*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
6’ and 220lbs is a beast…
I think that something people don’t get with the way Deebo was used, and I think EJ or Coach T pointed it out, is that he was used when there was a 7 db set. Once the D read 7, they ran power and were able to drive on a pass set using a power run.

So, it’s not so much that Deebo can play a good RB, as much as he forces the opposing D to read him as WR, while the personnel are able to play power. It’s a crazy mismatch.

Think about it if we drafted Likely or Conner, can line them wide, the D goes dime or nickel, and we can hand off to a 200 lb WR that can peel off yardage — with a lead back: the TE!

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
optimism for those that think Justin Fields may be a bust: every quarterback that played for the Bears when Nagy was head coach played poorly. I would argue that Fields probably played the best of all of them. grading Fields can be swayed by the fact that the 2021 Bears were like Nagy's magnum opus for epic grade shit on offense. I just look at the other factors in the equation and it's like the textbook definition of insanity.

I wouldn't worry too much about one practice. quite certain an array of other Bears starting quarterbacks had poor minicamp practices over the years too.
On the subject of Fields, how can anyone judge him off of last year? Only when he had to did Nagy try to fit Fields into his system that was built around an aging QB with limited mobility and not much of an arm. We all know Nagy was never able to adjust his game plans around the talent he had. If players did not fit his system he had no use for them, and last Fields did not fit that system.

Canth

Liked Posts:
On the subject of Fields, how can anyone judge him off of last year? Only when he had to did Nagy try to fit Fields into his system that was built around an aging QB with limited mobility and not much of an arm. We all know Nagy was never able to adjust his game plans around the talent he had. If players did not fit his system he had no use for them, and last Fields did not fit that system.

I don't think that is fair to the aging QB's with limited mobility. Nagy's system didn't appear to fit any QB regardless of age, experience, or mobility.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I also dislike the sentiment that "Bears signed this player so now they aren't forced into anything in this draft". Read it yesterday when they signed a WR, OT and a CB. 3 biggest needs. But all 3 are different degrees of longshots to make the roster. I do like David Moore a lot, but they could draft a WR in the 5th round and cut him and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Interesting RBs the Bears have been rumored to be looking at. All project to be 3rd down type backs, in the Tarik Cohen vein. Obviously, they don't need a 1 or 2 RB so this makes sense. But a lot of them are short and/or fast. Torrey is a Mighty Mouse clone. 5'7", 201lbs. Strong as hell (26 reps of 225 at pro day), not super fast (4.57 in 40) but he's a good receiver out of the backfield. UDFA for sure

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Interesting RBs the Bears have been rumored to be looking at. All project to be 3rd down type backs, in the Tarik Cohen vein. Obviously, they don't need a 1 or 2 RB so this makes sense. But a lot of them are short and/or fast. Torrey is a Mighty Mouse clone. 5'7", 201lbs. Strong as hell (26 reps of 225 at pro day), not super fast (4.57 in 40) but he's a good receiver out of the backfield. UDFA for sure
Yup. I’m thinking the one they take is either Ezra Gray or the maybe Calvin Turner, the kid from Hawaii.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Here is a full 3 round mock that is interesting.

Bears picks (no trades):

39. Chicago Bears | Tulsa OT Tyler Smith​

48. Chicago Bears (from LAC) | Auburn CB Roger McCreary​

71. Chicago Bears | Cincinnati WR Alec Pierce​

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

Bears picks (no trades):

I’ve always said that if we end up with Pierce or Likely in the 3rd, after getting quality, it’s a good draft.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Bears picks (no trades):

If t shook out that way, and they got those three, we should be very happy.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
It pains me to say this but this is the type of piece you trade for when you have everything else lined up.

The Bears have way too many holes. They need each one of those picks, and I don't think they'll be giving any of them away.

I wouldn't be surprised if they threw a bunch of draft picks at the offensive line and defensive line and possibly ignored wide receiver almost completely unless some one really special drops to them.

This is going to take time. Treat this as if it were Justin's rookie season. He's learning a new offense and last year was such a waste.

They are going to build the team around him and if he fails, they are going to have a team in place for whoever they do draft.

But we aren't going to know that for sure until year four of Justin so buckle up.
Yes we are not close to being a 1 or 2 guys away team, makes no sense to trade picks for Debo.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Do they honestly believe that the biggest benefit to the draft is the ratings it draws on TV in April? How in God’s name could you field a league if players were allowed to go wherever they wanted?
Controlling player movement and limited # of teams adds mucho value to each team, no way the draft ever goes away.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I also dislike the sentiment that "Bears signed this player so now they aren't forced into anything in this draft". Read it yesterday when they signed a WR, OT and a CB. 3 biggest needs. But all 3 are different degrees of longshots to make the roster. I do like David Moore a lot, but they could draft a WR in the 5th round and cut him and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it
All those guys have played and even started in the league. They are not trash roster filler.