Official Epstein Thread (Epstein baseball side prez/Hoyer is GM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Red Sox have been competitive & bring guys up from their system & fill out the rest.

Ellsbury
Pedroia
Papelbon
Youkilis
Lowrie
Lester
Buchholz
Bard

Pretty damn impressive.

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
Better history? The Sox didn't win for 86 years. Lol

Better fans? Boston fans are obnoxious pricks. Negative. Lol

But they have won recently ;)

And I know but they are always there, and always drunk :nelson:

Rick

Liked Posts:
If Epstein gets hired by the Cubs, he'll be viewed as "the savior" in a similar way that Jay Cutler was when he was first acquired by the Bears.

People will get their hopes up and then when the Cubs lose 90+ games again in 2012, they'll say he's garbage.

Whatever the Cubs do, I'll remain neutral until I see results.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Epstein gets hired by the Cubs, he'll be viewed as "the savior" in a similar way that Jay Cutler was when he was first acquired by the Bears.

People will get their hopes up and then when the Cubs lose 90+ games again in 2012, they'll say he's garbage.

Whatever the Cubs do, I'll remain neutral until I see results.

It's how sports fans work. They take a narrow set of data and then make broad sweeping conclusions based on it or take a media guy's opinion as their own. It's almost to be expected.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I keep hearing he wants to stay with BOS so new GM dont get stuck with some of those contracts in BOS

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty sure he'll stay put since they already basically named Francona the scapegoat for the collapse.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty sure he'll stay put since they already basically named Francona the scapegoat for the collapse.

I wouldn't rule it out that Epstein comes to Chicago, but I have a hard time envision it for myself.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Friedman + Francona :fap:

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
If it came down to Francona or Epstein, I'd want Epstein. Not likely to happen, but having Francona as a "consolation prize" is a hell of a win.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Joelsherman1
Joel Sherman I am shocked, but in last 36 hrs every exec talk to says believe #Redsox will give permssion and Theo will go to #Cubs to be GM

Ricketts not happy now :p

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
i thought we were going to land a pretty high caliber GM(alot available, plus the big market in chicago is attractive) but if we do get epstein, i'm (happily) surprised

he's done a real great job with the sox

question can he repeat the same kind of magic with the cubs(a little bit different situation arguably boston had 93 wins the previous season when epstein came in with a good nucleus in martinez,garciaparra,ramirez, and damon..but the 07 WS team does exemplify a conglomeration of Epstein's successes )

i think the big thing that was noted is that epstein can bring in high caliber free agents, makes good trades, AND can utilize the farm system

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
Report: Epstein might be headed to Cubs

Posted on: October 1, 2011 3:41 pm
Edited on: October 1, 2011 3:44 pm
Score: 155
Log-in to rate:
Log-in to rate:
By Matt Snyder

After an epic collapse cost the Red Sox the playoffs, manager Terry Francona is out the door. Is it possible general manager Theo Epstein follows? Speculation and reports have mostly pointed to Epstein being highly coveted by Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts, but that Epstein would still likely stay in Boston.

Of course, it's possible things have changed after the historic futility in September. Maybe Epstein would be open to a change of scenery, much like Francona. He does have one year left on his contract, so he'd need permission from the ownership to interview with anyone. And, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, Epstein is going to get that:

"I am shocked," Sherman tweets. "But in last 36 hrs every exec talk to says believe #Redsox will give permssion and Theo will go to #Cubs to be GM."

So, to those who don't understand Twitter speak, the basic summary is that Sherman has heard the Red Sox will allow Epstein to talk to the Cubs, and that Epstein is going to be the Cubs next GM. Not that he will simply listen to an offer, but that Epstein will take an offer and go to Chicago.

Now, even if Sherman is correct, this isn't a done deal yet. Epstein would still have to interview with the Cubs and both sides would have to leave the interview impressed. From there a contract would have to be agreed upon.

Considering the resources and history, the job would be similar to what Epstein took over in 2002 with the Red Sox in many ways, with two glaring exceptions. First of all, those Red Sox were a lot closer to winning a championship than the current Cubs are. On the other hand, Epstein had to deal with the big-spending Yankees in the AL East. In the NL Central, a good Cubs team has the ability to dwarf the rest of the division in the payroll department.

Would Epstein's ties to the Boston area -- he grew up in New England and attended Yale University -- be trumped by him seeking a new challenge or departure from the exceedingly high expectations in Boston now? Time will tell, but this is certainly a situation worth monitoring.

For more baseball news, rumors and analysis, follow @EyeOnBaseball on Twitter or subscribe to the RSS feed.

Community - CBSSports.com

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
francona and epstein in a package deal?

hard to not be happy about that...

at the very least, its a big improvement from hendry and quade

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they get both of them Ricketts will have to spend some money to win now and later

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
But if Theo comes here he needs to go back to what worked for them pitching and farm system. The last few years he has become like the Yankees just throwing money around poorly. the Crawford deal the Dice K deal and the Lackey deal. If he goes back to what got him his 2 WS I will welcome him but please dont just throw money at FA and expect to win. Dont neglect the farm system and dont overspend if we cant afford the player to bust like we have done in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.