***Official*** Cuts and Practice Squad Thread

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Yeah I saw that too and thought it was strange that he never even bothered to report. People make a lot of stupid decisions until they've had to go a few years without a multi-million dollar annual salary and are trying to hold onto their houses.

I saw some interesting comments about Judon wearing out his welcome in NE before being traded as well. I will be very surprised if he remains a content high-performer in the ATL.
Maybe Poles dodged a bullet there??

All I can think of with Matthew Judon besides playing football for the Patriots is this :

1) when in his intro, he said "body by Taco Bell"
2) he looks like he could be Braxton Jones's twin

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I guess there are two threads now. It’s tough to scroll half way down the front page.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The cut down deadline today is 3:00 pm Central and waiver claims will be processed on Wednesday at 11:00 Central.

Should be an interesting couple of days…

The last 4 or 5 cuts should be tough ones which is great considering where the roster was a few years ago.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Projected eight hardest cuts…

“1. CB Reddy Steward​

The Bears have a loaded cornerback group, which means there are going to be some good players left on the outside looking in. Steward, an undrafted rookie, has had an impressive summer where he's showcased his ballhawking ability, including his two interceptions (with a pick-6) in Thursday's preseason finale. While I'd love to give Steward one of those final spots (and I'm hoping I got it wrong), I ultimately went with two proven veterans who are strong special teams contributors in Josh Blackwell and Jaylon Jones.

2. DE Daniel Hardy​

It's crazy how quickly things can change in the NFL. Just last week, Hardy felt like a lock for the 53-man roster given his impressive preseason and praise from defensive coordinator Eric Washington. But then the Bears traded for defensive end Darrell Taylor, who locks down one of the final roster spots. Hardy has been impressive throughout the preseason, including a 2.5-sack performance against the Bills, and he should be in contention for the final spot, even with Taylor on the roster. But listening to Matt Eberflus talk about Dominique Robinson in the edge rotation feels like Hardy just missed out on the roster.

3. WR Collin Johnson​

There was no player who boosted his stock more than Johnson in the Hall of Fame game, where he impressed as a big-bodied receiver who hauled in two touchdowns from Brett Rypien. Unfortunately for Johnson, the hype was short-lived as he's been sidelined by injury and unable to get back on the field to prove he's worthy of one of the final roster spots. The top four receiver spots are already locked down with DJ Moore, Keenan Allen, Rome Odunze and Tyler Scott, and it certainly feels like Velus Jones Jr. has earned a spot as a running back. Which means there's likely only one spot left at receiver. And given Johnson hasn't been able to stay on the field, DeAndre Carter gets the nod due to his punt return ability.

4. QB Austin Reed​

The "Hard Knocks" star and "Love Island" superfan has impressed this summer, but it was always going to be an uphill battle with Caleb Williams and Tyson Bagent atop the depth chart. Reed was competing with Brett Rypien for the QB3 job, and it certainly feels like Reed made a case to be that guy. He operated the offense efficiently and flashed his potential. But that still doesn't mean he'll make the roster. Depending on how many quarterbacks the Bears opt to carry on the roster, Reed could be primed for a spot on the practice squad. That is, if he clears waivers.

3ccf3d36253d340674af2e2796ad59b8.jpg
Aug 22, 2024; Kansas City, Missouri, USA; Chicago Bears quarterback Austin Reed (16) celebrates after a score against the Kansas City Chiefs during the second half at GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Denny Medley-USA TODAY SportsMore

5. LB Micah Baskerville​

The Bears have one of the league's best starting linebacker corps with Tremaine Edmunds, T.J. Edwards and Jack Sanborn, but it's the competition behind them that's been intriguing this summer. It feels like Noah Sewell could lock down one of those spots, even though he's been sidelined, but Amen Ogbongbemiga and Baskerville have been impressing this summer, which makes it difficult. Baskerville has had a strong preseason, including a pick-6 against the Bills. Still, it feels like the last spot will come down to Baskerville and Ogbongbemiga. I gave the edge to Ogbongbemiga, who is a big-time special teams contributor.

6. LB Carl Jones Jr.​

Chicago has a ton of depth at linebacker and only so many roster spots to go around. I believe the potential final two roster spots will come down to Sewell, Ogbongbemiga and Baskerville -- and there's a chance the Bears could carry six linebackers given the new kickoff rule. Unfortunately, that leaves Jones as the odd man out, which happens when there's so much depth at certain positions like linebacker. But the undrafted rookie has quietly had a strong preseason, which could certainly earn him a spot on the practice squad.

7. TE Brendan Bates​

The Bears top three tight ends are set with Cole Kmet, Gerald Everett and Marcedes Lewis, but Bates has certainly made things interesting with roster cutdowns looming. The undrafted rookie has made a case for a TE4 spot after his strong preseason, where he's the third highest-graded tight end of the preseason (85.8), per Pro Football Focus. He's proven to be a solid receiver and blocker, and he also brings special teams contributions to the table. Unfortunately, he just misses my cut as I elect to carry three tight ends and six running backs (including fullback Khari Blasingame). But that could easily change if Travis Homer is left off the roster.

8. OT Larry Borom​

Let's be honest, no one expected Borom to make the roster at the beginning of the summer. The former fifth-round pick has underperformed and didn't seem worth the $3.19 million price tag in the final year of his rookie deal. But when looking at how he's been utilized as the top reserve tackle -- and the lack of depth -- it certainly felt like he was going to make the cut. That is, until he suffered an injury and was carted off in Thursday's preseason finale. Now, it feels like Borom is headed for the waiver wire with an injury settlement.”

