OFFICIAL Mully is reporting unconfirmed OC is.....

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
Always two ways to look at things, one way is a new innovative staff with no scars from past head coaches, The other way is you get a college guy and a first time coach will always have the room. No Ditka and Ryan here, and if it does happen it is because we have one hell of a team.

Bottom line, Nagy did not do much under Reid, just like Pace did not do much under Loomis, so there is just as much that can go wrong as what can go right.
Yup, user name checks.

People know Loomis was just a money guy. Sean Payton called Pace NOs secret weapon when he was there. Not what you call someone who did "not do much".

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He went 37-16 in 4 years as Oregon HC. So he had a winning record.
As far as being a understudy to Chip Kelly, His spread offense did actually work in the NFL ,Michael Vick was actually pretty productive in it and Nick Foles threw 7 TD's in one game. Im not saying it was a complete success, but it did have some success his 1st 2 years as eagles coach he went 10-6.

Yes the question is whether the NFL adjusted to it and whether that adjustment was specific to Kelly and the Eagles or his spread offense as a whole.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yes the question is whether the NFL adjusted to it and whether that adjustment was specific to Kelly and the Eagles or his spread offense as a whole.

The nice part is we are not going to run Kelly's system.

Nagy can steal the best parts of it and use it.

Reid has been running the Spread Coast Offense for a couple years now.

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
The guy is here for ideas/input that's it. The OC job is really neutered if the head coach is calling plays.

billwade

Liked Posts:
Whoa, dude is serious. Hiring Helfich is like adding a nitrous kit to a Viper. I watched the Ducks a fair amount over the Kelly years, and this is a very good hire.

I guess this is what you call "attacking" the problem...

Washington

Liked Posts:
The guy is here for ideas/input that's it. The OC job is really neutered if the head coach is calling plays.

Correct. He will be Nagy's yes man with Nagy calling plays. I look forward to seeing innovation in our offense. We are decades over due in that regard.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Does all this go out the window when trubisky gets hurt and sanchito the butt fumbler is our qb?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does all this go out the window when trubisky gets hurt and sanchito the butt fumbler is our qb?

tumblr_luu0tcoxz61qkvsam.png

ob1force

Liked Posts:
Not totally in love with the move but Nagy wants people who bring something different to the table. Helfrich definitely fits that bill.

We wanted an OC with some playcalling experience; although it wasn't in the NFL, he has called plays at a high level at Oregon.

He helped mold Mariota into the QB he is today.

Learned from Kelly and Koetter, two guys with some success in the NFL.

To echo others' sentiments, we are going to have some unique play designs next few seasons. What a breath of fresh air compared to the run run pass tune we've been forced to endure.

Also hope we don't try to get too fancy. Keep the playcalling balanced and be ready to adapt.

If Helfrich was the sole playcaller, I'd probably dislike the move but with Nagy calling the shots, it's a moot point. Helfrich should add some fun concepts into the offense and work with Trubisky to take that next step.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Him never having coached in the NFL doesn't bug me really at all. He's coached under Chip Kelly (a very good NFL coach till he wanted control of roster) and Dirk Koetter (a respected NFL coordinator). He'll bring wrinkles to the offensive development that make this fun and innovative.

Remember Nagy played in the arena league, coached a more west coast-ish style offense under Andy Reid and now he's getting a spread option coordinator. This is going to be an offense that can play w/ tempo from time to time but will be creative because of both of their background. Kind of like a "spread-coast" system. I'm really impressed so far with who he is hiring.

I don't know if you made up that term or took it from radio but I love the name "spread coast" offense hahahaha.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The nice part is we are not going to run Kelly's system.

Nagy can steal the best parts of it and use it.

Reid has been running the Spread Coast Offense for a couple years now.

Oh for sure, I was just responding to the poster talking about Kelly's offense's early success. I presume our offense will be more of a hybrid but both offenses do have a lot of horizontal YAC concepts with the big difference being the diversity of formations and type of horizontal plays ran. As well as the fact the increased tempo of Kelly's offense.

LiverpoolBearsFAn

Liked Posts:
I get the feeling that run, run, pass may be dispensed with next season.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How complex will this system be?

How long will it take to get going and will it be easily learned by new WRs??

Likely there will be another influx group of "try out & see" WRs coming in...but I doubt as many old retread vets...more likely young-never-got-their-shot, low risk- moderate reward athletes til a few stick to go with a FA WR & draftee.

Remember Martz...super complex and yes it finally worked to the tune of >35 pts per game til Cutty went on IR. Took a year & a half to get there though & was too complex for plug n play players though, which led to a lot of INTs with wrong routes & reads.

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
Ross Tucker
@RossTuckerNFL
2m2 minutes ago
Matt Nagy hiring Hiestand as OL coach & Helfrich as OC from college shows he knows deal in terms of NFL teams incorporating more and more college concepts. Great early sign for Bears.

who was the poster from yesterday that got a text from his brother that called both of these hires?

giphy.gif

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sometimes I wonder if most football fans think an offensive coordinator's only job is play calling. Apparently an overwhelming number of people around here think Helfrich is being paid to do nothing. :facepalm:

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I really like the hire of Mark Helfirch.

The Kansas City Chiefs run a system that is a mashup of a ton of different systems and styles and it made them very difficult to play against. They run west coast, spread, RPO, multiple option packages.

I like the idea of having a ton of different ideas in the room and coming up with the best and most innovative system possible. The Bears have never done that. They have never been "cutting edge" offensively.

How soon we forget leading the nation with the T formation, but I get your point.

billwade

Liked Posts:

No. Sources say that Nagy and Helfrich are already designing several plays off the butt fumble set in order to play to Sanchez strengths. One play being discussed is the Wildcat butt fumble where Sanchez splits out at the last minute and Howard takes the snap and butt fumbles into Long.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I get the feeling that run, run, pass may be dispensed with next season.

Even if it is not completely dispensed, it would be more successful because it would be completely unexpected given the creativity that will be added to the offense.