***OFFICIAL*** Montgomery is gonna be a beast

napo55

Liked Posts:
RB
David broke more tackles in that run than Howard did in 4 games. Lets check back after his first couple of series.
But he averaged 4.7 ypc which is not very good for a premier college back. Can we ascribe it to a bad O line at Iowa State? Or is it related to lack of speed? We shall see...

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
RB

But he averaged 4.7 ypc which is not very good for a premier college back. Can we ascribe it to a bad O line at Iowa State? Or is it related to lack of speed? We shall see...
I don't know anything about Iowa State, so just throwing out another possibility. Did most of the offense run through him? If so that ypc would make sense if everyone was keying in on him, and he was producing regardless. Maybe someone who watched a lot of his college games will chime in...

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think some were knocking Forte's college avg as well. All i know, is the he looks the part and very good every time I look at clips and such.

So far so good for Montgomery

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't know anything about Iowa State, so just throwing out another possibility. Did most of the offense run through him? If so that ypc would make sense if everyone was keying in on him, and he was producing regardless. Maybe someone who watched a lot of his college games will chime in...
Yes, the offense ran through him. They had him and Hakeem Butler at WR. Those were about their only two playmakers the past two years. Iowa State's OL is pretty bad. Montgomery was constantly being his in the back field and he would also somehow turn it into a 3-4 yard gain.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yes, the offense ran through him. They had him and Hakeem Butler at WR. Those were about their only two playmakers the past two years. Iowa State's OL is pretty bad. Montgomery was constantly being his in the back field and he would also somehow turn it into a 3-4 yard game.
Awesome, thanks

Spankypants

Liked Posts:

A quote from the PFF site:
"...the blocking in front of him was little short of disastrous. There wasn’t an offensive lineman at Iowa State that ranked higher than 114th in the nation at their respective positions when it came to run-blocking."
He routinely had to shake off the first tackler in the backfield before gaining positive yardage.
David-Montgomery-MT-record-1024x576.jpg

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Trying to decide if our RB go down after gaining 12 yards or fight for 4 more. Nice problem to have after watching Howard being dropped by arm tackles.
I get the point about fumbling while getting that extra yard, but don't change his running style. It's how he is and it'll mess with his head more if he's trying to change the way he plays.

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
When he actually gets holes behind the Bears' line he'll be fun to watch hitting the second level with a head of steam. He has the ability to juke and make guys miss or through them, I believe he's gonna make some Packers look really foolish.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Trying to decide if our RB go down after gaining 12 yards or fight for 4 more. Nice problem to have after watching Howard being dropped by arm tackles.
Who the fuck you been watching the last 3 seasons? Being dropped by arm tackles was never Howard's problem.

marothisu

Liked Posts:

I'm an Iowa State alum/fan. A lot of the offense ran through David Montgomery or at least the threat of him because he could both run and catch in the back field. There were very, very good WR on the team (like Hakeem Butler currently on the Cardinals) which was of course opened up because of Montgomery. The last 2 seasons were marked by 1.5 seasons of mediocre at best QBs (one who was a 3rd stringer who surprisingly beat Oklahoma) and while there were good WRs, they weren't as much of a threat to defenses in their scouting report because the QBs weren't that good. The only true WR threat was Hakeem Butler. That is until halfway through the last season a freshman who was recruited by Alabama started to play and finished the season 7-2 for ISU and opened up the passing game way more.

Needless to say, Montgomery was a major part of every single team's scouting report as he was known for being such a good RB that could both run and catch, even after a better QB started playing.

If you objectively watch a lot of game footage, you'll see that the defenses routinely got past ISU's offensive line and it's well known the OL sucked, especially last season. The fact that Montgomery was able to do what he did is a testament to him. The OL rarely actually helped him. If he was not good at balance, breaking tackles, etc there's no way he would have left early let alone be drafted. He does not have breakaway speed, but can get good yardage. The guy is a workhorse who works his ass off so rest assured, I guarantee he's working on getting faster. He worked out so much at the ISU practice facility, even at early morning hours alone, that the ISU staff literally tried to lock him out of the building and he still got in.

https://www.stack.com/a/why-david-montgomery-runs-so-hard

By mid-season his freshman year, Montgomery had snatched a starting spot. In his second career start, he unleashed for 169 yards in a win over Kansas. Two weeks later, he went off for 141 yards in the season finale against West Virginia. By January, he was one of the most respected members of the team. Montgomery put in so much extra work Campbell often locked the facility in a futile attempt to keep him rested.

"I found a way in. Can't stay away from the grind," Montgomery says."I'd come in late (at) night just because one, I wasn't really a party guy. I didn't go with the hype. I was OK with doing things by myself and standing alone to do things that I needed to do to improve myself."