I would keep Bates over a traditional fullback.

I’d like to see Reddy on the 53 too.

Also, Hardy over Robinson…

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I think Jackson Carman is worth taking a flyer on.

Former 2nd round pick with good size/pedigree.

I haven't seen anything about us pursuing him, but I think we should.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I think Jackson Carman is worth taking a flyer on.

Former 2nd round pick with good size/pedigree.

I haven't seen anything about us pursuing him, but I think we should.
Who would you cut to carry him on the active roster?

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Projected eight hardest cuts…

“1. CB Reddy Steward​

The Bears have a loaded cornerback group, which means there are going to be some good players left on the outside looking in. Steward, an undrafted rookie, has had an impressive summer where he's showcased his ballhawking ability, including his two interceptions (with a pick-6) in Thursday's preseason finale. While I'd love to give Steward one of those final spots (and I'm hoping I got it wrong), I ultimately went with two proven veterans who are strong special teams contributors in Josh Blackwell and Jaylon Jones.

2. DE Daniel Hardy​

It's crazy how quickly things can change in the NFL. Just last week, Hardy felt like a lock for the 53-man roster given his impressive preseason and praise from defensive coordinator Eric Washington. But then the Bears traded for defensive end Darrell Taylor, who locks down one of the final roster spots. Hardy has been impressive throughout the preseason, including a 2.5-sack performance against the Bills, and he should be in contention for the final spot, even with Taylor on the roster. But listening to Matt Eberflus talk about Dominique Robinson in the edge rotation feels like Hardy just missed out on the roster.

3. WR Collin Johnson​

There was no player who boosted his stock more than Johnson in the Hall of Fame game, where he impressed as a big-bodied receiver who hauled in two touchdowns from Brett Rypien. Unfortunately for Johnson, the hype was short-lived as he's been sidelined by injury and unable to get back on the field to prove he's worthy of one of the final roster spots. The top four receiver spots are already locked down with DJ Moore, Keenan Allen, Rome Odunze and Tyler Scott, and it certainly feels like Velus Jones Jr. has earned a spot as a running back. Which means there's likely only one spot left at receiver. And given Johnson hasn't been able to stay on the field, DeAndre Carter gets the nod due to his punt return ability.

4. QB Austin Reed​

The "Hard Knocks" star and "Love Island" superfan has impressed this summer, but it was always going to be an uphill battle with Caleb Williams and Tyson Bagent atop the depth chart. Reed was competing with Brett Rypien for the QB3 job, and it certainly feels like Reed made a case to be that guy. He operated the offense efficiently and flashed his potential. But that still doesn't mean he'll make the roster. Depending on how many quarterbacks the Bears opt to carry on the roster, Reed could be primed for a spot on the practice squad. That is, if he clears waivers.

View attachment 40079
Aug 22, 2024; Kansas City, Missouri, USA; Chicago Bears quarterback Austin Reed (16) celebrates after a score against the Kansas City Chiefs during the second half at GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Denny Medley-USA TODAY SportsMore

5. LB Micah Baskerville​

The Bears have one of the league's best starting linebacker corps with Tremaine Edmunds, T.J. Edwards and Jack Sanborn, but it's the competition behind them that's been intriguing this summer. It feels like Noah Sewell could lock down one of those spots, even though he's been sidelined, but Amen Ogbongbemiga and Baskerville have been impressing this summer, which makes it difficult. Baskerville has had a strong preseason, including a pick-6 against the Bills. Still, it feels like the last spot will come down to Baskerville and Ogbongbemiga. I gave the edge to Ogbongbemiga, who is a big-time special teams contributor.

6. LB Carl Jones Jr.​

Chicago has a ton of depth at linebacker and only so many roster spots to go around. I believe the potential final two roster spots will come down to Sewell, Ogbongbemiga and Baskerville -- and there's a chance the Bears could carry six linebackers given the new kickoff rule. Unfortunately, that leaves Jones as the odd man out, which happens when there's so much depth at certain positions like linebacker. But the undrafted rookie has quietly had a strong preseason, which could certainly earn him a spot on the practice squad.

7. TE Brendan Bates​

The Bears top three tight ends are set with Cole Kmet, Gerald Everett and Marcedes Lewis, but Bates has certainly made things interesting with roster cutdowns looming. The undrafted rookie has made a case for a TE4 spot after his strong preseason, where he's the third highest-graded tight end of the preseason (85.8), per Pro Football Focus. He's proven to be a solid receiver and blocker, and he also brings special teams contributions to the table. Unfortunately, he just misses my cut as I elect to carry three tight ends and six running backs (including fullback Khari Blasingame). But that could easily change if Travis Homer is left off the roster.

8. OT Larry Borom​

Let's be honest, no one expected Borom to make the roster at the beginning of the summer. The former fifth-round pick has underperformed and didn't seem worth the $3.19 million price tag in the final year of his rookie deal. But when looking at how he's been utilized as the top reserve tackle -- and the lack of depth -- it certainly felt like he was going to make the cut. That is, until he suffered an injury and was carted off in Thursday's preseason finale. Now, it feels like Borom is headed for the waiver wire with an injury settlement.”

I would keep Bates over a traditional fullback.

I’d like to see Reddy on the 53 too.

Also, Hardy over Robinson…
Not that the players listed are world beaters, but in years past these guys easily make the roster. The fact that they are being talked about as cuts shows how far the overall roster has come.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Not that the players listed are world beaters, but in years past these guys easily make the roster. The fact that they are being talked about as cuts shows how far the overall roster has come.
I agree and hopefully this process gets tougher every year.