Official Blackhawks 2024 Offseason Thread-Bedard owns Chicago

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think that pipeline article shows what I've been saying (and other agreeing with) that the high draft picks quantity has been so important to "hit" on with value. The tendency and knee jerk in the past from some GMs around the league is to build to as many picks as possible in order to swing for the fences and hope you hit on enough and not worry about the rest because you only have so many roster spots. I think lucking out with Bedard has allowed the conservative approach to gathering picks and taking quality will pay off with articles like this pipeline detail.

The approach seems to be really health for this club in that they still have enough to hit home runs, and the rest will be quality enough that even if they can't break into our lineup, they will be super valuable trade capital especially at a trade deadline when we're trying to make a cup push or reduce the impact of a key injury down the road when they are competitive. I've said all along that the goal of the GM is to get as many players into the NHL as possible, regardless of what team they play for, sets precedence and trade value for your players higher too.
I think that the approach KD is doing is fine--at least for now. Time will tell how his players develop. I think he recognizes that you not only need your generals, but you need your soldiers as well. That's not necessarily trying to hit a home run but going for guys with moderate-to moderately high ceilings and high floors--i.e. non risky players to fill out the middle 4/middle 6.

Bedard helped and he was a no-brainer, and I agree it helped with the conservative approach, which should pay dividends.

I also agree on getting as many NHL-caliber players as well, not just high-risk/high-ceiling guys. Quality, young mid-tier guys have a demand and can always be used for trade pieces. If a high-risk/high ceiling player fails, well, they're as worthless as a cock-flavored lollipop.
As far as Reichel goes....some players take longer to click than others. Duncan Keith was barely mediocre till he was 24. I think we will find out a lot more about him this year. He's still only 22. And if he doesn't work out....well, you're not gonna strike gold on every pick no matter how high it is.
My complaint is not that we re-signed him--in fact, I think KD did a decent enough job with his current deal. It's like, 50k against the cap if he's sent to Rockford, the cap hit is low, we still retain RFA rights when it's up, and it's only 2 years and thus we can see if he breaks out *this* year after a possible soph. slump without the results being clouded by him being in a contract year and playing for a new paycheck.

My complaint was that he didn't replicate his first partial-year success and looked disinterested through the bulk of the year and played almost like he was owed a spot based on talent alone--like Nylander the Lesser and Sikura before him. I think the smart move was to Rockford him and at the end of the year it looked like he started to get his head and ass wired together.

That and based on how they looked, I think it was redonkulous to claim that Reichel's compete level was "average" and Korch's was below average. Korch looked like he had the same--or better compete; he was just out of his depth (like Keith 2006). Either they both were average or they both were below average.

And yes, that being said if Korch doesn't light up training camp I think he should go to Rockford to learn the finer points of D-play--especially if he's paired with someone like Jones.

I do think LR and KD need to inform him that he will be watched and nothing is guaranteed, but in the same vein we've seen he can be usable in the top-6 and he should be able to replicate that, so I'm not upset about him being here and getting icetime for the 'hawks. We're still trying to flesh out the next core and new lineups and he should be part of that process. But again, nothing should be guaranteed for him.

Last edited:

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Blues 4-3 in OT.
Hawks looked good with possession.
Ice got bad, no shovels.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hawks won and shit tonight y'all.
Hockey hockey rawr rawr!

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I hope so. But indications are that Bowman the Beancounter all but promised Jones that the next gen would be his team...then Beach happened. Then we got Bedard.

I'm hoping he takes it with the tact and grace that Seabrook did all those years before her wore the A--all the while he was deserving of a letter.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I hope so. But indications are that Bowman the Beancounter all but promised Jones that the next gen would be his team...then Beach happened. Then we got Bedard.

I'm hoping he takes it with the tact and grace that Seabrook did all those years before her wore the A--all the while he was deserving of a letter.
I think the difference here is I haven't seen anything other than that large contract to suggest Jones should be the captain. I think this move is very healthy for the team as it removes uncertainty from the leaders and they can play their roles now. My only worry is that I bet Foligno is a trade deadline target again. This would 1. Be a short stint and 2. Make them more reluctant to part ways with him or pass on good deals and I don't think they're at the point yet where they can look past any deal that makes the tea better.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think the difference here is I haven't seen anything other than that large contract to suggest Jones should be the captain. I think this move is very healthy for the team as it removes uncertainty from the leaders and they can play their roles now. My only worry is that I bet Foligno is a trade deadline target again. This would 1. Be a short stint and 2. Make them more reluctant to part ways with him or pass on good deals and I don't think they're at the point yet where they can look past any deal that makes the tea better.
I heard some rumors and rumblings (nothing substantiated) that when Stan signed him it was so he could be the next in line.

I do think that Ferrigno should have got it. I do think it's a good thing for the kids and the leadership roles of the squad. I do think that they kept the captaincy vacant last year to see if Bedard would have a moment like Toews telling the media in 2008 that "the team doesn't hate to lose enough." and step into a leadership role, but he didn't. SO, the 'hawks went with an Aucoin/Lapointe situation--vet until a kid steps into the role like Toews did.

Given that Foligno is signed through 2026, I don't think he'll be tradebait this season. He's 36 and making 4.5M. I think that there are other players who would be more likely to be the crux of an improving-the-team trade, and better vets to be a fill-in piece. TDL of 2026, maybe, but by that time we'll have a better pulse of the youth leadership.

Plus, the last two long-tenured captains for the 'hawks were Graham and Toews, unless you count Cheli's 4 year stint. all of the other captains in between have been 2 years or less.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts: