Official Blackhawks 2024 Offseason Thread-Bedard owns Chicago

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
We went from one of the worst teams in the booth to one of the better teams. And that's not all on Chris he just didn't have chemistry with Pang.

Last edited:

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
The previous core was not all kids; and not all kids make it.

One thing Kyle from Chicago has to consider is what are the chances that a prospect who can fill a need does so, and how long will they take to fill that void vs. the costs of finding someone who has already been developed and can do it already--like say Brain Campbell. Patrick Sharp might be a better comparable in terms of age and development when he hit the 'hawks but I don't think anyone at the time saw him becoming as-good as he became, but even so Campbell filled a void that the 'hawks needed to fill and there weren't any players in the system at the time who could take his role even in the near future.

If we operate under the assumption that the 2 most pressing needs are size up front or a stay-at-home RHD, then right now we'd have to wager that we have someone in the system who can do those jobs at the NHL level and will develop in a reasonably short amount of time. The other side of that wager is seeing if there's someone extraneous in another team's roster who is already there and can help now--like a team with too many of one kind of player or a team which has to clear space.

I think at least one of those aforementioned "needs" is going to be addressed from outside the organization. We can weaponize the cap space to get short-term stopgap vets, of course. But, we can also weaponize it to get someone from a team who fills a void if they have to part ways with them.

Don't get me wrong, if we can grow the role I hope we do. But if we can fill that role NOW, why not?
This is a good post and I don't disagree but, and I'm old and probably misremembering, I don't think the true veteran core was brought in until the kids we knew we could build around were in place? Right now I only fully trust in Bedard as that toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook young core player. I think this year is about figuring out who the rest of them are with Bedard and then bringing in the Campbell's in sharps next year? You'll still have all that cap flexibility too probably and be able to raise the quality of those guys that you can bring back in

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Age is a factor. Sharp was traded for when he was like 25. Something like that would be ideal. Please don't go all Bowman with yearly rentals....at least not until they contend.
Perfectly ideal, except at the time we didn't know what we had in Sharp--it looked like a depth-for-depth trade at the time. Ultimately that trade became synonymous with "Highway Robbery" :)

The one problem with the way lineups are set is that you can't have 100% kids; we need at least some vets there and we don't want to lock them in; hence rentals. We also don't want to have one of those vets blocking a rookie who is primed to make the jump, either.

But, until we get someone who slots into a needed slot (i.e. top4 stay-at-home RHD), we need to put someone there if there is no kid close, a rental is needed.
I'm liking this. Across Cyberspace Flames fans are sorry to see him go.
This is a good post and I don't disagree but, and I'm old and probably misremembering, I don't think the true veteran core was brought in until the kids we knew we could build around were in place? Right now I only fully trust in Bedard as that toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook young core player. I think this year is about figuring out who the rest of them are with Bedard and then bringing in the Campbell's in sharps next year? You'll still have all that cap flexibility too probably and be able to raise the quality of those guys that you can bring back in
The previous core was indeed somewhat set; getting Bedard somewhat fast-tracked it. We had Keith/Seabs/Hjammer/Toews/Kane when we ended up bringing in Campbell, and subsequently Hossa. Right now we have Bedard, Kurashev, Vlassic, and Jones is kind of like a Campbell. We're missing a couple of pieces which may not be in the prospect pool.

I will say that I don't want us to try to get a long-term vet just to slot in a vet. The right piece needs to fall into our lap, and there are always teams that need to make tough decisions about who to keep and who to boot when the cap comes crushing down.

Last edited:

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Imo Veersteg , Brouwer, Bolland, Bickell and Big Buff were all part of that Young core. Blackhawks were royally screwed by the new inception of the 'cap'.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Also, Blackhawks need another John Madden,....no,no,no,...not THAT John Madden...lol......The 2-Time Cup winner with the Devils. He signed for 1 year but was a great 4th Line Center, leadership, experience, more of a Fore Checking D player who occasionally scored, but so importantly one of the league's best Faceoff guys. He or Toews were out there on every crucial FO. Without the Puck, you can't score. End of story. As Lord has state..."within the organization, or outside, there are a few needs to be filled."....paraphrasing of course....

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Agreed....Why Scotty's kid traded 'Big Buff' after the 1st Cup is still a mystery to me. Until Kane scored the Cup winner, Big Buff led the Cup playoffs with 10 goals. Kane's winner tied Big Buff w/10 goals. He's big, he checked, the hardest hitter in the game, no one better in front of the net, toughest fighter, No. 1 Enforcer in the game, AND he was home grown! WTF was Scotty's kid ' thinking'? I know they were up against the cap, but I thought "no way you get rid of him'........boy was I mistaken. And imo so was Scotty's kid in a big way.

Also, Big buff at 265 completely dominanted the 220 lb. enforcer of the Flyers' Chris Pronger ....a great player, but probably had the biggest mouth in the league....Big Buff threw him around like a rag doll. Humbled that big mouth. And as the series progressed Pronger didn't say much, and when he, it was very low key. One of my favorite match-ups in Chicago sports history.
Bringing up Big Buff brought back the memories. Thanks.

