Official CCS Grillmasters thread

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Gonna grill some drumsticks on my dad's grill tonight.

Gonna grill out some Kielbasa(Polish sausage) tonight. It's gonna be a good night. :)

Kielbasa rules on the grill.

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Anybody ever cooked Hibachi chicken in a Wok? Just discovered how amazing that pan is.

R_Mac_1

Liked Posts:
My latest endeavor:

9.6 lb (yikes) Boston Butt, coated with a little mustard and rubbed with Oakridge chicken and pork rub.

IMAG0139.jpg

After 13 hours of cooking (9 on the smoker and 4 in the oven), I wrapped it in foil when it got to ~165* and then put it in the oven to save me some charcoal. I had already gone through about 15 lbs at that point.

IMAG0140.jpg

Here's when I started breaking it up:

IMAG0141.jpg

And after "pulling". I actually was tired and lazy at that point so I put it into my big mixer and used the dough hook to break it up. Drizzled some vinegar-based finishing sauce on her and it was goooooood.

IMAG0142.jpg

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Great stuff brett.

For beginners with steaks only ever flip a steak one time. Over higer heat 5 minutes a side is medium.

I grill/smoke exclusively on charcoal. Can't stand the taste off of gas grills.

I use Kingsford for grilling and lump charcoal from Lowe's for smoking.

Last edited:

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Drumsticks I cooked on my dad's grill. Sprinkled them with some garlic salt, black pepper and dried thyme, then basted on some Sweet Baby Ray's barbecue sauce.

GaelicSoxFan

Time Lord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Great stuff brett.

For beginners with steaks only ever flip a steak one time. Over higer heat 5 minutes a side is medium.

I grill/smoke exclusively on charcoal. Can't stand the taste off of gas grills.

I use Kingsford for grilling and lump charcoal from Lowe's for smoking.

I have to have a gas grill. I live in a condo and the Village of Midlothian won't allow charcoal grills on balconies for condos and apartments because of the fire hazard.

theCHI_Life84

Liked Posts:
gas grills do have a different flavor than the almighty charcoal but you cant deny the convenience sometimes...

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I agree, but I never heard of anyone saying the flavor is bad from a gas grill. It's no different then your oven really.

I wouldn't say it's bad, just not "as good" as charcoal is. As far as charcoal goes the natural lump stuff is far superior to briquettes IMO. If I'm in a huge hurry I'll use gas, but really prefer charcoal whenever possible. In other words the outdoor cooking hierarchy from best to worst looks like this for me:

1) Smoking
2) Natural lump
3) Briquettes
4) Gas

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I agree, but I never heard of anyone saying the flavor is bad from a gas grill. It's no different then your oven really.

In fairness I didn't say it was "bad". I just can't stand the taste of grilled meat that doesn't have charcoal/smoked falvor to it. Especially steaks, seeing as I don't ever season them.

derosabomb

Joecawks is a dope
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
i go natural gas because i use the grill at least 2 times a day. so much easier starting that up then a charcoal grill

but yeah natural charcoal is the way to go

theCHI_Life84

Liked Posts:
charcoal/smoking is ALWAYS the best when you have the time. but gas is fine if you want a steak for dinner when you get home from work. it doesnt taste bad, but it definitely lacks the character of a charcoal/smoked piece of meat.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
kingsford charcoal=the best

Kingsford burns really slow and even, I like it. But it doesn't produce as strong of a smoky flavor on the food as natural lump does, which I personally really like. People will come over and eat something as simple as burgers and be blown away by the flavor, e.g. "did you smoke these?".

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
And hell ya to the sticky!