Official Cubs Game Thread!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Place e your thoughts here.

This team man. All these injuries and they just keep chugging. This is a deep team.

PCA with her first hit and it's a go ahead two run homer. Bright future for the Cubs ahead

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Place e your thoughts here.

This team man. All these injuries and they just keep chugging. This is a deep team.

PCA with her first hit and it's a go ahead two run homer. Bright future for the Cubs ahead
PCA is my GUY, not a her!!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Keep chugging, indeed.

4 losses with Hendricks starting, 4 blown saves, a blown 8-0 lead.......and still 16-9.

They have faced some good teams, even though some are not off to hot starts. (San Diego is star-studded but perpetually .500 or worse).

I recall hearing to brace ourselves for sub-.500 April due to schedule, and not to worry. With all the injuries, including 2 starters, and they're 16-9? I'll take it!

Go beat up on the Red Sox.

And thanks, @SilenceS for starting an actual game thread.

Last edited:

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
This team is fun...

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They should staple that line up (Wisdom at DH vs LHSP)

What has helped the most was Craig telling the kids that they are not here to compete for a gig. They are here to fill in for injury. That has reduced the pressure and allowed them to just play the game with out the anvil over their heads. Smart move by Craig.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The biggest disappointment I feel was Killian going down with a tres major injury to his throwing arm. That one sucks as I had rehab 10 years ago for that one. Still nags me if I'm not strengthening my upper back.

But what I have really liked was seeing Brown and Wesneski just flat out deal from the pen. Kilian also had that ability to flat overpower hitters.

You add Little to that late inning mix and the future looks pretty good going forward. I see Brown going back to the pen when Steele gets back. So we are talking 2 rehab starts away for Steele to just get him into the 5 day rotation.

But Steele did launch a pod cast and it is all right. But I do like hearing him talk about Cub stuff for a insider perspective. Think they are calling it Steele the show.

Last edited:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Wesneski gets the start as the Cubs send yet another starter, Wicks, to the IL.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Does ESPN broadcast Sunday night baseball on an alternate channel that shows the game instead of wall-to-wall interviews? This is like watching the fucking Tonight Show.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Taillon had a great outing. Nicely done.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Closers who walk guys are real annoying. The bullpen even as is wouldn't be bad if they had one reliable guy who can close. Having a guy like that would push everyone back a slot. Doesn't look like there's anything in Iowa.....maybe try Wesneski?

I do gotta say.....no closer, two best hitters on IL, three of the starters on IL including their #1 and two bullpen arms on IL....yet they are keeping their nose above water.

Pretty resilient group.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The problem with injury to the rotation has been pushing quality pen arms into starter roles.

Looking it over early even at 100% they will need to rent a high leverage lefty and a closer if no one steps up.

Little I see as the long term but he really needs to refine his command even if it means altering his delivery to promote more command.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Screw Iowa. Bring him up now.
Iowa wont challenge him, but the Cubs are cautious with him. He threw 78 pitches in his last outing. The most he has ever thrown. He has only been pitching for what 3 years? He probably come up this year, but the Cubs are going to slowly build him up and Im sure he is on an innings count.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Iowa wont challenge him, but the Cubs are cautious with him. He threw 78 pitches in his last outing. The most he has ever thrown. He has only been pitching for what 3 years? He probably come up this year, but the Cubs are going to slowly build him up and Im sure he is on an innings count.

I was feeling the same on this subject. It would take a major injury that takes out a core starter for the season to up his timeline.

Steele is projected to start the Padres series. Hendricks is also doing rehab work. So they have depth returning. Add to it Taillon is the guy that Jed paid for now. Shota is pitching at ace levels.

The rotation is not in a bad place right now. I expect Wesneski and Brown back in the pen with Steele and Hendricks returning.

They are beat up but the depth is far better in general where they can keep pushing this year

They have not even tapped Owen Caissie yet and I was expecting that to happen before any Horton talk

If they can get stability and quality starts when those 2 return. I actually would be ok seeing Wicks going into the pen to provide that needed left handed arm this year

I really am not worried about pecking order or this guy should be stuff. I am on board with Craig this year in utilizing the players to get wins. If Wicks comes back and upgrades the pen I am all in

Sept would be the expected time line for Horton if Craig feels that he can be a part of the post season plans. That is a likely outcome. And I doubt that he would be starting. Mid innings arm to get play off exposure.

Last edited:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Also, the trade deadline where Verlander could be a viable option without giving up a top 100. Cubs have plenty of depth in the minors and could probably get Houston to eat some salary. Trade deadline is a long ways away, but the Cubs are going to be active in pitching. I dont doubt that.