Official Blackhawks 2024 Offseason Thread-Bedard owns Chicago

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We are going to have to agree to disagree on Niemi. He was very good. No team wins a Cup with a 'good enough' goalie. The comments on Pickle & Korch are golden.
Stat-wise, Niemi was average in 2010; posting a .912. for the regular season and .910 for the playoffs. He was *the* factor in the San Jose series; I won't argue that. But, contrast to Crawford in 2013 (.929/.932) and 2015 (.924/.924). 2015 Crawford behind the 2010 D wins the cup. 2010 Niemi behind the 2015 D doesn't (Crawford almost didn't).

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Stat-wise, Niemi was average in 2010; posting a .912. for the regular season and .910 for the playoffs. He was *the* factor in the San Jose series; I won't argue that. But, contrast to Crawford in 2013 (.929/.932) and 2015 (.924/.924). 2015 Crawford behind the 2010 D wins the cup. 2010 Niemi behind the 2015 D doesn't (Crawford almost didn't).
Thanks for the stats. Very informative for me in this discussion. Imo .910 is the cut-off between very good and good. Under .900 is not going to get it done, no matter who else is on the team....900 -.910 is where I put the 'good enough' crowd........910 - .920 is very good and .920 and above is All-Star level. Again, this is how I look at......now I do realize that as a whole the league's goalies good have, and probably have raised their level of play. Idk,,,,I don't follow the league anymore, just our beloved. But I'm I wrong in thinking that there does seem to be more goalies with Russian, and/or Slavic surnames? I will say that my line of thinking of goalie stats could be outdated. But yea, that sweep of the Sharks was sweet. I don't think anyone saw that coming.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Arty was a #2 pick,the only way I don't see him in Chicago is if he goes back to school. These older guys are just placeholders...if any of the kids appear to be ready they will be watching games on TV.
Word was he's going back to Michigan state for a year before the draft.

Should of took the Russian coming over on the same timeline.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

First, why didn't we sign sam Lafferty? That made the trade highlight for me.

Second, look at this list of top Blackhawks forwards and the imnocile who can't fill out his top 3 correct because he completely forgot Taylor Hall, or Hall is dead?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thanks for the stats. Very informative for me in this discussion. Imo .910 is the cut-off between very good and good. Under .900 is not going to get it done, no matter who else is on the team....900 -.910 is where I put the 'good enough' crowd........910 - .920 is very good and .920 and above is All-Star level. Again, this is how I look at......now I do realize that as a whole the league's goalies good have, and probably have raised their level of play. Idk,,,,I don't follow the league anymore, just our beloved. But I'm I wrong in thinking that there does seem to be more goalies with Russian, and/or Slavic surnames? I will say that my line of thinking of goalie stats could be outdated. But yea, that sweep of the Sharks was sweet. I don't think anyone saw that coming.
I ran the numbers a few years ago: since the 2005 lockout: starter average for goalies is .915, so the goalie for each team who has the most icetime, averaged for every team per season, averages to .915.

For ALL goalies who have seen any icetime, average is .911.

Again, since the 2005 lockout. Bring the 80's into it and it drops. Big-time.

.912 is not bad, just run of the mill. If the D allows something like 25.1 shots against per game (which the 'hawks did), and a cup happens. Contrast to 2015: .924 with 30.5 shots against per game. Cup and Jennings.

This has implications for the current build. If we get a great goalie; like .920+, we can get away with looser D. If we get an average goaile, we will need smothering D.

If we get both? Like 2013? .926 and 26.2 shots against per game? Cup, Jennings, record winning streaks; the kind of year that makes you say, "Fuckin-A right Chicago!"

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's what I saw in him as well. BUT....he personally won a series against the Sharks in the first cup year. Hawks were outplayed in that series and easily could have been ousted right there. That would nean NO Cup in 2010 and absolutely no guarantee of any other Cup years to follow.

Thankfully for the Hawks, Neimi was all world for that one important series.....but even more important was that Cory Crawford was waiting right around the corner to replace him.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

I remember the night he was drafted I thought for sure he was the new guard for the core shortly after.

Last edited:

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
I ran the numbers a few years ago: since the 2005 lockout: starter average for goalies is .915, so the goalie for each team who has the most icetime, averaged for every team per season, averages to .915.

For ALL goalies who have seen any icetime, average is .911.

Again, since the 2005 lockout. Bring the 80's into it and it drops. Big-time.

.912 is not bad, just run of the mill. If the D allows something like 25.1 shots against per game (which the 'hawks did), and a cup happens. Contrast to 2015: .924 with 30.5 shots against per game. Cup and Jennings.

This has implications for the current build. If we get a great goalie; like .920+, we can get away with looser D. If we get an average goaile, we will need smothering D.

If we get both? Like 2013? .929 and 26.2 shots against per game? Cup, Jennings, record winning streaks; the kind of year that makes you say, "Fuckin-A right Chicago!"
Thanks for the insight....I figured goal tending had gotten better over the years, but didn't know by how much. This gives me a better gauge on the goal tending. Thanks again.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's what I saw in him as well. BUT....he personally won a series against the Sharks in the first cup year. Hawks were outplayed in that series and easily could have been ousted right there. That would nean NO Cup in 2010 and absolutely no guarantee of any other Cup years to follow.

