**OFFICAIL** Regular Season News & Scheisse - FTO : THREAD DERAILING PROHIBITED***

Status
Not open for further replies.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears’ protection for Fields is suspect, but every play is different. He’s not doing what he should be doing when the pocket is holding up. The Commanders game was full of examples.

“That was actually one thing that me, Luke and Andrew talked about,” Fields said. “I felt like later in the game, like my internal clock was speeding up a little bit, just because of maybe the past pockets that I would get in the game. So I just told them if they feel like I’m getting antsy and maybe leaving the pocket too early when it’s there, just remind me to reset — like reset after every play.

“Because there are going be times when I do have time and I can sit in there, but that’s definitely a big thing, just making sure that just because they got back here fast the last play or two, three plays ago, doesn’t mean they are going to get back fast. So just playing every play. Every play is going to be different.”
Great

Bears smashing up another young QB

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
When you have been bitten by a dog while petting it several times, you are going to be quick to pull your hand back when it growls. Unlearning that behavior is far more difficult than instilling it.

For sure but at least he recognizes it. Knowing is half the battle as GI Joe would say.

Great

Bears smashing up another young QB

Think it is moreso Fields has to do a better job of taking what the D gives him on a given play. Every QB has to learn this one way or the other. He is tied for the most pocket time of any QB in the NFL before a throw or pressure.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
For sure but at least he recognizes it. Knowing is half the battle as GI Joe would say.

Think it is moreso Fields has to do a better job of taking what the D gives him on a given play. Every QB has to learn this one way or the other. He is tied for the most pocket time of any QB in the NFL before a throw or pressure.

Where did you see that stat?

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
At least the league doesn’t even bother putting the Lions on in prime time games. The league would be wise to do the same with the Bears regardless of viewers
0-9 likely is the past few years since we get like 6 a year.

Lions got hard knocks though ?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
That time to throw stat is such bs. Hoge and Jahns were discussing that stat and they said that the flaw in it is the 2.5 sec metric. It does not account for protection failing under 2.5 seconds.

This team cannot have win rate on pass blocking and be #2 in the league lol AND give up as many pressures as they do. The two can’t be true

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Where did you see that stat?
The Athletic.

Pro Football Reference’s data backs what ESPN is suggesting about Fields’ sack rate. Fields is tied with three other quarterbacks with a pocket time of 2.6 seconds, which is currently the best mark in the league.

Pocket time, which is provided to PFR from SportRadar, is defined as the “average time the QB had in the pocket between the snap and throwing the ball or pressure collapses the pocket, in seconds.”

That time to throw stat is such bs. Hoge and Jahns were discussing that stat and they said that the flaw in it is the 2.5 sec metric. It does not account for protection failing under 2.5 seconds.

This team cannot have win rate on pass blocking and be #2 in the league lol AND give up as many pressures as they do. The two can’t be true

You are confusing two separate metrics. See above. The metric I am referring to shows that on average Fields gets 2.6 seconds in the pocket before he throws or is pressured which is tied for the highest in the NFL.

As to your point about PBWR, both can in fact be true. Brady throws the ball on average 2.26 seconds. So even if his OL had a shit PBWR, it would not turn into sacks as often because Brady is getting rid of the ball on average before the pressure comes. He throws before 2.5 seconds 63.3% of the time so only 33.7% of his throws would potentially be affected.

By contrast Fields is at 3.42 seconds which is the highest so even if the OL is 2nd in PBWR, he is holding the ball almost a full second more than the 2.5 seconds which leaves more time for a pressure or sack to occur. Fields throws before 2.5 seconds only 33.3% of the time so pretty much half as much as Brady.

So even if they had identical PBWRs, Fields would naturally end up with more sacks and pressures as he is holding the ball 1.2 seconds longer than Brady.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Matt Ryan was benched for Sam Ehlinger. Ballard just simply needs to go if Sam doesn’t produce wins

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Athletic.

Pro Football Reference’s data backs what ESPN is suggesting about Fields’ sack rate. Fields is tied with three other quarterbacks with a pocket time of 2.6 seconds, which is currently the best mark in the league.

Pocket time, which is provided to PFR from SportRadar, is defined as the “average time the QB had in the pocket between the snap and throwing the ball or pressure collapses the pocket, in seconds.”

You are confusing two separate metrics. See above. The metric I am referring to shows that on average Fields gets 2.6 seconds in the pocket before he throws or is pressured which is tied for the highest in the NFL.

As to your point about PBWR, both can in fact be true. Brady throws the ball on average 2.26 seconds. So even if his OL had a shit PBWR, it would not turn into sacks as often because Brady is getting rid of the ball on average before the pressure comes. He throws before 2.5 seconds 63.3% of the time so only 33.7% of his throws would potentially be affected.

By contrast Fields is at 3.42 seconds which is the highest so even if the OL is 2nd in PBWR, he is holding the ball almost a full second more than the 2.5 seconds which leaves more time for a pressure or sack to occur. Fields throws before 2.5 seconds only 33.3% of the time so pretty much half as much as Brady.

So even if they had identical PBWRs, Fields would naturally end up with more sacks and pressures as he is holding the ball 1.2 seconds longer than Brady.
I’m not debating he isn’t holding on to the ball too long at times, I think that metric isn’t an accurate indicator of efficient pass protection. Also that one specifically is subjective.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I’m not debating he isn’t holding on to the ball too long at times, I think that metric isn’t an accurate indicator of efficient pass protection. Also that one specifically is subjective.

In and of itself, no. When combined with the fact other metrics ans film review then hard to ignore.

1. The film review by Warner shows a guy that doesnt throw when guys are NFL open and shows him taking sacks whwre he could have thrown the ball.

2. His time in pocket before a throw or pressure leads the NFL at 2.6 seconds.

3. His TTT leads the NFL at 3.42 seconds.

4. The OL pass block win rate is 2md at 5 seconds.

5. Other analysis that seeks to assign blame between OL and QB has Fields almost double the rate of sacks where he is responsible than than the mext QB.

I dont know that the above can all just be explained away. Nor does it mean the WRs do not suck overall at separation or the OL doesnt give up pressure too quick at times. These are averages that dont measure volatility. If I give up pressure after 2.7 seconds on 1 play and 2.5 seconds on another then my average is 2.6. If I give it up 3.4 seconds on 1 play and 1.8 seconds on another then my average is also 2.6. The former is probably better than the latter though when it comes to consistency.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
In and of itself, no. When combined with the fact other metrics ans film review then hard to ignore.

1. The film review by Warner shows a guy that doesnt throw when guys are NFL open and shows him taking sacks whwre he could have thrown the ball.

2. His time in pocket before a throw or pressure leads the NFL at 2.6 seconds.

3. His TTT leads the NFL at 3.42 seconds.

4. The OL pass block win rate is 2md at 5 seconds.

5. Other analysis that seeks to assign blame between OL and QB has Fields almost double the rate of sacks where he is responsible than than the mext QB.

I dont know that the above can all just be explained away. Nor does it mean the WRs do not suck overall at separation or the OL doesnt give up pressure too quick at times. These are averages that dont measure volatility. If I give up pressure after 2.7 seconds on 1 play and 2.5 seconds on another then my average is 2.6. If I give it up 3.4 seconds on 1 play and 1.8 seconds on another then my average is also 2.6. The former is probably better than the latter though when it comes to consistency.
Right ,I am not disagreeing with any of those points 1-5. The statistic in and of itself for any quarterback is subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.