Official Blackhawks 2024 Offseason Thread-Bedard owns Chicago

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Looks like a contract eat by KD for a 2nd rounder....I like this kind of shit. Make use of that cap space while they still can.
Yep, if ever there was a year to do it, now is the time. Looks like it's fully gone through.

15% confirmed.

"In other words, the Hawks translated $4.04 million in cap space in each of the next two seasons (Mikheyev’s cap hit after the Canucks retained 15%) into first dibs at signing Lafferty and a substantial improvement of draft capital."

I'm not sure if the article or the tweet is wrong.

"In exchange for taking on overpaid forward Ilya Mihkeyev and his contract, the Hawks also acquired the rights to pending free-agent forward Sam Lafferty — a familiar face — and flipped a 2027 fourth-round draft pick for a 2027 second-round pick."

So we get 4.04M of dead weight, Rights to Lafferty who we know already and can be a solid bottom 6, and move from the fouth to the second in 2027?

Not a bad move while you have the space, other than the dead weight being 2 years. Only question is the 2nd round being in 2027 or 2025?

EDIT: it is a 27 flip. Also, I will say this is only a good deal if they actually sign Lafferty reasonably.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Also, not that I trust them much but they have been investing again since they got the contract.... final mock draft by ESPN has

2. Chicago Blackhawks

Artyom Levshunov, D, Michigan State University (NCAA)

This is where the intrigue begins.

The intel has me leaning toward Levshunov, but Ivan Demidov is the wild card. It doesn't seem like Chicago's brass know whom they are taking with certainty, either. The draft could fall much differently if the Blackhawks were to select the Russian forward instead of Levshunov -- which will be noted in the picks ahead that are affected.

If Chicago does take Levshunov, the Blackhawks are getting a high-floor, high-ceiling defenseman who possesses all the tools required to be a transition ace and offensive driver. He kills opposing plays, is active in the play on both sides of the puck and chips in offensively. He skyrockets to the top of the Blackhawks' prospect pool and almost surely has an inside track to a top-pairing role in the future.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
KD won't roll the dice on Demitov at #2....maybe at 18 but he has to hit at 2. They'll take the MSU kid

Washington

Liked Posts:
KD won't roll the dice on Demitov at #2....maybe at 18 but he has to hit at 2. They'll take the MSU kid

I am hoping they take Demidov to pair with Bedard. Seems like a can't miss to me and puts them in another Toews/Kane scenario.

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am hoping they take Demitov to pair with Bedard. Seems like a can't miss to me and puts them in another Toews/Kane scenario.
He's contracted to a Russian team for two years....with no guarantee he wants to leave the motherland. You don't risk a #2 pick on a
maybe.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
He's contracted to a Russian team for two years....with no guarantee he wants to leave the motherland. You don't risk a #2 pick on a
maybe.
I feel like the Sharks, who will hit no matter what with the number one pick, might have made the move yesterday to move up to #11 because they think he could still be available there. If you already have Celebrini under your bet it's a no brainer for me to take the swing for Demitov

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I feel like the Sharks, who will hit no matter what with the number one pick, might have made the move yesterday to move up to #11 because they think he could still be available there. If you already have Celebrini under your bet it's a no brainer for me to take the swing for Demitov

Whomst?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Heh, I was thinking the same about the #18 the Hawks traded for.....I mean even if he decides to make the move here, it's probably at least three years before he's playing in the NHL. He could drop significantly.

Washington

Liked Posts:
maybe.

He was in Florida for the pre-draft meetings and everything I read is that his goal is the NHL. He was asked about Bedard and knew a whole lot. I personally think he's the 2nd best talent in the draft but I do acknowledge the risk. The Hawks will probably take the safer pick but I believe they have better D talent in the system than forwards.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Heh, I was thinking the same about the #18 the Hawks traded for.....I mean even if he decides to make the move here, it's probably at least three years before he's playing in the NHL. He could drop significantly.
It's clear if we're taking deadweight contracts this year and next already, I think then they aren't expecting the true rebuild to flourish till then anyway.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Hope you're correct...and I'm with you as far as looking at it as a roll of the dice. I haven't done much research into him, but I have a hunch he is kind of a me first guy. The Belarusian seems to be total team playah. I'll take the team player anytime. Besides, RHDs are always needed and D players are much more valuable than a winger. Its not even close as far as value..imo. But whomever they pick, I'll jump on the bandwagon to start.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
It pretty much had to.

KD inherited a team which was in no real position to do a rebuild-in-situ. The team was also in a position where we had players which would keep the team in the "just missed the playoffs" regime which does nothing for building a winner--not good enough to make the playoffs but not bad enough to score good enough players in the draft who will be the de facto next gen--outside of luck of course. Not every draft has a Buff, Datsyuk, or Zetterberg.

So yeah, we had to clean house if we wanted to start pulling in the next gen. It sucks but I think it stopped us being mired in mediocrity.

LR was laying some foundation at least, compared to JC which had the teams playing worse than the sum of their parts.

There is going to have to be some refinement and some good choices on which prospects and which outside player acquisitions happen, and that will be on LR, but I think we have the start of something good here.

It's about time if you ask me.
Great take and I agree.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Also, not that I trust them much but they have been investing again since they got the contract.... final mock draft by ESPN has

2. Chicago Blackhawks

Artyom Levshunov, D, Michigan State University (NCAA)

This is where the intrigue begins.

The intel has me leaning toward Levshunov, but Ivan Demidov is the wild card. It doesn't seem like Chicago's brass know whom they are taking with certainty, either. The draft could fall much differently if the Blackhawks were to select the Russian forward instead of Levshunov -- which will be noted in the picks ahead that are affected.

If Chicago does take Levshunov, the Blackhawks are getting a high-floor, high-ceiling defenseman who possesses all the tools required to be a transition ace and offensive driver. He kills opposing plays, is active in the play on both sides of the puck and chips in offensively. He skyrockets to the top of the Blackhawks' prospect pool and almost surely has an inside track to a top-pairing role in the future.
From the little I've read on this draft, it's saying a very top heavy D-man draft. Obviously it will push down the forwards in the draft, so at #18, or a trade up, could likely give the Blackhawks one of the top forwards in this draft along w/the best D-man at #2.....Levshunov. That's my hope. I'm hoping Blackhawks draft at #18. or I should say somehow get with their 2nd 1st Rd pick, either Sennecke, Hage, Greentree or the Norwegian kid. My main reason is all are 6'1" or 6'2" and talented. Imo, Blackhawks need to get better size up front. But whomever they pick with their 2nd 1st Rder....I'll be on board to start.

Edit: There are 3 other forwards but I do not expect any of the 3 to get past #12 and 2 won't get out of the Top-10.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
I'm leaning towards the Norwegian kid....read he's a leader and very team oriented....if he's great on FOs....then go get him NOW.....there's too much "Toews" there to pass-up....imo....