**OFFICAIL** Regular Season News & Scheisse - FTO : THREAD DERAILING PROHIBITED***

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Sounds like there are two scenarios on the table.

Scenario 1- #1 seed chooses if they want a bye or homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. The #2 seed gets whatever option is not chosen.

Scenario 2 - If both the #1 and #2 seeds advance to the AFC Championship, then the game will be played at a neutral site.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Hargrave played 5 seasons before this one, where he averaged just over 4 sacks per year and about 3 TFL. As you mention (and I mentioned earlier) he's always had great players around him. I see his game as one that is more likely to regress over the next three years (compared to Buckner). That is obviously an opinion.

I don't think he's really in the same ballpark as Buckner in terms of his potential impact on the Bears' defense. I think Buckner's probably a top 5 IDL player in the league, and he is elite against run and pass. I think the Bears desperately need an elite IDL, and they have plenty of $ to spend. The only FA in Buckner's ballpark is Payne. If Payne actually gets to FA, I'd be more than happy with him and the extra pick. But I would also take both of them and give the Bears the best IDL in the league. I think that spending on DL is the best place to spend, other than QB.

I understand the argument, but I would take the elite talent now even if it means giving up a draft pick in 2024. The Bears would still have the #5 pick plus other extra premium picks in 2023 and 2024 in this scenario. In reality, it's probably unlikely that IND would even part with Buckner.
Can't argue with the logic here. I don't think they'd spend 40Mil/year on DT though. Payne is probably getting more than Buckner if he hits the market (I'm thinking 22M AAV). I believe Buckner is the #2 highest paid DT to Donald. Payne being 25 means he's likely breaking the bank. But the Bears have no excuse to not be in on the bidding, no matter how high it gets. He's the best player readily available, at a very young age, and at the biggest need on the defense.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
This is pretty clearly a year to focus mostly on OL and DL, in both FA and the draft.

There might be a WR with value somewhere in the second round. But I think probably the top 3-4 FA signings will be linemen.

I don't think I'm saying much new here - I think most people have been thinking that for a while.
I think there is a bunch of potential in this class, but a lot of questionable prospects.

Johnston- I'd be all over if not for Claypool. Sure they could add him early in the draft, but then you push Mooney to the slot full-time, which I don't know that the Bears want to do. If so, they wouldn't have had Pettis getting so many reps this year.

Addison is tiny. Boutte has questionable off-field stuff, which I think the Bears will stay away from. Downs and Flowers are tiny as well. Hyatt can fly, but can he run routes?

I do like Rashee Rice, Tillman, and if he declares, I really love Rome Odunze out of Washington. But they all have questions. They all may be outside guys as well (especially Tillman).

But the more I think about it, the more a guy like Smith-Njigba may be the safest WR pick in the draft. He's not a "WOW" guy, but he's solid, steady route runner, and I'm not overly concerned about his injury. He seems most likely of these guys to produce as a rookie, without being a scheme specific gadget guy.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I think there is a bunch of potential in this class, but a lot of questionable prospects.

Johnston- I'd be all over if not for Claypool. Sure they could add him early in the draft, but then you push Mooney to the slot full-time, which I don't know that the Bears want to do. If so, they wouldn't have had Pettis getting so many reps this year.

Addison is tiny. Boutte has questionable off-field stuff, which I think the Bears will stay away from. Downs and Flowers are tiny as well. Hyatt can fly, but can he run routes?

I do like Rashee Rice, Tillman, and if he declares, I really love Rome Odunze out of Washington. But they all have questions. They all may be outside guys as well (especially Tillman).

But the more I think about it, the more a guy like Smith-Njigba may be the safest WR pick in the draft. He's not a "WOW" guy, but he's solid, steady route runner, and I'm not overly concerned about his injury. He seems most likely of these guys to produce as a rookie, without being a scheme specific gadget guy.
There are alot of guys with second round ability imo. I think maybe one of the smaller slot types in R2. Fields likes to throw to guys who are open. I think a guy that can win off the line and create fast separation fits here, given the talent available. I think Flowers or Downs fits that bill best.

I would be interest in Addison and JSN too, but I think they will selected late first where it's unlikely the Bears will have a pick.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

The only reason why I think it is more likely that the Bears target a starting RB than a starting WR is that Getsy went for a fullback. This team runs 21 personnel frequently and succeeds with it. Even if Fields becomes the next Aaron Rodgers, his offense will still identify as one that runs to open up the pass, chew up clock, and limit the defenses chances to get at the quarterback.

Getting the best RB possible just seems like a stronger choice in this regard, but I cant possibly dismiss the idea of getting a WR in the first round. Who cares if they are a slot or or wide receiver; if they get yards and touchdowns, the receiver will see the field and help win games. Let Claypool be a move receiver to switch between the slot and outside to get good matchups, anything that keeps players like Pettis from ending drives early.

Status
Not open for further replies.