Official 2023 Training Camp thread

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So because the Niners made a huge mistake in trading away all those picks for Lance and have been a fixture in the playoffs and made the NFCCG somehow makes it ok for Poles to trade away a 2nd round pick and finish the season dead last??

Listen I understand the point you are making, if Fields can make the leap and Claypool can get him there...than it doesn't matter that a 2nd round pick was sacrificed. But he hasn't made that leap yet and if he does I think it will be more because of Moore than because of Claypool. I am sure next offseason when Claypool is signing that 1 year deal with the Texans, we will look back and praise Poles for giving up a second round pick for Claypool.

No I am saying in the end all that matters is Fields developing and Bears becoming a contender. So I will evaluate the Claypool trade based on how he impacts those things not his individual numbers and certainly not on a 22 season that we were not trying to compete.

I admit I am jumping the gun on Claypool, I just don't see it. I see him as average at best and will have a career that sees him on probably 2 to 3 more teams bouncing around having a couple good games each season that gets people excited in thinking he will finally reach his potential.

But I get a lot wrong on a lot of things, so maybe Claypool needed the change of scenery with more time to learn the offense. I'm sure after Claypool has that one game where he catches a bomb from Fields for a TD this will get bumped for @remydat @Spitta Andretti and you to dunk on me. So lets see how 2023 plays out

I don't bump threads and I dont dislike people who disagree with me because the internet is not that serious. Now if someone tries to misrepresent an argument then I may go find what was actually said anf post it.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm too lazy to go back and check but it would be real interesting to see back in 2020 when Pace drafted Kmet which people were involved in the bitchathon over that pick. A lot of people here were claiming the Bears really needed to draft a WR instead of a TE.

The WR that caught most peoples fancy was none other than Chase Claypool.

I did not like the Kmet pick nor did I like extending him this offseason. I also will not cunt about it before he has a chance to go out and prove me right or wrong this season. Discussed it when it first was reported but otherwise a dead issue until we see how the season plays out.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
If Poles trades a 1st + for Jones I'm going to completely lose my shit. Like literally kicking ALL 6 of the kittens that my kids are currently fostering.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Yeah I felt like he got more separation the year before. Not sure if it was the offense or something else.
Going against a CB2, he had the most separation in the NFL, if I recall. Once he went against CB1s, his numbers dropped.

With Moore and Claypool, he will be going against CB2s and CB3s. His separation will increase, making easier reads for Fields, and his numbers will increase.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I did not like the Kmet pick nor did I like extending him this offseason. I also will not cunt about it before he has a chance to go out and prove me right or wrong this season. Discussed it when it first was reported but otherwise a dead issue until we see how the season plays out.
The statement has little to do with Kmet and zero to do with whether you like him or not.....it has everything to do with the new Bear's public enemy #1, Claypool. Just a few years ago a lot of people were in love with him and wanted the Bears to draft him....now that's he's here, not so much.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The statement has little to do with Kmet and zero to do with whether you like him or not.....it has everything to do with the new Bear's public enemy #1, Claypool. Just a few years ago a lot of people were in love with him and wanted the Bears to draft him....now that's he's here, not so much.
Fair point. I just want to see him do something out there when healthy

Rise

Liked Posts:
I think you assume there is only one end game here. The big win is Claypool plays well enough to earn a long term deal. That is obvious.

However at the time Poles only had one NFL starting caliber WR on the roster ie Mooney. The trade was also about giving Fields NFL caliber starting WRs so he can learn to throw on time and with anticipation which he was struggling to do because he didnt trust a WR group that was made up of mostly 5th and 6th WRs outside of Mooney.

Poles faced the prospect of Fields going into this year with Mooney, a mid tier FA and a rookie learning the NFL as Fields top weapons. Now he has Moore, Money and Claypool. If that helps Fields become a better NFL QB, it was worth it even if Claypool moves on as nothing is more important than Fields developing into a franchise QB.

This should be obvious as Poles passed on WRs in 2022 and elected to take Moore in lieu of another 1st round pick. He clearly prefers giving Fields vet WRs that are already acclimated to the NFL.

I already said the only advantage to the claypool trade was the few games last year. I see that as very short sighted and the wrong move based on the price and talent of Ridley.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Doesn't sound like you will consider any data that doesn't support your stance. So, I will just say he is far and away the best tight end taken the year of his draft, and he is already a top ten tight end...but you can just keep on carrrying on...

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
A 1st for Jones is certainly not an overpay and he'd have a huge impact on this defense. I'd be thrilled if they do get him, but I'm not sure it's quite the right time for a move like that. Bears have too many OL holes to go all in on one player and limit future flexibility.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I already said the only advantage to the claypool trade was the few games last year. I see that as very short sighted and the wrong move based on the price and talent of Ridley.

I think the advantage is his mental health, gambling habits and the fact he hasnt missed 2 years just about. How much of an advantage those things are remain to be seen.

Doesn't sound like you will consider any data that doesn't support your stance. So, I will just say he is far and away the best tight end taken the year of his draft, and he is already a top ten tight end...but you can just keep on carrrying on...

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I litetally just said I will see how he performs this yeah so the data I will consider is his actual performance. SMH!