Official 2023 Training Camp thread

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I regret responding in the first place and weren’t you throwing a bitch fit about discussing this like a month ago ? Yet here you are

The discussion was about Ridley vs Claypool not the Claypool trade by itself. It is kind of pointless discussing Claypool without discussing what the alternatives were. So @dabears70 brought up Ridley which at least that is an alternative.

What some of you guys like to do is ramble on about Claypool without explaining what you would have done differently. People complain Claypool is essentially a first round pick even though the pick was not that high when the trade was made, but the flip side is Claypool struggling and being hurt meant we slumped to not only the top pick of the 2nd but also the top pick of the 1st..

So let's say we had signed Kirk and drafted Pickens last year. Them playing the whole season means Bears finish with a better record and so no 1st pick and no DJ Moore.

So instead of bitching let's hear your alternative as if the question is do you prefer we signed Kirk, drafted Pickens and kept the 2023 2nd or do you prefer Moore, Claypool, a 2024 first and a 2025 2nd then my vote is on the latter.

If you just want to moan about Claypool without explaining who you wanted instead then yeah that is just stupid.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
The Niners are a super bowl contender despite blowing 3 first round picks on a 3rd string QB.

If Claypool helps Fields develop and the Bears are a contender then it really doesnt matter to me whether it is considered a mistake or not. Appreciate others may feel differently but think people getting lost in the trees and not seeing the first. The trade was less about Claypool and more about making sure Fields has professional WRs. Fields now had 3 legit starting caliber WRs where he had just 1 last year before the trade.

So because the Niners made a huge mistake in trading away all those picks for Lance and have been a fixture in the playoffs and made the NFCCG somehow makes it ok for Poles to trade away a 2nd round pick and finish the season dead last??

Listen I understand the point you are making, if Fields can make the leap and Claypool can get him there...than it doesn't matter that a 2nd round pick was sacrificed. But he hasn't made that leap yet and if he does I think it will be more because of Moore than because of Claypool. I am sure next offseason when Claypool is signing that 1 year deal with the Texans, we will look back and praise Poles for giving up a second round pick for Claypool.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Not sure if you missed the part where I said I don't fault Poles.....but it still doesn't make it less of a mistake.

Angelo/Emery/Pace all had plenty of misses, do we look back and just say "oh well GM's miss"...no we look back and criticize and call them out for the mistakes. When GM's make a move, they do it with the intention to better the team. So whether we agree with the move or not, we can't fault a GM for taking their shots. But it doesn't take away when those moves turn into mistakes. If Claypool came in last year and went on a tear and became a #1 WR for the Bears where they didn't need Moore...we would be singing his praises for making such a great move. So why can't we say that at this moment, trading that 2nd is looking like a mistake?
Because people that know football and, more specifically, the Shannahan offense, know that it is a complicated offense and it was going to be near impossible for Claypool to learn it instantly.

What Poles intended was to bring in a WR for 2023 to help the offense. Seeing that the free agency WR class was not going to be strong, he risked a 2nd rounder to get, in his estimation, the best WR he could.

Now his evaluation of Claypool could have been wrong, and you can blame him for that if you wish, but at least wait for 2023 to play out before you start throwing stones at Poles for trading for Claypool.

This is the year that Poles expected to get a return for the Claypool trade, not last year.

If you believe that Claypool was going to suddenly know the Getsy offense after a few practices in 2022, it is you who made the mistake, not Poles.

Now if Claypool does nothing in 2023, then Poles will have made a mistake and is worthy of being blamed for the trade.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So because the Niners made a huge mistake in trading away all those picks for Lance and have been a fixture in the playoffs and made the NFCCG somehow makes it ok for Poles to trade away a 2nd round pick and finish the season dead last??

Listen I understand the point you are making, if Fields can make the leap and Claypool can get him there...than it doesn't matter that a 2nd round pick was sacrificed. But he hasn't made that leap yet and if he does I think it will be more because of Moore than because of Claypool. I am sure next offseason when Claypool is signing that 1 year deal with the Texans, we will look back and praise Poles for giving up a second round pick for Claypool.

No one should have expected any WR to come into a team being torn down, midway through the season and expect a miracle.

A move for Ridley would have been the same. It would have been made for THIS season and not last season.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Because people that know football and, more specifically, the Shannahan offense, know that it is a complicated offense and it was going to be near impossible for Claypool to learn it instantly.

What Poles intended was to bring in a WR for 2023 to help the offense. Seeing that the free agency WR class was not going to be strong, he risked a 2nd rounder to get, in his estimation, the best WR he could.

Now his evaluation of Claypool could have been wrong, and you can blame him for that if you wish, but at least wait for 2023 to play out before you start throwing stones at Poles for trading for Claypool.

This is the year that Poles expected to get a return for the Claypool trade, not last year.

If you believe that Claypool was going to suddenly know the Getsy offense after a few practices in 2022, it is you who made the mistake, not Poles.

Now if Claypool does nothing in 2023, then Poles will have made a mistake and is worthy of being blamed for the trade.
That is thoughtful, well represented argument for a patient results oriented approach to the evaluation of the Claypool trade. Sorry, that won't fly here!

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
That is thoughtful, well represented argument for a patient results oriented approach to the evaluation of the Claypool trade. Sorry, that won't fly here!
I am just worried that Claypool will go on IR before cut day due to being pummeled with 100s of thousands of ripped dicks thrown at him.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

You keeping acting like I am crucifying Poles for the trade, when I have said multiple times I don't blame him for taking the shot and that I hope I am wrong about Claypool. I just don't see it and I really don't see Claypool as being a part of this team after this year. Which is why I don't hate on Poles for shooting his shot, but can look at that trade and say that it is looking like it was a mistake. Maybe I am a hater, I just don't think Claypool is nothing more than an average at best WR. Hope I am wrong and he turns into a solid weapon for Fields.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If Claypool has any success this season, receipts will be handed out

I'm just saying

I will happily take those receipts, I just don't see it with Claypool so not to worried about your e-receipts

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
You keeping acting like I am crucifying Poles for the trade, when I have said multiple times I don't blame him for taking the shot and that I hope I am wrong about Claypool. I just don't see it and I really don't see Claypool as being a part of this team after this year. Which is why I don't hate on Poles for shooting his shot, but can look at that trade and say that it is looking like it was a mistake. Maybe I am a hater, I just don't think Claypool is nothing more than an average at best WR. Hope I am wrong and he turns into a solid weapon for Fields.
And you completely ignored what I said.

It cannot be considered a mistake if Poles did not expect results from Claypool in 2022 because of the offense.

Now if Claypool does not produce in 2023 when he knows the offense, then it can be considered a mistake AFTER the season.

As for the hater comment, Claypool has at least shown that he could be something special. He did it his rookie year and, while not a guarantee of anything, if you did something special once, you have a chance of repeating it.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Any updates on our rookie RT?