Official Blackhawks 2024 Offseason Thread-Bedard owns Chicago

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
have lots of prospects with tons of potential but part of the plan is when to call them up that will trigger team control. In 4 years idk how high cap will be but all these contracts this year will be off the books by then and they should have a clearer picture what they have with prospects and what they need to do in trade/fa to make up for failed ones

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
I don't put much faith in Plus minus. Kaiser was a 0 in his stint. Really liked what he had going there for a while. Hope he continues too but I still think pickle is better right now.
Agree about not putting much into stats...they are a gauge, not an instrument....but that difference is -107..that can't be a mistake.....teams were scoring a hell of a lot more when he wasn't on the ice. And he being on the ice probably had something to do with the other team not scoring as often. That's an average of more than 1 goal a game not given up when the Big Pickle, as you call him, and I like that nickname btw.....is on the ice. Kaizer was limited in games, but that helps my outlook because he will also end up being a regular on the team. (or some team, hopefully w/BHs) Right, both will be young playahs who are going to turn around this franchise.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
What was his biggest mistake? Bickell contract? Seabrook’s extension? Trading Panarin and getting bad players back?
Imo he made so many that if you asked 10 people what his biggest mistake was, you would get 10 different answers. But that's my opinion. Imo, it was getting rid of Big Buff with many close seconds.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
One can debate which of those moves plus dozens of others were transactionally the worst, but the biggest mistake was retaining a GM that lacked any vision and strategy and clearly was in way over his head.
You're correct...that was the biggest mistake....great insight...

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
have lots of prospects with tons of potential but part of the plan is when to call them up that will trigger team control. In 4 years idk how high cap will be but all these contracts this year will be off the books by then and they should have a clearer picture what they have with prospects and what they need to do in trade/fa to make up for failed ones
I'm hoping it's 2 years when the smoke will be cleared....but again it's a age thing with me.....lol.....I'd like to see da BHs & da Bears win it again before I meet my Heavenly Father....

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

“It’s funny, this is way back … I picked Teuvo up from the airport when he first came over,” Davidson said. “I don’t even know if he remembers me or knows that the guy that picked him up is the same person that signed him now.”

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

Blackhawks general manager Kyle Davidson made the message clear to Kevin Korchinski.

“He’s a guy who has to come in and earn a spot,” Davidson said Friday.

That’s essentially the message to all the Hawks’ young players. They’ll have to definitively prove they’re NHL-ready rather than simply seem NHL-ready. With so much more quantity and quality on the roster next season, spots won’t be cleared for them preemptively.

“Young guys will have to be convincing in doing so,” Davidson said. “What we don’t want is to give them a spot and then, after a month or so, it’s just not working out and we had to clear someone out to clear a spot for them and then we can’t get that player back. We want to be sure they’re going to come in, elevate the whole group through their play and be able to sustain that.”

That was the biggest takeaway from the GM’s news conference after a busy week. He hopes the influx of talent created by signing seven veteran free agents will help the Hawks be able to “play with the puck more and control the game more” next season than they have during the past two loss-laden seasons.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins

Blackhawks general manager Kyle Davidson made the message clear to Kevin Korchinski.

“He’s a guy who has to come in and earn a spot,” Davidson said Friday.

That’s essentially the message to all the Hawks’ young players. They’ll have to definitively prove they’re NHL-ready rather than simply seem NHL-ready. With so much more quantity and quality on the roster next season, spots won’t be cleared for them preemptively.

“Young guys will have to be convincing in doing so,” Davidson said. “What we don’t want is to give them a spot and then, after a month or so, it’s just not working out and we had to clear someone out to clear a spot for them and then we can’t get that player back. We want to be sure they’re going to come in, elevate the whole group through their play and be able to sustain that.”

That was the biggest takeaway from the GM’s news conference after a busy week. He hopes the influx of talent created by signing seven veteran free agents will help the Hawks be able to “play with the puck more and control the game more” next season than they have during the past two loss-laden seasons.
Absolutely! Let the competition have the 'cream rise to the top'......make it on merit, no matter your draft position, or years in the league. It's about the present, not the past.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Lets hope they dont rush him. Arty that is.
Or any of the other prospects. Obviously Bedard was an exception to the rule. Hopefully Arty will be up for 9 games sometime in the 2nd half of the season. I'd like to see a few others too, up next season.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Or any of the other prospects. Obviously Bedard was an exception to the rule. Hopefully Arty will be up for 9 games sometime in the 2nd half of the season. I'd like to see a few others too, up next season.
Honestly, let all of the prospect/2nd year D fight it out against the vets for the slots. If perchance the kids are good enough to permanently hold a roster slot for the full season then fine. If not; if they are a 6/7 then Rockford them. Let the vets like Murphy, Martinez, etc. fetch Pang his equivalent to Soft-serve and give the kids a taste when the vets get injured.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The vast resources the team has will all disappear quickly in order to compete for a Cup because they need to acquire the following:
* a top tier goaltender
* a #1 D-man so Jones can get pushed down to 2nd pairing
* a top-line sniper on the wing

And that assumes many of the prospects develop to become solid mid-line NHL players. Lots of ifs and maybes, my overarching point being that while the team is rich in resources they will have to be invested very prudently, and we gonna need some luck to boot.
Keep in mind we won't the 1st cup without a top -tier netminder. Niemi was "good enough" behind one of the best D's we've been lucky to witness.

If the 'hawks get a 3-zone defender in the same class as Keith they might not need that top tier goalie. If they get that top tier goalie they might be able to get away with not having a Keith as long as Pickle continues to bail out Jones and Korch gets a D-1st partner.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Honestly, let all of the prospect/2nd year D fight it out against the vets for the slots. If perchance the kids are good enough to permanently hold a roster slot for the full season then fine. If not; if they are a 6/7 then Rockford them. Let the vets like Murphy, Martinez, etc. fetch Pang his equivalent to Soft-serve and give the kids a taste when the vets get injured.
Your take is spot-on. My point is more on the take of "if the Young D-men are the 6/7 on the team", then send them to Rockford to get mucho ice time. On this I couldn't agree more. Sounds to me that KD prefers to have the prospects in Rockford. But I could've misunderstood some of his comments. Before FA, my thoughts were many prospects would be in preseason camp, after FA not so much. I do hope DelMastro, Allen, Kaiser & Phillips get legit chances to win a spot, and that one will. Adding to the D position youth movement with Vlasic and Korshinski.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Keep in mind we won't the 1st cup without a top -tier netminder. Niemi was "good enough" behind one of the best D's we've been lucky to witness.

If the 'hawks get a 3-zone defender in the same class as Keith they might not need that top tier goalie. If they get that top tier goalie they might be able to get away with not having a Keith as long as Pickle continues to bail out Jones and Korch gets a D-1st partner.
We are going to have to agree to disagree on Niemi. He was very good. No team wins a Cup with a 'good enough' goalie. The comments on Pickle & Korch are golden.