like I said let's make this simple. Will ban bet you kick returns will be up this year.
So the best special coach in the NFL over the last 20 years has decided to kick the ball into the end zone every time rather than have the Ravens return the ball. Hmmm must just be some sort of strange coincidence and has nothing to do with what I was arguing.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So the best special coach in the NFL over the last 20 years has decided to kick the ball into the end zone every time rather than have the Ravens return the ball. Hmmm must just be some sort of strange coincidence and has nothing to do with what I was arguing.

Actually the best ST coach in the NFL is the head coach of the Ravens. Toub is the best ST coach that cant get a HC job.

Harbaugh decided to kick to the Chiefs and was proven right when Chiefs got backed up due to a holding penalty on a return.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Actually the best ST coach in the NFL is the head coach of the Ravens. Toub is the best ST coach that cant get a HC job.

Harbaugh decided to kick to the Chiefs and was proven right when Chiefs got backed up due to a holding penalty on a return.
It's like you didn't watch the game or remember what you said......that this rule would increase retuens

The chiefs kicked off 6 times...all touchbacks

The Ravens kicked off 5 times with 3 touchbacks a return to the 33 and a return to the 31 but brought back to the 19 after a penalty

To recap.....

11 kicks
9 touchbacks
2 returns (with both going beyond the 30...but a penalty nullified one)

If they really want returns; they'd make kickers kick from the 30 and/or spot a touchback at the 35

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's like you didn't watch the game or remember what you said......that this rule would increase retuens

The chiefs kicked off 6 times...all touchbacks

The Ravens kicked off 5 times with 3 touchbacks a return to the 33 and a return to the 31 but brought back to the 19 after a penalty

To recap.....

11 kicks
9 touchbacks
2 returns (with both going beyond the 30...but a penalty nullified one)

If they really want returns; they'd make kickers kick from the 30 and/or spot a touchback at the 35

The Ravens kicked to the end zone at the end of the first half because there was 1 second left so would be stupid to risk a return TD. They then came out for the 2nd half and kicked it short again.

The other 2 kicks were to the end zone in the 4th when they were trailing and thus not wanting to waste time on the clock especially since they had burned 2 timeouts on Defense prior to and only had one left.

So Harbaugh was clearly deciding when to kick long or short based on game situation. Reid clearly was just kicking it to the endzone 100%.

And yes penalties count. As do fumbles hence why making a team return it may be advantageous. In the end the average on kicks to the end zone was 30. The average on kicks short was 26 due to the penalty.

Last edited:

greg23

Liked Posts:
The Ravens kicked to the end zone at the end of the first half because there was 1 second so would be stupid to risk a return TD. They then came out for the 2nd half and kicked it short again.

The other 2 kicks were to the end zone in the 4th when they were trailing and thus not wanting to waste time on the clock especially since they had burned 2 timeouts on Defense and only had one left.

So Harbaugh was clearly decided when to kick long or short based on game situation. Reid clearly was just kicking it to the end 100%.
Saving time...hahah

They scoed on the 1st play of q4 and again with 5 mins left.

Your reaching.......as I said weeks ago....it's not gonna take long before teams realize the starting field position is just about the 30 anyways (like in preseason) so why not just kick it out of the endzone all the time.....and game 1 went 9 for 11.

The time to force a return is last 30 seconds when you want the.ckock to run (like bills at chiefs playoff game a few years ago)

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Toub kicking it out of the endzone is just going to make the competition committee adjust the starting point with a touchback kicked out of the endzone

Keep doing it

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Saving time...hahah

They scoed on the 1st play of q4 and again with 5 mins left.

Your reaching.......as I said weeks ago....it's not gonna take long before teams realize the starting field position is just about the 30 anyways (like in preseason) so why not just kick it out of the endzone all the time.....and game 1 went 9 for 11.

The time to force a return is last 30 seconds when you want the.ckock to run (like bills at chiefs playoff game a few years ago)
In a game they trailed with 1 timeout. We will see how this all plays out beyond 1 game.

greg23

Liked Posts:
In a game they trailed with 1 timeout. We will see how this all plays out beyond 1 game.
So they wanted to save 5 seconds on a kickoff return with 15 mins left in the game..... but didn't go no huddle until 5 mins left in the game?

Got it.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Yeah, they’re going to end up changing it next year and put the ball at the 35 for a touchback. Goodell already confirmed there won’t be any in season changes. While we only have 1 game of data, many people saw this coming and so far it’s playing out how many people thought/feared. We’ll see if it changes, but I personally doubt it…we’re going to see teams kick it into the end zone more often than not.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So they wanted to save 5 seconds on a kickoff return with 15 mins left in the game..... but didn't go no huddle until 5 mins left in the game?

Got it.

They kicked short after 1st TD and then to start the 3rd quarter. So why do you think they didnt kick long like the Chiefs on all kicks?

