***OFFICIAL*** Montgomery is gonna be a beast

Bort

Liked Posts:
I'm suggesting situational awareness.

Just pointing out there is a fine line between fighting for that meaningless extra yard and getting the ball stripped or getting injured.

He ran like that every on single carry in college and had only 3 fumbles over 3 seasons on 624 total attempts. I think he'll be fine.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He ran like that every on single carry in college and had only 3 fumbles over 3 seasons on 624 total attempts. I think he'll be fine.

I appreciate that, I really do. But the NFL is a different animal. I'll go ahead and assume stripping and "peanut punching" is more developed at the pro level than college.

And his three fumbles in college isn't going to help his knees from getting demolished in the NFL.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I am just hoping Ryan Pace gets a better pick for Cohen than he did for Howard.

See here is the weird thing about RBs in the NFL right now. Franchises are refusing to pay the stupid money that every down backs are demanding, and deservedly so since they're accumulating a ton of wear and tear on their bodies. Making it way less likely that franchises see the complete return on investment on that big 2nd contract.

Except there are some backs like Tarik Cohen that aren't contact runners and aren't accumulating wear and tear so someone like Tarik is very likely to see a 2nd contract.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
He won't be facing the same defenders.
Fighting for extra yardage is good.
Staying upright, with no hope of more yardage, risking a turnover is bad.

Just be smart. I am confident he will be.
Truth. Fighting for extra yards in all situations is just not smart football. These are not college defenders. You do that, and not only will you have more fumbles, but your career will likely be cut short as well.

I don't think he or Nagy are that dumb, so we'll be ok...

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good to see him fight until he hits the dirt. That's the attitude that you want to see in a new teammate.
until they fumble because of it, half the teams in this league are happy to hold up the over zealous while 2 more arrive to strip you or wreck you.

Backs in this league learn to go down of necessity, its a smart football move AND a business decision.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Truth. Fighting for extra yards in all situations is just not smart football. These are not college defenders. You do that, and not only will you have more fumbles, but your career will likely be cut short as well.

I don't think he or Nagy are that dumb, so we'll be ok...
beat me to it by half an hour...same wave

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So what you're saying is you want a power back to turn into creampuff Tarik Cohen, running out of bounds for everything? Okay then.

Sometimes, discretion is the better part of valor. Live to fight another day and all....

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
While we are warning about our RB about useless yards, someone tell him to make sure he puts a bathmat down so he doesn't slip coming out of the shower and risk injury.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trying to decide if our RB go down after gaining 12 yards or fight for 4 more. Nice problem to have after watching Howard being dropped by arm tackles.

Another thing about Coward Howard... he was afraid to run between the tackles. Monty id the opposite of that.

#BEEFBACK

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
From another thread...

DM will be a stud. People afraid of split carries need to look at last year. Despite Howard's predictability and ineffectiveness, Nagy fed him the ball...a LOT.

+ DM was the only NCAA player to break 100 tackles in a season in the last 5 years! (DM did it TWICE). Dude will ball out.

And his combine measurable are spot on with Kareem Hunt's, if that matters to anyone. KM has an okay rookie year IIRC.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is good stuff coming from the guy who is freaking out about camp interceptions. Are you sure that you can be taken seriously?

And Howard was useless, besides his pass blocking.

He was hell bent on wanting to know who's fault a botched hand off was the 2nd day of TC...

:speechless:

Visionman

Liked Posts:
From another thread...

DM will be a stud. People afraid of split carries need to look at last year. Despite Howard's predictability and ineffectiveness, Nagy fed him the ball...a LOT.

+ DM was the only NCAA player to break 100 tackles in a season in the last 5 years! (DM did it TWICE). Dude will ball out.

And his combine measurable are spot on with Kareem Hunt's, if that matters to anyone. KM has an okay rookie year IIRC.
Nagy fed Howard the ball last year because we had no one else to carry it. Are you going to hand it off to Cohen 20 times a game? Mizzell? A rookie Nall?

This year he has Monty, but also Davis. CP is going to get some carries. Nall very well may too. It is a very different situation than last year...

BearClaw55

GO BEARS
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy fed Howard the ball last year because we had no one else to carry it. Are you going to hand it off to Cohen 20 times a game? Mizzell? A rookie Nall?

This year he has Monty, but also Davis. CP is going to get some carries. Nall very well may too. It is a very different situation than last year...

Nall will not be on the 53 man roster

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
David is quick, great jukes and power but doesnt have top end speed. He is however, .004 seconds faster in the 40 than Walter, and he was pretty good.

Well, I don’t think he the next Walter Payton, either. I am not unhappy about the pick. None of the press, that I have read or heard or seen, has mentioned speed being an issue. I guess I need to see it for myself before believing he is much of an upgrade over Howard. And I hope I am wrong and very well may be. Imagine if he can be as productive as Forte or something close.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Lol Nall wtf

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
Well, I don’t think he the next Walter Payton, either. I am not unhappy about the pick. None of the press, that I have read or heard or seen, has mentioned speed being an issue. I guess I need to see it for myself before believing he is much of an upgrade over Howard. And I hope I am wrong and very well may be. Imagine if he can be as productive as Forte or something close.
David broke more tackles in that run than Howard did in 4 games. Lets check back after his first couple of series.