Liked Posts:
Bedard with another goal today dude a killer

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well of course. I'm not trading down for probably anything other than swapping around draft picks and such.
I would say either a high pick this draft + (not just, hypothetically, 2 for 7, but more coming back), or we net an NHL-ready can't miss scoring power forward or a righty d-minded defenseman to play with Korch coming back.

But yeah, no trading for trade's sake.

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
I would say either a high pick this draft + (not just, hypothetically, 2 for 7, but more coming back), or we net an NHL-ready can't miss scoring power forward or a righty d-minded defenseman to play with Korch coming back.

I say keep 2, and trade up from 20 using it and a 2nd....but I trust in Davidson, as I do in Poles. Imo, You definitely are zeroed-in on the correct 2 biggest needs. Blackhawks have enough fast, but 'smaller' players.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't care if these kids playing forawrd are big or small, fast or slow....I'm looking for guys with skill. Guys that can handle and pass the puck. connect on 1-timers....shift directions without losing the puck in the process. To me if they can check those boxes plus be big and/or fast...that's just a bonus.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I say keep 2, and trade up from 20 using it and a 2nd....but I trust in Davidson, as I do in Poles. Imo, You definitely are zeroed-in on the correct 2 biggest needs. Blackhawks have enough fast, but 'smaller' players.
I'm not confident we could get a NHL-ready player with the 20th without throwing something useful in, but I've been wrong before. If KD could swing it more power to him.
I don't care if these kids playing forawrd are big or small, fast or slow....I'm looking for guys with skill. Guys that can handle and pass the puck. connect on 1-timers....shift directions without losing the puck in the process. To me if they can check those boxes plus be big and/or fast...that's just a bonus.
To a point, sure. Keep in mind Toews & Kane had guys like Brouwer, Buff, and Bickell to win board battles and do the dirty work; and Toews could do it if needed. Not to mention guys who could screen the goalie. Even a guy Shaw's size might not be big enough.

We do need some more skill guys--size or not because all we got now is Bedard and Chevy. We might have some in the prospect pool but at some point we're going to need some soldiers to play with the generals.

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
You're right with your assessment, however other teams have big guys with skills on the wings. If the Blackhawks don't get bigger skilled wingers they don't win in the corners, don't get the puck, don't have more scoring chances and eventually leads to not winning The Cup. I am sure you're aware of how the Blackhawks did vs. The Kings this past season, for example.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:

Exactly. Find the team that has enough capital to make it worth it and and unreasonable thirst for a particular player. A bit of a unicorn for sure but you never know until you explore.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Hawks move up in the draft from 20 up to 18 and from 54 up to 50

This is interesting, 61 seems steep for essentially moving up 2 in the first, the second is sort of a wash this draft. But they must have their eye on someone that this will put them right on the fringe of. I am a big fan of stockpiling draft picks to hit on as many good young players as you can, but they've had so many picks lately that they are going to have too many young kids to even pay enough proper attention to evaluating. So there is no real harm here it seems. I don't think you make this pick if these are the only picks you have , but with 7 picks in the first how ever many picks... 75? then you can get creative like this. Still have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and really the first 2 are the most important and you enhanced your chances there.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
This is interesting, 61 seems steep for essentially moving up 2 in the first, the second is sort of a wash this draft. But they must have their eye on someone that this will put them right on the fringe of. I am a big fan of stockpiling draft picks to hit on as many good young players as you can, but they've had so many picks lately that they are going to have too many young kids to even pay enough proper attention to evaluating. So there is no real harm here it seems. I don't think you make this pick if these are the only picks you have , but with 7 picks in the first how ever many picks... 75? then you can get creative like this. Still have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and really the first 2 are the most important and you enhanced your chances there.
yeah I thought the same thing with only moving up 2 spots. as long as it pans out then nobody will care lol But you do bring up a good point with almost getting too many young kids.

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
After this trade, I believe the Blackhawks have 6 of the first 72 picks. 2,18, 34, 50, 67 & 72.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not against moving up but the timing seems odd. Usually, teams wait aways into the draft to see who gets picked before trying to reposition for a certain player.

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
The question is who do they think is worth it that will be there at 18 that won't be at 20. Unless they are going to work on moving up from 18 now.
Imo they might use #s 18 & 50 to move up even further.....obviously for someone they really covet......they will still have pick #34....and as you mentioned in an earlier post, pretty sure it was you, can't have too many guys coming up for contracts in the same year so we can't keep all these picks. Plus, some young players will be traded for needed vets, when the time is needed. Two or three years from now?

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Not against moving up but the timing seems odd. Usually, teams wait aways into the draft to see who gets picked before trying to reposition for a certain player.
Totally agree...that's why I side with Havoc's suggesting it is to be in a better position come Draft Day to move up.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Imo they might use #s 18 & 50 to move up even further.....obviously for someone they really covet......they will still have pick #34....and as you mentioned in an earlier post, pretty sure it was you, can't have too many guys coming up for contracts in the same year so we can't keep all these picks. Plus, some young players will be traded for needed vets, when the time is needed. Two or three years from now?
Pretty intriguing move wonder if they’re targeting wing or defense. There is someone they like that much is obvious.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pretty intriguing move wonder if they’re targeting wing or defense. There is someone they like that much is obvious.
Gotta be a forward. They have dmen already in the chain plus I'm fairly certain they're gonna take the MSU kid rather than gamble on the Russian.