Again Harbaugh kicked based on game situation. That is pretty obvious.

greg23

Liked Posts:
They kicked short after 1st TD and then to start the 3rd quarter. So why do you think they didnt kick long like the Chiefs on all kicks?

Their 1st kick was short.......prob didn't known what to do yet....after that he went 3 of 4 thru the endzone

The point is; this new format isn't going to drastically increase (prob.not even nominally increase) the amount of kick returns vs the previous rule.

If they want more returns they need to move the kickoff back to the 30 and/or make the starting point the 35 after a toichback.......esp since analytically the 35 is where there is a huge jump in expected points per drive (over the 30 and 25)

I personally would have no interest in drives starting at the 35; but do believe they'll eventually make the change next year because.....derp......more scoring = a more interesting game.....derp

greg23

Liked Posts:

How those kick offs working out tonight?

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The guy that brought you that epic music drop at the end of the last episode is Joe Kerry from Stranger Things

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f42566a62377346505344494458673d3d2d313331373732343032312e313734356234393039646438396464303733383037383133303434302e676966

@Anytime23 @msadows @remydat since you guys mentioned the track.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Their 1st kick was short.......prob didn't known what to do yet....after that he went 3 of 4 thru the endzone

The point is; this new format isn't going to drastically increase (prob.not even nominally increase) the amount of kick returns vs the previous rule.

If they want more returns they need to move the kickoff back to the 30 and/or make the starting point the 35 after a toichback.......esp since analytically the 35 is where there is a huge jump in expected points per drive (over the 30 and 25)

I personally would have no interest in drives starting at the 35; but do believe they'll eventually make the change next year because.....derp......more scoring = a more interesting game.....dederp

They didn't know what to do but then kicked it short again after halftime. Again Harbaugh clearly kicked depending on situation.

How those kick offs working out tonight?
What happened tonight does not change what Harbaugh did. It is clear the Chiefs, Eagles and Packers had a different strategy than Harbaugh.

greg23

Liked Posts:
They didn't know what to do but then kicked it short again after halftime. Again Harbaugh clearly kicked depending on situation.

What happened tonight does not change what Harbaugh did. It is clear the Chiefs, Eagles and Packers had a different strategy than Harbaugh.
Jeez......you keep changing course

Your theory is kickoff returns will jump drastically this year

A few of us have said they'll be about the same since they'll all realize quickly a touchback is the better option

Think thru 2 games and 26ish kicks there have been 4 or 5 retuens (one being a joke by gb from 7 yards deep with 20 seconds left in the game)

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jeez......you keep changing course

Your theory is kickoff returns will jump drastically this year

A few of us have said they'll be about the same since they'll all realize quickly a touchback is the better option

Think thru 2 games and 26ish kicks there have been 4 or 5 retuens (one being a joke by gb from 7 yards deep with 20 seconds left in the game)

I am not changing course, you are. @DanielCCSBears made a specific comment about the best ST coach chosing to kick deep. I responded that the best ST coach is the HC for the Ravens and he kicked short and was rewarded when Chiefs got called for holding. That was the convo you jumped into which again was about Harbaugh.

Now there is also a wider conversation regarding whether there will be more kick returns or not but prematurely ejaculating after 2 games are played is pretty dumb. The trend is definitely in your favor but the truth will be decided over the course of the season not 2 games.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I am not changing course, you are. @DanielCCSBears made a specific comment about the best ST coach chosing to kick deep. I responded that the best ST coach is the HC for the Ravens and he kicked short and was rewarded when Chiefs got called for holding. That was the convo you jumped into which again was about Harbaugh.

Now there is also a wider conversation regarding whether there will be more kick returns or not but prematurely ejaculating after 2 games are played is pretty dumb. The trend is definitely in your favor but the truth will be decided over the course of the season not 2 games.
The entire conversation started when you premature ejaculated that kick returns would be drastically increased with the new rules......

I said it wouldn't due to avg starting field position in pre season.....you yammered on and used one if Harbaugh kick to defend your point.....it won't change much this year

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Did you even stop to think about why I made the statement I did? It's not inside information but is also wasn't an uniformed opinion either. This was the most likely outcome from jump.

In the preseason it's different because you are evaluating guys their willingness to block and tackle. The games don't count so you don't care about the result but you do care about the opportunity to see what your players can do.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The entire conversation started when you premature ejaculated that kick returns would be drastically increased with the new rules......

I said it wouldn't due to avg starting field position in pre season.....you yammered on and used one if Harbaugh kick to defend your point.....it won't change much this year

Umm using 3 weeks of data isn't as premature as 2 games with bad field conditions.

I didn't use Harbaugh to defend my point. I used Harbaugh to say different people may employ different strategies. So far the Chiefs, Packers and Eagles clearly took the approach to kick it long. Harbaugh clearly altered his approach. That does not mean anything in the grand scheme of things because there isn't enough data yet.