Official Blackhawks 2024 Offseason Thread-Bedard owns Chicago

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh, I agree. There will be a lot of movement both during the season and at the deadline. Combining injuries, the kids getting their feet wet and deadline deals. Even if they are on the border of the playoffs, I don't expect KD to be a buyer. This team is still a work in progress.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Injuries and struggles are inevitable too, a team like this is going to need depth and flexibility to make changes. As well as have pieces to move to fill the holes that inevitably will come up. Having too many players is a much better position than too few. Also goes back to my pre-draft question of a log jam of young players, who then you'll be battling with all their next contracts coming up at the same time. We want all these kids to be good and play now, but it's a fine balance of them being good and playing now when the team sucks, vs. possibly not being able to afford them when the team is getting good and then making some very tough decisions.
Imo the odds are your latter statement. It's going to come down to not being able to afford all the young players on 2nd contracts. Tough decisions will have to be made, and imo, that's a very good position to be. A tough one, but nonetheless, a very good one. I have confidence it won't be f*^@*d- up like how the last regime did it. And again, some of these guys will be traded somewhere down the line.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Imo the odds are your latter statement. It's going to come down to not being able to afford all the young players on 2nd contracts. Tough decisions will have to be made, and imo, that's a very good position to be. A tough one, but nonetheless, a very good one. I have confidence it won't be f*^@*d- up like how the last regime did it. And again, some of these guys will be traded somewhere down the line.
I now it's early and guys need time to develop, but, based on my early observations I haven't seen any of the young guys other than #98 & #72 flash anything that screams cornerstone. From my eye they are mostly trending to be mid/sold types. I don't care if this team comes anywhere near the playoffs this season, all that really matters is that another handful of young players step up and project to be capable of skating on a top line and putting the opposing team on their heals.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
My takeaways:

Backup goalie got alot better...(and should see more starts than soderblum )

Bottom 6 fwd got better with actual nhl players....but 10-12 of 14 fwd group is made up of bottom 6 type vets except for Bedard/Teuvo...and maybe bertuzzi/hall.

Young fwds (nazar/slaggert) will likely be in minors most of season until injuries/trades

Martinez is OK but a shell of his former self

Overall the team should be better but still struggle to score and likely still a way from a wc spot...prob picking in top 10 again
Good post, but I hope your last sentence will be wrong. Last season was definitely a struggle to score. Hoping not this season. A big disappointment if that happens. However, I do expect most goals to be ugly, except for Bedard, Kureshev (sp) and Teuvo for the most part. No offense to you, but I sure hope you're mistaken about picking Top-10 again. Definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
I now it's early and guys need time to develop, but, based on my early observations I haven't seen any of the young guys other than #98 & #72 flash anything that screams cornerstone. From my eye they are mostly trending to be mid/sold types. I don't care if this team comes anywhere near the playoffs this season, all that really matters is that another handful of young players step up and project to be capable of skating on a top line and putting the opposing team on their heals.
I'm mainly projecting on the college highlights of some of the past picks. I admit doing it in college and taking the next step to the NHL is two different animals. Moore, Rinzel, Greene, Nazar (although he did play a few games with the big boys) among others in college and the juniors. One thing I've noticed about them is they all have one thing in common, they can skate!

Last edited:

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
For sure, but they are all still very young like you say, and one that you noted is the generational talent, and the other is to me sort of the hit rate you'd expect with this many first and second round picks. I keep going back to a previous post of mine, 8 first round picks in a 3 year span. The hit rate on those should be very high. But even if we hit on just 4, you're going to hit on a bunch of later round picks too like you already have with Vlasic, you need to figure out a way to spread that out some to keep the pipeline of talented youth flowing instead of them all being ready at once. In a salary cap era we have plenty of space now, but that's going to shrink considerably in the coming years especially when you have to expect Bedard to set the tone at what ever the max for him will be.

I think the Hawks already have 2 more 1's next year too, so that will be 10 first round picks in 4 years. Abundance of talent, and you have to get them all into the league, regardless if it's for your team or someone else. This is what the rebuild led to, not only talent on the team, but capital to trade and build around it. Really hope every single one of these picks make an NHL roster one day because that means Chicago did something very right and also got a lot of value into the lineup and out of the trades.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
I agree about having the cornerstones, that's imperative. Let's take the previous Cup team. I would say Toews, Hossa, Kane, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook and Njarmasson (sp) were cornerstones. (should of kept Buff and Brouwer). I made have missed someone, but that's 7 cornerstones. Imo, that's a ton. I agree with the two you named on the present team. I am hoping that the BHs will get 5-7 more from the last 4 drafts. Especially from KD's 3. KD has had 8 - 1sts...5 - 2nds......8 - 3rds....that's 21 picks and if 1 in 3 hit as cornerstones and the rest solid players, ....who knows what can happen? I'm sure there are a few lower picks who may work out. Del Mastro, Crevier, Phillips, Pharand, Marcel......But, yes, I'm speculating. But I hope it's more than speculation, and more correct observation on their talent. Time will tell.

Edit: Should have put Crawford in as a cornerstone. I believe he was underappreciated by most.

Last edited:

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
For sure, but they are all still very young like you say, and one that you noted is the generational talent, and the other is to me sort of the hit rate you'd expect with this many first and second round picks. I keep going back to a previous post of mine, 8 first round picks in a 3 year span. The hit rate on those should be very high. But even if we hit on just 4, you're going to hit on a bunch of later round picks too like you already have with Vlasic, you need to figure out a way to spread that out some to keep the pipeline of talented youth flowing instead of them all being ready at once. In a salary cap era we have plenty of space now, but that's going to shrink considerably in the coming years especially when you have to expect Bedard to set the tone at what ever the max for him will be.

