Official 2023 Training Camp thread

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
From the sounds of everyone who has been to camp, it sounds like he has taken a step forward but he's not there yet.

Progress.

Who else have you read that said that? (Not doubting you.... I just like to read all sides)

Pretty much everything I've read is just talking about the Justin to DJ bromance.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Who else have you read that said that? (Not doubting you.... I just like to read all sides)

Pretty much everything I've read is just talking about the Justin to DJ bromance.
Heard it from Mark Carmen and Dan Wiederer. I think there was also a play referenced by Hoge to where Fields held the ball a tick too long and it gave the DB enough time to make a play on the ball.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
"Has Fields made a big jump forward with his timing and rhythm? "

"I don't know that I'd say that."

"There's still room to grow"

"I think that's a work in progress"

- Brad Biggs this morning on the radio

Mentioned a lot of checks downs to RB's on 7 on 7 and that those guys probably aren't the primary read. Also mentioned Fields obviously isn't using his legs at this point in camp.

(Those quotes were taken from a longer conversation but Brad doesn't seem to be super positive right now. No overly negative... but definitely not drinking the kool aid like many reporters)
I don't know about anyone else, but not really a fan of Brad Biggs. When he talks, I kinda don't listen. Lol.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
As I recall, the issues surrounding Justin Fields that caused his fall in the draft were:

1). Work ethic - Orlovsky trashed him citing rumors that "He's a last-guy-in, first-guy-out type of quarterback"
2). Mechanics - Orlovsky (again) questioned his delivery speed. I think it was on the draft broadcast I heard him point out a loop in Justin's arm motion.
3). Reading the field - An NFL team put it out there that Justin threw to his 2nd read or later on only 7 of 225 passes.
4). Medicals - There was a late revelation that Fields takes medication for seizures.

Justin has proven himself to be a first in, last out guy, prompting an apology from Orlovsky. There are no questions about his work ethic or leadership. He's definitely tightened his mechanics, speeding up his delivery heading into camp last year. He seems to have cleaned up his footwork this year. The medical doesn't appear to be an issue as he's never suffered a seizure when taking his meds.

Reading the field is the only lingering question. Kurt Warner was very positive about that. In his breakdown, he saw Justin moving through progressions and throwing to the right read. Consensus seems to be that it's less an issue of Fields knowing what's going on and more an issue of trusting what he sees and letting it rip. Hopefully we'll see that as we get into preseason games.
#2 was absolutely true...imo, at the beginning of last season, he seemed to have overcome the 'loop', but at times it sneaked back into his motion......#3 is very troubling , if true....which I wouldn't say it isn't, becuase I have mentioned that he needs to 'dump it off' sooner.....

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins

Mentioned a lot of checks downs to RB's on 7 on 7 and that those guys probably aren't the primary read. Also mentioned Fields obviously isn't using his legs at this point in camp.

(Those quotes were taken from a longer conversation but Brad doesn't seem to be super positive right now. No overly negative... but definitely not drinking the kool aid like many reporters)
I like the check downs practice....and I hope it is repetitive on purpose.....JF NEEDS to understand that 2nd & 7. or 6 is BETTER THAN 2nd & 10.....and at times a dump off can get a 1st down.....Its what good QBs do!!!!

Moses Moreno

RB1 - VELUS JONES JR
Liked Posts:

I like the fact that he's using the RBs more because that's something he did very little of at OSU and it's a meta that helps keep him a bit healthier than scrambling so much and avoids INTs.

I like that he doesn't force things through the air because that's a really bad habit to break (Jay Cutler). He's super capable of extending plays with his legs to create plays down the field when shit breaks down.

I really like what they're trying to develop him into.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Was Jason not available?

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like the check downs practice....and I hope it is repetitive on purpose.....JF NEEDS to understand that 2nd & 7. or 6 is BETTER THAN 2nd & 10.....and at times a dump off can get a 1st down.....Its what good QBs do!!!!
Yeah, isn't this what he was blasted on repeatedly? That he was too much of a big-game hunter and didn't take the "gimmies?"