Official Blackhawks 2024 Offseason Thread-Bedard owns Chicago

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Sharks won’t entertain. Celebrni played youth hockey in the San Jose area and came up through that program. He is basically a hometown kid.

Think you take the D-man and use 18 to trade for an established young forward on a team that is up against the cap

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sharks won’t entertain. Celebrni played youth hockey in the San Jose area and came up through that program. He is basically a hometown kid.

Think you take the D-man and use 18 to trade for an established young forward on a team that is up against the cap
Exactly. I don't really care how we get the players, but we still need a stay-at-home RHD, a big winger to play with Bedard & Kurashev to win physical battles, and a #2C with D upside. If we get D in the draft, great. If we go outside the organization for the D, great. As long as we fill that need.
Decent depth/Rockford signing.

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Exactly. I don't really care how we get the players, but we still need a stay-at-home RHD, a big winger to play with Bedard & Kurashev to win physical battles, and a #2C with D upside. If we get D in the draft, great. If we go outside the organization for the D, great. As long as we fill that need.

Decent depth/Rockford signing.
Serious question.....Can Colton Dach be the big forward to line up with Bedard & Kurashev? I believe he was on Rockford last season. Do you know how he's progressing?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Serious question.....Can Colton Dach be the big forward to line up with Bedard & Kurashev? I believe he was on Rockford last season. Do you know how he's progressing?
Not sure; I don't follow Rockford to much.

The question is: is he a Troy Brouwer, Byfuglien, or a 2013 Bickell? Or at least a reasonable facsimile?

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Not sure; I don't follow Rockford to much.

The question is: is he a Troy Brouwer, Byfuglien, or a 2013 Bickell? Or at least a reasonable facsimile?
Agreed....Why Scotty's kid traded 'Big Buff' after the 1st Cup is still a mystery to me. Until Kane scored the Cup winner, Big Buff led the Cup playoffs with 10 goals. Kane's winner tied Big Buff w/10 goals. He's big, he checked, the hardest hitter in the game, no one better in front of the net, toughest fighter, No. 1 Enforcer in the game, AND he was home grown! WTF was Scotty's kid ' thinking'? I know they were up against the cap, but I thought "no way you get rid of him'........boy was I mistaken. And imo so was Scotty's kid in a big way.

Also, Big buff at 265 completely dominanted the 220 lb. enforcer of the Flyers' Chris Pronger ....a great player, but probably had the biggest mouth in the league....Big Buff threw him around like a rag doll. Humbled that big mouth. And as the series progressed Pronger didn't say much, and when he, it was very low key. One of my favorite match-ups in Chicago sports history.
Bringing up Big Buff brought back the memories. Thanks.

Edit: Let me add Pronger was also condescending & smug, and thought his s#@t didn't stink. And probably was the No.1 enforcer....well, I mean until Big Buff came along. aaaaaaaaahhhhh.....glorious memories.:oprah:

Last edited:

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agreed....Why Scotty's kid traded 'Big Buff' after the 1st Cup is still a mystery to me. Until Kane scored the Cup winner, Big Buff led the Cup playoffs with 10 goals. Kane's winner tied Big Buff w/10 goals. He's big, he checked, the hardest hitter in the game, no one better in front of the net, toughest fighter, No. 1 Enforcer in the game, AND he was home grown! WTF was Scotty's kid ' thinking'? I know they were up against the cap, but I thought "no way you get rid of him'........boy was I mistaken. And imo so was Scotty's kid in a big way.

Also, Big buff at 265 completely dominanted the 220 lb. enforcer of the Flyers' Chris Pronger ....a great player, but probably had the biggest mouth in the league....Big Buff threw him around like a rag doll. Humbled that big mouth. And as the series progressed Pronger didn't say much, and when he, it was very low key. One of my favorite match-ups in Chicago sports history.

Edit: Let me add Pronger was also condescending & smug, and thought his s#@t didn't stink. And probably was the No.1 enforcer....well, I mean until Big Buff came along. aaaaaaaaahhhhh.....glorious memories.:oprah:
I don't disagree, but we need someone who can do the dirty work so Bedard and Kurashev don't have to.

If Dach the Younger can do it, cool. If not, we need to find someone who can... As well as play on the level that Bedard and Kurashev can.

Buff was Buff, but Brouwer and BICKELL also played the role nicely for Kane and Toews in 2010 and 2013.

Last edited:

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
I don't disagree, but we need someone who can do the dirty work so Bedard and Kurashev don't have to.