A thought just occurred to me...maybe they are putting a mega package together to go after Celebrini. I mean they need some skilled goal scorers, why not go after the big dog of the class?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Gotta be a forward. They have dmen already in the chain plus I'm fairly certain they're gonna take the MSU kid rather than gamble on the Russian.

A thought just occurred to me...maybe they are putting a mega package together to go after Celebrini. I mean they need some skilled goal scorers, why not go after the big dog of the class?
The only thing is that they don't have a ready-now RHD that can play the back end with Korch like Vlassic does for Jones. Acquiring that immediately puts the 'hawks far ahead of where they were last year since every other D-man iced for us was a #6 at best, and there is no one prospect yet who we have iced at the pro level who has proven that they can play in the top-4 against the best teams.

They DO need FWD help outside of Bedard and Kurashev (I'm not blind)--particularly some larger guys who can win the board battles, but the real question I think is whether or not they look for the larger FWDs and/or the Stay-at-home RHD within picks/prospects or do they look outside in the FA or trade markets. We need both, but even the previous core was built not just from prospects, but from guys acquired from elsewhere.

Celebrini would be nice, but I don't think he's avaliable.

San Jose has never had the 1st overall pick. The highest they've picked was #2oa: Faloon in '91 (only scored 20+G twice, probably comparable in my opinion to Vrbata), Zyuzin in '96 (Useless as a cock-flavored lollipop), Marleau in '97 (Home run pick). Celebrini--a player who by all rights should be excellent, has just fallen into their lap--unless Grier wants to be drawn and quartered by the fans, I doubt he gives up the 1oa pick unless we're sending him Bedard back, and if KD did that HE should be drawn and quartered.

I think if anything the 'hawks might use those picks not to make a move for Celebrni, but might look to get an actual NHL talent either at FWD--preferably someone with skill and boardwork, or that RHD, or barring that move up even more. Like you said we do have a good prospect system so getting an NHL-ready talent NOW to fill a major need might be on our plate. Plus, I do think there are a few teams out there with a surplus of young talent who they might be able to resign everyone, so them kicking the can down the road might be attractive to them (Buffalo comes to mind).

My $0.02; no refunds.

UChiLAbear

My Happy Place
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins

I think you're correct.....I've change my tune about taking the Ruskie and lean heavily towards the Belarusan going to MSU. Cup winner's, especially those with more than 1, has that great 2-Way D-man. Savard w/The Habs '76-79, Potvin w/The Isles '80-'83, Coffy w/The Oilers- 4 in 5 years, I forget which Russian for The Wings in the '90s - early 2000s, Keith - 3 in 6 seasons, Doughty (sp) w/ The Kings.....a team needs that 2-Way D-man to consistently sustain serious Cup chances. Plus a RHD is a top need.....a Forward w/the second 1st Rder...... time will tell.

Edit: How could I have not mentioned Bobby Orr? That's on me!,,,,,lol,,,

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The only thing is that they don't have a ready-now RHD that can play the back end with Korch like Vlassic does for Jones. Acquiring that immediately puts the 'hawks far ahead of where they were last year since every other D-man iced for us was a #6 at best, and there is no one prospect yet who we have iced at the pro level who has proven that they can play in the top-4 against the best teams.

They DO need FWD help outside of Bedard and Kurashev (I'm not blind)--particularly some larger guys who can win the board battles, but the real question I think is whether or not they look for the larger FWDs and/or the Stay-at-home RHD within picks/prospects or do they look outside in the FA or trade markets. We need both, but even the previous core was built not just from prospects, but from guys acquired from elsewhere.

Celebrini would be nice, but I don't think he's avaliable.

San Jose has never had the 1st overall pick. The highest they've picked was #2oa: Faloon in '91 (only scored 20+G twice, probably comparable in my opinion to Vrbata), Zyuzin in '96 (Useless as a cock-flavored lollipop), Marleau in '97 (Home run pick). Celebrini--a player who by all rights should be excellent, has just fallen into their lap--unless Grier wants to be drawn and quartered by the fans, I doubt he gives up the 1oa pick unless we're sending him Bedard back, and if KD did that HE should be drawn and quartered.

I think if anything the 'hawks might use those picks not to make a move for Celebrni, but might look to get an actual NHL talent either at FWD--preferably someone with skill and boardwork, or that RHD, or barring that move up even more. Like you said we do have a good prospect system so getting an NHL-ready talent NOW to fill a major need might be on our plate. Plus, I do think there are a few teams out there with a surplus of young talent who they might be able to resign everyone, so them kicking the can down the road might be attractive to them (Buffalo comes to mind).

My $0.02; no refunds.
Yeah idt sharks budge but this is time of year to speculate and hawks have the ammo for a move like that if sharks do want to entertain offers.