Official 2023 Training Camp thread

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Eh, I think they want JJ to be a long-term player, he is just in a bit of limbo with his play.

He's sort of a mid tier two CB right now that flashes tier one upside.

And contracts for tier 2 guys that start are tricky. Cause on the one hand, the team has shown they are comfortable depending on them. On the other hand, there is room to upgrade.

From the team perspective, the production can prob be replaced with a younger guy on a rookie contract. From the player perspective, he's been a competent starter for years. I can see where this could lead to a gulf in valuation.

The FO is prob hoping JJ raises his game this season to make a more compelling argument for an extension

If he doesn't, I am guessing you are right and they'll try to move him.
Yeah, bro, I was thinking about this today, too. I’m thinking that they may pull a mid-season trade with JJ if they can’t get to a place where they feel they could make a deal. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Pace get a draft pick or somebody else’s player for him. I think it hinges on the play of the two rookies.

Personally, I would not want to see JJ replaced by a couple of rookies, but it would definitely be on brand for Poles to trade JJ before the deadline to get some value if they feel he can be replaced by a dude on a rookie contract, especially seeing how they may have two of them already on the roster.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts: