Official 2023 Training Camp thread

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm too lazy to go back and check but it would be real interesting to see back in 2020 when Pace drafted Kmet which people were involved in the bitchathon over that pick. A lot of people here were claiming the Bears really needed to draft a WR instead of a TE.

The WR that caught most peoples fancy was none other than Chase Claypool.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
And you completely ignored what I said.

It cannot be considered a mistake if Poles did not expect results from Claypool in 2022 because of the offense.

Now if Claypool does not produce in 2023 when he knows the offense, then it can be considered a mistake AFTER the season.

As for the hater comment, Claypool has at least shown that he could be something special. He did it his rookie year and, while not a guarantee of anything, if you did something special once, you have a chance of repeating it.
I admit I am jumping the gun on Claypool, I just don't see it. I see him as average at best and will have a career that sees him on probably 2 to 3 more teams bouncing around having a couple good games each season that gets people excited in thinking he will finally reach his potential.

But I get a lot wrong on a lot of things, so maybe Claypool needed the change of scenery with more time to learn the offense. I'm sure after Claypool has that one game where he catches a bomb from Fields for a TD this will get bumped for @remydat @Spitta Andretti and you to dunk on me. So lets see how 2023 plays out

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I admit I am jumping the gun on Claypool, I just don't see it. I see him as average at best and will have a career that sees him on probably 2 to 3 more teams bouncing around having a couple good games each season that gets people excited in thinking he will finally reach his potential.

But I get a lot wrong on a lot of things, so maybe Claypool needed the change of scenery with more time to learn the offense. I'm sure after Claypool has that one game where he catches a bomb from Fields for a TD this will get bumped for @remydat @Spitta Andretti and you to dunk on me. So lets see how 2023 plays out
Have you ever heard of the saying, "those who live in glass houses should not throw stones"?

I am sure that I have several takes where I have been completely wrong.

JoJo, putting down his stone and walking away.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
The frustration is that it was beyond obvious to anyone with a brane that there wasnt enough help on offense going into the season. Poles did nothing in the off season which resulted in a desperation over pay.

He had an interview where he even stated the most important thing to develop a qb is getting him a WR. He didn’t even try.
You DO know that 2022 was a year for Poles to correct the sins of the past GM. He was actively trying to fix the cap hell that Pace left him and, thus, 2022 was never going to be a big spending year for the Bears.

Add to that the huge contract that Christian Kirk got from Jacksonville and any snowballs-chance-in-hell of signing a free agent WR went out the door.

Not have "a desperation pay" is a good thing.

Who knows what kind of GM Poles will turn out to be, but he seems to be responsible with his GM moves, trying to improve the team with some creative moves, like the Claypool trade. Some may work. Others won't.

He has, in one year, fixed the salary cap situation of the Bears. He has given Fields a true #1 WR with a chance at a solid 1-3 WR room. He has started to address the trenches on both sides.

I, for one, am willing to see how the team progresses in the following year and beyond.

After all, I was around since before the Bears of the 80s and know that building a good to championship level team takes time.

May they again hold up the Lombardi trophy soon and for several times before my time on this Earth is over.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Not sure how this works anymore.........does this mean Pettis is out for the year?
I believe that, if he goes on IR before the season, he is gone all year. If he goes on IR after, he can come back.

It might actually before the final 53 or after the final 53, not the season.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Think that varies by the person based on expected numbers. If he has similar numbers to Mooney, is that a success?
Mooney only had some 400 yds last year. Not sure how that’s success

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You DO know that 2022 was a year for Poles to correct the sins of the past GM. He was actively trying to fix the cap hell that Pace left him and, thus, 2022 was never going to be a big spending year for the Bears.

Add to that the huge contract that Christian Kirk got from Jacksonville and any snowballs-chance-in-hell of signing a free agent WR went out the door.

Not have "a desperation pay" is a good thing.

Who knows what kind of GM Poles will turn out to be, but he seems to be responsible with his GM moves, trying to improve the team with some creative moves, like the Claypool trade. Some may work. Others won't.

He has, in one year, fixed the salary cap situation of the Bears. He has given Fields a true #1 WR with a chance at a solid 1-3 WR room. He has started to address the trenches on both sides.

I, for one, am willing to see how the team progresses in the following year and beyond.

After all, I was around since before the Bears of the 80s and know that building a good to championship level team takes time.

May they again hold up the Lombardi trophy soon and for several times before my time on this Earth is over.
Problem is people wanted to see Poles spend ridiculous amounts of money on players who are average to slightly above average. It was a shit year in Free Agency. Some of the best players available decided to stay for less money on their current teams. I’d rather this team have a slightly below average record than some bullshit 9-8 or 10-7 team that will regress the following season

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Problem is people wanted to see Poles spend ridiculous amounts of money on players who are average to slightly above average. It was a shit year in Free Agency.

They don't see it this way though. It all boils down to he didn't draft who they wanted drafted

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Baby Kaplan

I do think Poles inquired but so did all the other teams as well, just doing their due diligence
. Dont think they trade him unless he starts sitting out regular season games

Exactly. A call was made. Which happens all day every day.