Often training into the wee hours of the morning, he utilized cone drills to sharpen his cuts, caught tennis balls to improve hand-eye coordination, and pulled sleds to enhance his bullish power. He became a film room junkie, religiously visiting the facility after a game or practice to analyze his own performance and get a jump on what's next. "Four or five years ago, I was watching film of me—it was more like highlights. I wasn't really paying attention to what I wasn't doing well. I grew a fine understanding that I had to pay attention to the things I (wasn't) doing well, because those matter more," Montgomery says. Over time, teammates began following his lead. The culture of a program who'd seen just one winning season since 2005 started to shift.

Last edited:

Bearsgonewild

Liked Posts:
A quote from the PFF site:
"...the blocking in front of him was little short of disastrous. There wasn’t an offensive lineman at Iowa State that ranked higher than 114th in the nation at their respective positions when it came to run-blocking."
He routinely had to shake off the first tackler in the backfield before gaining positive yardage.
View attachment 2354
Hope this prepared him for awesomeness, developed skills he needed, made him better. Lemonade out of lemons. Wax on. Wax off.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm an Iowa State alum/fan. A lot of the offense ran through David Montgomery or at least the threat of him because he could both run and catch in the back field. There were very, very good WR on the team (like Hakeem Butler currently on the Cardinals) which was of course opened up because of Montgomery. The last 2 seasons were marked by 1.5 seasons of mediocre at best QBs (one who was a 3rd stringer who surprisingly beat Oklahoma) and while there were good WRs, they weren't as much of a threat to defenses in their scouting report because the QBs weren't that good. The only true WR threat was Hakeem Butler. That is until halfway through the last season a freshman who was recruited by Alabama started to play and finished the season 7-2 for ISU and opened up the passing game way more.

Needless to say, Montgomery was a major part of every single team's scouting report as he was known for being such a good RB that could both run and catch, even after a better QB started playing.

If you objectively watch a lot of game footage, you'll see that the defenses routinely got past ISU's offensive line and it's well known the OL sucked, especially last season. The fact that Montgomery was able to do what he did is a testament to him. The OL rarely actually helped him. If he was not good at balance, breaking tackles, etc there's no way he would have left early let alone be drafted. He does not have breakaway speed, but can get good yardage. The guy is a workhorse who works his ass off so rest assured, I guarantee he's working on getting faster. He worked out so much at the ISU practice facility, even at early morning hours alone, that the ISU staff literally tried to lock him out of the building and he still got in.

https://www.stack.com/a/why-david-montgomery-runs-so-hard
With a good rep and no holes, what RB wouldn't leave early?

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
RB

I think we can get a little carried away with the college ypc……Thomas Jones a back we all admired in his three years here in Chicago had a 4.9 ypc at Virginia and had a very good pro career.

marothisu

Liked Posts:
With a good rep and no holes, what RB wouldn't leave early?

The OLine for Iowa State is supposed to be improved for this coming season (whatever that means..really who knows), and it's very possible that Montgomery would have even had a better year if he would have stayed. Not a guarantee though and some people were even predicting late 1st round or very early 2nd round for him. Fell to the 3rd. At the end of the day, I think he made the right decision although for selfish reasons, would have loved to see him one more year do his thing. Glad he's in the NFL and hope he does very, very, very well.

Last edited:

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The OLine for Iowa State is supposed to be improved for this coming season (whatever that means..really who knows), and it's very possible that Montgomery would have even had a better year if he would have stayed. Not a guarantee though and some people were even predicting late 1st round or very early 2nd round for him. Fell to the 3rd. At the end of the day, I think he made the right decision although for selfish reasons, would have loved to see him one more year do his thing. Glad he's in the NFL and hope he does very, very, very well.
Curious if you are / were a Bears fan already, or became one because of the pick / following DM's career, etc. The reason I ask is because your join date correlates to the draft.

marothisu

Liked Posts:
Curious if you are / were a Bears fan already, or became one because of the pick / following DM's career, etc. The reason I ask is because your join date correlates to the draft.

Let's just say I grew up rooting for the Bears as my 2nd favorite team, but not 1st :D I lived in Chicago for about a decade until recently too. Montgomery getting drafted for the Bears made me want to join here and it's going to make me root more for the Bears because he was so awesome on and off the field. I've been a casual fan of the Bears most of my life though, but not a die hard.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Let's just say I grew up rooting for the Bears as my 2nd favorite team, but not 1st :D I lived in Chicago for about a decade until recently too. Montgomery getting drafted for the Bears made me want to join here and it's going to make me root more for the Bears because he was so awesome on and off the field. I've been a casual fan of the Bears most of my life though, but not a die hard.
Gotcha. Well, welcome! This is gonna likely be a good year to follow them :)

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Unless you get taken early in one, you're better off coming out. There's the injury issue plus you reach FA sooner than a late 1st rounder. The extra year of FA pay almost makes up the difference for a 3rd rounder that excels plus you have that bird in the hand. An early 2nd rounder can actually make more than a late 1st after 5 years.