Official Epstein Thread (Epstein baseball side prez/Hoyer is GM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dear God, if we get *Brian* Epstein, I will be the happiest person alive. He is probably the best all-around GM in baseball.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
But if Theo comes here he needs to go back to what worked for them pitching and farm system. The last few years he has become like the Yankees just throwing money around poorly. the Crawford deal the Dice K deal and the Lackey deal. If he goes back to what got him his 2 WS I will welcome him but please dont just throw money at FA and expect to win. Dont neglect the farm system and dont overspend if we cant afford the player to bust like we have done in the past.

this is my concern as well

i wonder how his philosophy will correspond to a different situation and enviroment which the cubs are enduring right now

in other words, i cant be sure as to think that what epstein has done in the last couple of years will directly translate to what he will do with the cubs

alot of what epstein did to help the sox win 2 WS is why i particulary like him

and i also think how him going after high caliber FAs as well as making some questionable investments emphasizes an important point

regardless of the market(yes even the yankees), you have to be cautious in making high profile or even lower profile investments in current player contracts or in free agency, as well as also not straying from having a foundation pitching wise and in the farm system

both free agents and the farm system both have high variability in terms of investing in players

but i think its nearly indisputable what has the higher risk in monetary terms

and of course the GM deals with the money and players from a principle standpoint, and not in pragmatics

which means that epstein shouldnt get all the blame for the poor result of the players(especially crawford, who was great the previous couple of years)...at the same time he did have alot of say in the decision to get those players

i also think some of his recent decisions were slightly based upon pressure from the yankees and trying to,in a way, imitate what they were doing...which is,also already said, very high risk

the yankees have alot of "insurance"..therefore there is room for error because if they get one dud they probably bring another FA that works well...but that doesnt make the philosophy any more valid

but overall in relative to other GMs, Epstein is still one of the best in the business

Last edited:

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
this is my concern as well

i wonder how his philosophy will correspond to a different situation and enviroment which the cubs are enduring right now

in other words, i cant be sure as to think that what epstein has done in the last couple of years will directly translate to what he will do with the cubs

alot of what epstein did to help the sox win 2 WS is why i particulary like him

and i also think how him going after high caliber FAs as well as making some questionable investments emphasizes an important point

regardless of the market(yes even the yankees), you have to be cautious in making high profile or even lower profile investments in current player contracts or in free agency, as well as also not straying from having a foundation pitching wise and in the farm system

both free agents and the farm system both have high variability in terms of investing in players

but i think its nearly indisputable what has the higher risk in monetary terms

and of course the GM deals with the money and players from a principle standpoint, and not in pragmatics

which means that epstein shouldnt get all the blame for the poor result of the players(especially crawford, who was great the previous couple of years)...at the same time he did have alot of say in the decision to get those players
Ya If he went back to his old ways I would love him as the GM and he would be the ideal choice.

I wouldn't of paid Crawford like they did they already had a Crawford type player in Ellisbury. I mean they way over paid for him even if he produced like he normally does that contract is bad IMO.

Also with Lackey I dont know what happen to the guy he total blew up. I just think if you invest money in pitching via the farm system or trades that is the smart way to go. Look at Matt Moore last night the Rays have such good pitching they didn't even have to overpay or just pay Matt Garza and they got great value for him. I just think a great GM need to know when to let go of a player and the Angles did that with Lackey. With the 6 year until free agency rule you can really get good cheap pitching if you can develop your pitchers. And you never need to pay them really I just hope we are active getting young cheap pitching just like Kevin Towers was last year in ARZ. They went from almost dead last I believe drafting 5th to the playoffs.

Northside_slugger

Liked Posts:
New York Post: Epstein to Cubs

I realize there is a speculation thread, but i feel like this needs it's own thread. Let the good times roll.

I am shocked, but in last 36 hrs every exec talk to says believe #Redsox will give permssion and Theo will go to #Cubs to be GM

Link- Twitter

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Dewey, u mad?

:smug:

Just :troll:ing, Dews.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wonder how fast all of this will happen if it is indeed going to go down.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
@pgammo
Peter Gammons Is Epstein interested in Cubs? Sure. What Henry does to keep him @ co-CEO, makes Cherington GM and go forward remains to be seen.

MattSpiegel670
Matt Spiegel Gammons suggests Cubs possibly used as leverage, with Theo going upstairs. What Theo wants, Gammons often says.

interesting

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
gammons1.jpg

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah Gammons doesn't want him to leave Boston, so he'll say anything.

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
If ricketts can pull this off...id be more than happy to shake his hands,cause this will be the best move he has made since he bought the cubs.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
If ricketts can pull this off...id be more than happy to shake his hands,cause this will be the best move he has made since he bought the cubs.

i agree..i told my wife i dont think i could ever shake his hands but if he gets Theo he would earn my respect

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tell me when it's officially official.

85Bears4life

Bears Hall Of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
i agree..i told my wife i dont think i could ever shake his hands but if he gets Theo he would earn my respect

what if(big what if) theo and ricketts wins a World Title...be willing tio shake his hands then? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.