If Dach the Younger can do it, cool. If not, we need to find someone who can... As well as play on the level that Bedard and Kurashev can.

Buff was Buff, but Brouwer and Buckle also played the role nicely for Kane and Toews in 2010 and 2013.
yes...da Blackhawks need someone now! Agreed......they did draft a few big forwards in 2023, but obviously they won't be ready for a few years....2 at the very earliest, and that's pushing their development.

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins

Buff was Buff, but Brouwer and Buckle also played the role nicely for Kane and Toews in 2010 and 2013.
Do da Blackhawks have cap space to go after someone in FA?.....What about Taylor Hall? I know he's getting 'long in the tooth', but can he be that guy for another year or two, while others come up through the system?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Do da Blackhawks have cap space to go after someone in FA?.....What about Taylor Hall? I know he's getting 'long in the tooth', but can he be that guy for another year or two, while others come up through the system?
Right now we're sitting on ~33.7M of cap space; we could go after anyone.

The thing is, for a high-cap player it should be someone established, and someone who can grow with the current crop of 'hawks. We shouldn't be spending it willy-nilly.

Whether that is a FWD or a top-tier RHD stay-at-home D, is up to the market and Kyle from Chicago.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
This is going to be rigged more than the 1985 NBA Draft Lottery.

Edmonton wins in 6.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

The thing is, for a high-cap player it should be someone established, and someone who can grow with the current crop of 'hawks. We shouldn't be spending it willy-nilly.

Whether that is a FWD or a top-tier RHD stay-at-home D, is up to the market and Kyle from Chicago.
For me, we have the cap space like you say, but again we have soooo many young kids. If they progress appropriately we can't afford to lock anyone up for very long because we'll have to pay them all or lose them. So that leaves up back with the overpaid short term vet option which is fine, but I'd almost rather try to grow that role at this point and add it to the core then to try to patch it in. You can buy veteran leadership cheaper anyway if it's needed. I say overpay because we're still at the "overpay for any FA" position with this team until they make a turn.

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Thank you so much.....this is the best download since I've been on CCS......too bad so many of these highlights are Jets' and not Blackhawks....Scotty's kid was such a short-sighted guy.....I absolutely hated when he traded Big Buff.......Buff is a Hockey player who happens to be big & tough, NOT a big tough guy playing hockey.....

Side note: Funny to see Winnepeg's "throwbacks" from when they were in Atlanta......
Side note II: I owe you a beer for posting this.....lol...

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins

Right....Go after someone who will be just on their second contract....experienced and still young enough to grow with the team.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For me, we have the cap space like you say, but again we have soooo many young kids. If they progress appropriately we can't afford to lock anyone up for very long because we'll have to pay them all or lose them. So that leaves up back with the overpaid short term vet option which is fine, but I'd almost rather try to grow that role at this point and add it to the core then to try to patch it in. You can buy veteran leadership cheaper anyway if it's needed. I say overpay because we're still at the "overpay for any FA" position with this team until they make a turn.
The previous core was not all kids; and not all kids make it.

One thing Kyle from Chicago has to consider is what are the chances that a prospect who can fill a need does so, and how long will they take to fill that void vs. the costs of finding someone who has already been developed and can do it already--like say Brain Campbell. Patrick Sharp might be a better comparable in terms of age and development when he hit the 'hawks but I don't think anyone at the time saw him becoming as-good as he became, but even so Campbell filled a void that the 'hawks needed to fill and there weren't any players in the system at the time who could take his role even in the near future.

If we operate under the assumption that the 2 most pressing needs are size up front or a stay-at-home RHD, then right now we'd have to wager that we have someone in the system who can do those jobs at the NHL level and will develop in a reasonably short amount of time. The other side of that wager is seeing if there's someone extraneous in another team's roster who is already there and can help now--like a team with too many of one kind of player or a team which has to clear space.

I think at least one of those aforementioned "needs" is going to be addressed from outside the organization. We can weaponize the cap space to get short-term stopgap vets, of course. But, we can also weaponize it to get someone from a team who fills a void if they have to part ways with them.

Don't get me wrong, if we can grow the role I hope we do. But if we can fill that role NOW, why not?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Right....Go after someone who will be just on their second contract....experienced and still young enough to grow with the team.
Age is a factor. Sharp was traded for when he was like 25. Something like that would be ideal. Please don't go all Bowman with yearly rentals....at least not until they contend.