Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
?

https://streamable.com/rukeq

Holy shit. I can't wait to see what Nagy does with him. I'd get on the OROY hype train now, but I don't think he will get enough touches to contend for that.

Apologies if this clip was already posted, didn't see it, but it's probably buried in one of the training camp threads.

CBEARS32

Liked Posts:
?

Holy shit. I can't wait to see what Nagy does with him. I'd get on the OROY hype train now, but I don't think he will get enough touches to contend for that.

Apologies if this clip was already posted, didn't see it, but it's probably buried in one of the training camp threads.
Kid definitely looks like he can ball! He is shifty but runs with power that's for sure.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I was a firm against on him as a pick, but am coming around a bit. Interested to see him once it gets real. Hopefully I was completely off base.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
?

I though his best attribute was making the first guy miss?

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
First guy rarely brings him down.
Lots of ESPN highlights coming.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Good to see him fight until he hits the dirt. That's the attitude that you want to see in a new teammate.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's cool in practice to power thru tackles like that, but don't do it in real games, David. Someone is going to come by and strip the ball or you'll get stood up and someone will take your knees out.

I appreciate the effort and tough guy power, but let's save it for the goal line.

are you suggesting he just goes down with contact?

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
are you suggesting he just goes down with contact?

I'm suggesting situational awareness.

Just pointing out there is a fine line between fighting for that meaningless extra yard and getting the ball stripped or getting injured.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm suggesting situational awareness.

Just pointing out there is a fine line between fighting for that meaningless extra yard and getting the ball stripped or getting injured.

I don't really know what this means....we don't want a RB to fight for yards?

Canth

Liked Posts:
I believe that Helfrich and Nagy both said yesterday that they were simulating specific scnenarios with the live tackling drills. I thought they said it was goal line and then a 4 min offense to close out a game. Helfrich went on to say that one of Montgomery's big highlights, probably that one, would have been the play that ended the game and that it did end the drill because the offense 'won' that simulation. So, in that context and imo, Montgomery is doing what you want in that scenario.

But I do agree that you need to be careful about taking that mindset everywhere and every play. No one wants to see a runningback go down easily, but they do need to protect themselves from injury and turnovers especially if their forward momentum is pretty clearly stopped.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't really know what this means....we don't want a RB to fight for yards?

It means I don't want him to cost us turnovers or get his knees blownout in week 2.

What worked for him in college, might not go so well in the NFL. I could see him getting over zealous fighting for yards when the situation doesn't call for it. Trying to prove himself.

If you're in a goal line situation - sure. If you've ran past the sticks for a first, it's not necessary.

That's all I'm saying.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Lot of Trubisky picks seem to be in the end zone. So maybe Monty can take up some of the slack and pound em in. Regardless, the nice thing about RBs is unlike other rookie positions you can tell right away if that player is good or not. Monty looks like he belongs. Not going to say OROY without seeing some game action. But I think we’ve seen/heard enough good stuff to know he won’t totally bust out.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I believe that Helfrich and Nagy both said yesterday that they were simulating specific scnenarios with the live tackling drills. I thought they said it was goal line and then a 4 min offense to close out a game. Helfrich went on to say that one of Montgomery's big highlights, probably that one, would have been the play that ended the game and that it did end the drill because the offense 'won' that simulation. So, in that context and imo, Montgomery is doing what you want in that scenario.

But I do agree that you need to be careful about taking that mindset everywhere and every play. No one wants to see a runningback go down easily, but they do need to protect themselves from injury and turnovers especially if their forward momentum is pretty clearly stopped.
I think that his play that ended the play was a TD run. It was a much shorter run and he basically was untouched.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
?

Yeah, when he was drafted I compared him to another #beefback Marshall Faulk. I was laughed at and mocked... not for much longer though. Montenegro is the TRUTH.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Lot of Trubisky picks seem to be in the end zone. So maybe Monty can take up some of the slack and pound em in. Regardless, the nice thing about RBs is unlike other rookie positions you can tell right away if that player is good or not. Monty looks like he belongs. Not going to say OROY without seeing some game action. But I think we’ve seen/heard enough good stuff to know he won’t totally bust out.
Yea I don’t think he’ll play enough to warrant OROY. Murray will probably cover that.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So what you're saying is you want a power back to turn into creampuff Tarik Cohen, running out of bounds for everything? Okay then.