Edit: Let me add Pronger was also condescending & smug, and thought his s#@t didn't stink. And probably was the No.1 enforcer....well, I mean until Big Buff came along. aaaaaaaaahhhhh.....glorious memories.:oprah:
The 2010 Cup Winning team had massive cap issues going into 2011, essentially became a fire sale that offseason. That team was probably deeper than the 2013 & 2015 teams. Every line could score from what I could remember

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
3 guys who I wouldn’t mind seeing the Hawks to go after to pair with Bedsy are Sam Reinhardt, Jake Guntzel, and Beetuzzi. All 3 can be a good complement to Bedsy and can dig the puck out of the corners. This is a good year to add the pieces you need to start moving towards being a playoff team.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
The 2010 Cup Winning team had massive cap issues going into 2011, essentially became a fire sale that offseason. That team was probably deeper than the 2013 & 2015 teams. Every line could score from what I could remember
Absolutely no doubt that was the best of the bunch...not only that, it's considered the best team of that decade. I can't prove it obviously, but that team would have won the Cup 4-6 years in a row, at least imo, had it not been for the 'cap'....which if I remember correctly was the first year of it. Blackhawks got f*%#@d!

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
You're right....every line could score! The second line was Ladd, Sharp & Kane.....that was better than most team's first line. Brouwer on the 3rd line scored 27 goals, or close to it....Veersteg scored 20 I believe and he was on the 3rd most of the time or here and there, when he wasn't in the 'doghouse' with Q because he hardly ever fore checked or back checked.....lol.....the times Q would scream at him....lol....Bolland scored 67 goals his final year in Juniors, but was used as the 3rd line Center, main PK guy and all-around pain in the ass for opponents. That team was going to be one of the greatest ever!!! Eff the effin' cap!!!!!!!!! 🤬

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
You're right....every line could score! The second line was Ladd, Sharp & Kane.....that was better than most team's first line. Brouwer on the 3rd line scored 27 goals, or close to it....Veersteg scored 20 I believe and he was on the 3rd most of the time or here and there, when he wasn't in the 'doghouse' with Q because he hardly ever fore checked or back checked.....lol.....the times Q would scream at him....lol....Bolland scored 67 goals his final year in Juniors, but was used as the 3rd line Center, main PK guy and all-around pain in the ass for opponents. That team was going to be one of the greatest ever!!! Eff the effin' cap!!!!!!!!! 🤬
That’s why what they did in cap era was so great. They couldn’t do what wings did and stay competitive for two decades but still achieved a dynasty. And I think they could have competed longer if bowman the lesser didn’t muck things up

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If it's me, I might bring in one guy....they do have Hall under contract for one more season. Sam Reinhardt, Jake Guntzel, and Bertuzzi would be decent choices but they are all pushing 30 and are probably looking for one last big contract....doubtful that a short term deal is what they're looking for. I know KD already down played the idea but Kaner would be a perfect fit to be the one guy. Of course, he'd have to bypass any Cup aspirations to finish up at home....but I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were him. They have Moore, Nazar, Dach and Ludwinski on the way plus they need to figure out if Reichel is a player or not. Who would be better than Kane in showing these kids the ropes?

How cool would it be to see Kaner and Bedard work a PP together?

blackpep72

Liked Posts:
If it's me, I might bring in one guy....they do have Hall under contract for one more season. Sam Reinhardt, Jake Guntzel, and Bertuzzi would be decent choices but they are all pushing 30 and are probably looking for one last big contract....doubtful that a short term deal is what they're looking for. I know KD already down played the idea but Kaner would be a perfect fit to be the one guy. Of course, he'd have to bypass any Cup aspirations to finish up at home....but I'd do it in a heartbeat if I were him. They have Moore, Nazar, Dach and Ludwinski on the way plus they need to figure out if Reichel is a player or not. Who would be better than Kane in showing these kids the ropes?

I would love that idea :)

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins

There are other prospects who are making their way up besides the ones you mentioned....I know all won't make the NHL with the Blackhawks, some possibly with other teams, but what they will bring is competition to make the team. That competition will have the 'cream rise to the top' and make the Blackhawks a better team. Rinzel, Allen, Del Maestro, Savoie, Misiak, Lardis, Hayes, Thompson, Slaggert and Greene will bring plenty of competitiveness, when their time arrives. Plus, whoever is drafted this year. Blackhawks have the talent, but do they have the organizational coaching that will bring out the best in them?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There are other prospects who are making their way up besides the ones you mentioned....I know all won't make the NHL with the Blackhawks, some possibly with other teams, but what they will bring is competition to make the team. That competition will have the 'cream rise to the top' and make the Blackhawks a better team. Rinzel, Allen, Del Maestro, Savoie, Misiak, Lardis, Hayes, Thompson, Slaggert and Greene will bring plenty of competitiveness, when their time arrives. Plus, whoever is drafted this year. Blackhawks have the talent, but do they have the organizational coaching that will bring out the best in them?
Good question....in his first year Richardson was handed an awful team yet he had them playing competitively. The skill level has been dropping ever since as has the Hawks record. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Draft is next week. I find it odd that the NBA and NHL drafts are in the same week. I wish they would spread them out some more. i'm sure there are reasons for it though timing wise.