Thankfully for the Hawks, Neimi was all world for that one important series.....but even more important was that Cory Crawford was waiting right around the corner to replace him.
Of course. I think the thing about Niemi is that he was streaky. Same with Darling. Crawford, aside from the 2012 outlier was a very stable netminder.

Also, Crawford had Niemi beat out of camp, but contracts and waivers came into play. I don't know how Crawford would have done had he be given the reins of the 2010 team at that his stage of development, but I'm glad they kicked him forward a year and he got pointers from Emery and Turco. I think that was better for him and the team.
Thanks for the insight....I figured goal tending had gotten better over the years, but didn't know by how much. This gives me a better gauge on the goal tending. Thanks again.
No problem. I figure that the goaltending we end up with will affect the D we need to have to rebuild a multi-year contender. If Der Commesso, etc. are Crawford or better, like I said we could get away with a more porous D because they'll be apt to bail the team out. If Not--if they are an average to good netminder, then we will need a tighter D.

2010 and 2013 will likely be a pipe dream in terms of D-capabilities--not just for the D personnel but also the defensive players up front: Toews, Kruger, Bolland, Sharp, and especially Hossa. That is another task for KfC.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Of course. I think the thing about Niemi is that he was streaky. Same with Darling. Crawford, aside from the 2012 outlier was a very stable netminder.

Also, Crawford had Niemi beat out of camp, but contracts and waivers came into play. I don't know how Crawford would have done had he be given the reins of the 2010 team at that his stage of development, but I'm glad they kicked him forward a year and he got pointers from Emery and Turco. I think that was better for him and the team.

No problem. I figure that the goaltending we end up with will affect the D we need to have to rebuild a multi-year contender. If Der Commesso, etc. are Crawford or better, like I said we could get away with a more porous D because they'll be apt to bail the team out. If Not--if they are an average to good netminder, then we will need a tighter D.

2010 and 2013 will likely be a pipe dream in terms of D-capabilities--not just for the D personnel but also the defensive players up front: Toews, Kruger, Bolland, Sharp, and especially Hossa. That is another task for KfC.
Part of the joy of watching a team become a champion, is the growth of the individual players morphing into that team. We don't know which Junior & College players this will be, but it's going to be fun watching, and seeing that growth. The only position I'm concerned about is goal tending. Their numbers don't always translate into the NHL smoothly. All other positions have plenty of competition imo.

SkyKing

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We all knew that when KD dismantled the team to get draft picks it would be a long process waiting for 18 yr olds to develop. Many youngsters are a crap shoot in any sport but it will be interesting to see who will and who won't make it at the NHL level. As fans, all we can do is be patient. As far as goalies, if the kids they have in the system don't make its, free agency is always an option when the time comes.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What is this bullux I'm reading about tampering for Bertuzzi?

Like we had to tamper to overpay Bertuzzi? We better get a good lawyer for this, I call bullshit.

The guy was scewered all year by his own media, own team, and benched as punishment for at least a game.

My impression was things haven't been great for him since being traded to Bruins and then failing expectations.

His effort has been questioned and his ice value. I didn't view him as a player that would interest this coach.

And we tampered for him?
What gives?
Someone explain this situation better than my disjointed tornado of whispers.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I imagine maybe it would come from the articles previously that talked about Nick foligno reaching out to him or his agent or something directly maybe that was out of the proper window.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Part of the joy of watching a team become a champion, is the growth of the individual players morphing into that team. We don't know which Junior & College players this will be, but it's going to be fun watching, and seeing that growth. The only position I'm concerned about is goal tending. Their numbers don't always translate into the NHL smoothly. All other positions have plenty of competition imo.
How the D shakes up will determine what we need in net--or vice-versa.

If one of our netminders pans out to be above-average, like say .917, that's about 2.5 GAA assuming an average of about 30.5 shots against per game--again, average numbers.

If the D turns out to be previous-core stingy, like 28 shots against per game, even a .911 goalie will have less of a GAA (2.49) than a .917 goalie with a league average shots against per game.

Meanwhile, a .920 will see that 2.5 GAA with 32 shots/game.

Again, statistical averages. But, if we get good D it lessens the need for a superstar goalie--and vice-versa. Plus, O plays into it--if the O can score at will, the D and G just have to let in less than the opposition.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
How the D shakes up will determine what we need in net--or vice-versa.

If one of our netminders pans out to be above-average, like say .917, that's about 2.5 GAA assuming an average of about 30.5 shots against per game--again, average numbers.

If the D turns out to be previous-core stingy, like 28 shots against per game, even a .911 goalie will have less of a GAA (2.49) than a .917 goalie with a league average shots against per game.

Meanwhile, a .920 will see that 2.5 GAA with 32 shots/game.

Again, statistical averages. But, if we get good D it lessens the need for a superstar goalie--and vice-versa. Plus, O plays into it--if the O can score at will, the D and G just have to let in less than the opposition.
Nice take.....I'm hoping for stingy-D.... AND lights-out goal tending............Am l asking for too much?.....lol........maybe 25 shots against per game.