***Official*** Chicago Bears Training Camp Thread!!! (Preamble to the Domination!) (FTO)

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

thenewguy

Liked Posts:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Is LeBlanc, #82, the next great white hope for a camp receiver? Will he be taking the place of Gentry, Sanzenbacher & other great white receivers??
Dennis Gentry wasn't white.

I'm sure you knew that though.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Interesting Bears connection with Kittle is that he was picked in the 5th round of the 2017 draft. The Bears could have had him but chose to draft TE Adam Shaheen in the 2nd round.

Just goes to show the importance of scouting and making key picks in later rounds. Most teams manage to do ok in the early rounds, but the really good teams find gems in the later rounds. Remember, Richard Dent was picked in the 8th round and you could argue the 85 Bears would not have been the same team without their defensive MVP..

So the real test of a GM, including Ryan Poles, will be whether he can jump ahead of the opposition by acing the draft in the mid and later rounds. Stay tuned... .
I mean, yeah. But of course. But there is a bit of survivorship bias going on here.

Real easy to point to the small sample size of late round guys that "made it" vs the countless others who are selling insurance or something because they couldn't stick on a roster.

napo55

Liked Posts:
I mean, yeah. But of course. But there is a bit of survivorship bias going on here.

Real easy to point to the small sample size of late round guys that "made it" vs the countless others who are selling insurance or something because they couldn't stick on a roster.
True, but the point is that teams that do strike gold in the mid to late rounds have a huge advantage. The cap hit is less, and a need that otherwise would have to be addressed with a high draft pick is freed up. Most importantly, the team is gifted with a great player.

One recent example is Puka Nacua of the Rams who was drafted in the 5th round and caught 105 passes for 1486 yards. So GMs who are able to translate late round picks into good, or great, players are rare but what every team wants.

Salvaged Ship

Liked Posts:

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

Absolutely to the bolded. It is awesome that Kittle ended up a stud for the 49ers as a 5th round draft pick - but you have so many draft picks for a reason. The odds of any one of them making it is low, and you hope that one of your day 3 picks ends up being a valuable role player.

The difference between a second round pick and a fifth (to keep the Shaheen-Kittle comparison) is a small amount of money relative to what you are shelling out to free agents to try and fill out the same spot.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Is LeBlanc, #82, the next great white hope for a camp receiver? Will he be taking the place of Gentry, Sanzenbacher & other great white receivers??
Whom? His name even translates to 'The White' so yah, LOL.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Absolutely to the bolded. It is awesome that Kittle ended up a stud for the 49ers as a 5th round draft pick - but you have so many draft picks for a reason. The odds of any one of them making it is low, and you hope that one of your day 3 picks ends up being a valuable role player.

The difference between a second round pick and a fifth (to keep the Shaheen-Kittle comparison) is a small amount of money relative to what you are shelling out to free agents to try and fill out the same spot.

Even for first round picks the bust rate is like 50%, and then the guys who aren't busts only a handful of them ever become elite. The rest are leonard floyd level players.

NFL draft is by far the most difficult. You can spend hours watching tape like a basement dwelling daniel and still have no clue if the guy will be good.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
i'm excited to see robinson show another year of nothing, kromah getting cut because he cant practice due to injury and nate davis sitting out with another undisclosed injury. just go out and sign a vet edge rusher...

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Even for first round picks the bust rate is like 50%, and then the guys who aren't busts only a handful of them ever become elite. The rest are leonard floyd level players.

NFL draft is by far the most difficult. You can spend hours watching tape like a basement dwelling daniel and still have no clue if the guy will be good.
Nfl draft is the most difficult in comparison to what? I'd say hit rates in mlb and nba draft are even lower