I think the Hawks already have 2 more 1's next year too, so that will be 10 first round picks in 4 years. Abundance of talent, and you have to get them all into the league, regardless if it's for your team or someone else. This is what the rebuild led to, not only talent on the team, but capital to trade and build around it. Really hope every single one of these picks make an NHL roster one day because that means Chicago did something very right and also got a lot of value into the lineup and out of the trades.
Next year Toronto's No. 1 is Top-10 protected.......unprotected if carried over to '26. But at least it is a No.1 pick in hand.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yea...no open spots anywhere for the prospects....I thought a few would make the team next season....but I go along with the BHs plan of getting these guys 'seasoning' at Rockford. I at this time have no complaints with the BHs game plan. This also tells me, and I want to see this, that Leshunov is going back to MSU for his sophomore year. imo, it's the right move. I don't know how many of you knew this, but I just read the other day that Leshunov was the D-player of The Year in the Big-Ten. One word summary....Impressive! More fuel on the fire why I'm glad the BHs drafted him.
I think we'll see a D prospect. Who? I think traning camp will determine that. But guys like Murphy and Martinez are capable of being the 6-7 and coming in if the kids aren't up to snuff yet.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I will say though, that I absolutely love the Big Pickle, I hope he's a lifer and continues to progress the talent he's shown, but he's not out of the woods yet. Lot of growth still needed and again it's hard to say how talented he really is with how starved for anything to cheer for we were last year. He's going to need to be able to continue to stand out on a team that may not need him to come up big in key times as much as last year because their was just.... no one else.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Good post, but I hope your last sentence will be wrong. Last season was definitely a struggle to score. Hoping not this season. A big disappointment if that happens. However, I do expect most goals to be ugly, except for Bedard, Kureshev (sp) and Teuvo for the most part. No offense to you, but I sure hope you're mistaken about picking Top-10 again. Definitely not out of the realm of possibility.
Well....they could improve by 30 points....a huge improvement....and still be picking in the top 10 (right around 10).

they'll need close to a 40-50 point improvement to be in the playoff hunt.....quite a drastic improvement with basically a bunch of 30+ year old, bottom 6 guys and d added

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Well....they could improve by 30 points....a huge improvement....and still be picking in the top 10 (right around 10).

they'll need close to a 40-50 point improvement to be in the playoff hunt.....quite a drastic improvement with basically a bunch of 30+ year old, bottom 6 guys and d added
yea...guess I wasn't aware of the point jump to make the playoffs, or even getting out of the Bottom - 10. Thanks for the epiphany.....

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
I will say though, that I absolutely love the Big Pickle, I hope he's a lifer and continues to progress the talent he's shown, but he's not out of the woods yet. Lot of growth still needed and again it's hard to say how talented he really is with how starved for anything to cheer for we were last year. He's going to need to be able to continue to stand out on a team that may not need him to come up big in key times as much as last year because their was just.... no one else.
I'll agree to a point but I think he sees that big meadow just beyond end of the trees.....lol.....as I stated in a previous post...He was a -4 on a team that was a -111.....to me, that's telling.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I'll agree to a point but I think he sees that big meadow just beyond end of the trees.....lol.....as I stated in a previous post...He was a -4 on a team that was a -111.....to me, that's telling.
I don't put much faith in Plus minus. Kaiser was a 0 in his stint. Really liked what he had going there for a while. Hope he continues too but I still think pickle is better right now.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
The vast resources the team has will all disappear quickly in order to compete for a Cup because they need to acquire the following:
* a top tier goaltender
* a #1 D-man so Jones can get pushed down to 2nd pairing
* a top-line sniper on the wing

And that assumes many of the prospects develop to become solid mid-line NHL players. Lots of ifs and maybes, my overarching point being that while the team is rich in resources they will have to be invested very prudently, and we gonna need some luck to boot.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The vast resources the team has will all disappear quickly in order to compete for a Cup because they need to acquire the following:
* a top tier goaltender

And that assumes many of the prospects develop to become solid mid-line NHL players. Lots of ifs and maybes, my overarching point being that while the team is rich in resources they will have to be invested very prudently, and we gonna need some luck to boot.
There is time.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
As to the first bolded sentence, not so sure about that. I started whining about 5 years ago that the earliest this team could possibly ice a competitive team would be '24-'25, and most that I was being too negative, but they are now still a couple years away - at least. And other than a couple obvious cornerstone players currently on the roster, there is nothing but unproven potential.

The second bolded sentence must be underscored, the long-term damage Stan the Lesser inflicted cannot be underestimated, I didn't think a GM could leave a shitier roster and cap situation than Jerry Angelo, but the Lesser is orders of magnitude worse, fuck that guy.
What was his biggest mistake? Bickell contract? Seabrook’s extension? Trading Panarin and getting bad players back?

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
* a top tier goaltender

I think the goalie is going to be the key. In the last 4 drafts they only picked one, Gajan in the second round next year. I'm not a big fan of their goalie development over the last however long since Crow, but they must be confident they can eventually overpay one to come here. I know nothing about how Gajan did this year.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
What was his biggest mistake? Bickell contract? Seabrook’s extension? Trading Panarin and getting bad players back?
One can debate which of those moves plus dozens of others were transactionally the worst, but the biggest mistake was retaining a GM that lacked any vision and strategy and clearly was in way over his head.

Last edited: