***OFFICIAL*** Stanley Cup Playoff (12) Blackhawks vs. (1) Golden Knights thread

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
At worst they lost out in Fafreniere--which they had a 12.5% shot of getting (and you know Regis and Bettman were painting penguins and oil drops on a bunch of ping pong balls)

At best they lost 3-4 positions in the draft. They didn't really lose much.

They got some of their kids playoff experience.....considering it was not earned but given, the price was a bargin. Looking at it Cup half empty, they had a nearly 90% chance of not getting the top pick.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
At worst they lost out in Fafreniere--which they had a 12.5% shot of getting (and you know Regis and Bettman were painting penguins and oil drops on a bunch of ping pong balls)

That's huge considering he's traded every first rounder except dach or something like that?

Granada

Liked Posts:

Yeah and I still think it was worth watching this team in the playoffs one last time, because I don't think you're going to be able to see that again. There could be a lot of changes next year: Crawford and Seabrook are question marks, etc. My point is, this team is on the precipice of being dismantled, either by retirement or being traded. It's only a matter of time now, so it was nice to see them playing meaningful hockey one last time.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To Granada, statistically the Hawks had one of the 10 worst defenses (chances given up, quality chances, etc) in the history of the NHL, so I hate to see what they look like when they are "dismantled." (I actually think it was bottom 5, maybe third to a sabres team 20 years ago and canadiens team 50 years ago, but was covered by two good netminders)

I was reading about Gretsky, and how he didn't just do one thing, in fact, he did something unqique almost every time he took the ice. You couldn't prepare for him, you didn't know what he would do next, he was the master of variance and improv. And I can't help but think how frustrated I am with Kane the last 4 years...just doing the same thing over and over and over. He needs to free his mind, and I know mentally he is closer to an alcoholic than Wayne Gretsky, but somebody should help him out of his rut. I almost like him on the left side better because he has to improv.

Granada

Liked Posts:
To Granada, statistically the Hawks had one of the 10 worst defenses (chances given up, quality chances, etc) in the history of the NHL, so I hate to see what they look like when they are "dismantled." (I actually think it was bottom 5, maybe third to a sabres team 20 years ago and canadiens team 50 years ago, but was covered by two good netminders)

I was reading about Gretsky, and how he didn't just do one thing, in fact, he did something unqique almost every time he took the ice. You couldn't prepare for him, you didn't know what he would do next, he was the master of variance and improv. And I can't help but think how frustrated I am with Kane the last 4 years...just doing the same thing over and over and over. He needs to free his mind, and I know mentally he is closer to an alcoholic than Wayne Gretsky, but somebody should help him out of his rut. I almost like him on the left side better because he has to improv.

I think Kane was the least of our problems actually.

It'll get worse before it gets better. That's where dismantling comes in, because at this point, I see no other recourse but a complete rebuild. This core (Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Crawford) will not win a cup with this current strategy of trying to mix in a bunch of rookies and hoping for the best. There needs to be a complete vision for the future here instead of this half-assed attempt that Bowman has been implementing for at least the last 3 off-seasons (if not more). Like you say, it will not be pretty, but I think it needs to be done at all costs. The writing is on the wall.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I saw a man get stabbed in the ear by a flying back leg kick yesterday in the Blues game. Come on man!!

I guess there have been 5 surgeries or something this year due to skates to the head. This really needs to go the way of the NBA elbow rule...its not the "intent" which is subjective to referees and leaves dirty fucking players like the Blues up to their own devices...its the result.

If your skate contacts another players head for any reason above 3 feet, it needs to be a fine and suspension. Fuck that shit. This was a skate 5 feet in the air, and it looked awkward as fuck, I realize he got checked in the back but it seemed partly intentional just to let it fly at the guy who just checked him. His face said guilty too.

Guilty or not, it needs to be result, not intent, so that guys make every effort NOT to let it happen. We can't have guys kicking other guys in the face cuz "I was off balance, sorry."

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think Kane was the least of our problems actually.

It'll get worse before it gets better. That's where dismantling comes in, because at this point, I see no other recourse but a complete rebuild. This core (Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Crawford) will not win a cup with this current strategy of trying to mix in a bunch of rookies and hoping for the best. There needs to be a complete vision for the future here instead of this half-assed attempt that Bowman has been implementing for at least the last 3 off-seasons (if not more). Like you say, it will not be pretty, but I think it needs to be done at all costs. The writing is on the wall.

If that's the case.....you need to bring in a guy like Tallon and a new capologist then quickly show Bowman & Son the door. The thought of a complete over haul with the Bowmans running it makes my skin crawl.

Granada

Liked Posts:
If that's the case.....you need to bring in a guy like Tallon and a new capologist then quickly show Bowman & Son the door. The thought of a complete over haul with the Bowmans running it makes my skin crawl.

I'd be fine with that. Bowman's horrible track record speaks for itself.

That said, even if he is here for the foreseeable future, I'd still hope the goal is an actual rebuild. This team needs a fresh start either way.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

If Kane is in a rut, I wish all the Hawks were.

To begin to hint that he has fallen off is absurd...other than '17-'18, he's produced more as he's aged; of the last 5 years two of them were 100+ pointers, and this recent one was on pace to be a third.

He is literally last on a list of things to change to fix this team in order of priority, and that includes the front office, ownership, the stadium, food selection, booze selection, TV contract, and parking. Dead. Last.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Kane is in a rut, I wish all the Hawks were.

To begin to hint that he has fallen off is absurd...other than '17-'18, he's produced more as he's aged; of the last 5 years two of them were 100+ pointers, and this recent one was on pace to be a third.

He is literally last on a list of things to change to fix this team in order of priority, and that includes the front office, ownership, the stadium, food selection, booze selection, TV contract, and parking. Dead. Last.
He is better than his production. He has a chance to be the American GOAT, or had it. His play is predictable and stagnant and he needs to be held accountable. He does the same thing, especially....especially on the power play. If you want to limit my comments to just criticize his leadership of the powerplay, I think it should be more productive with a player of his caliber on it.

Its easy to prepare for, certain teams know how to shut him down and in recent history playoff teams have been able to take him out and take the series from us. He should absolutely be looking at Gretsky, Lemeuix and other young quick smaller guys around the league and how they are scoring goals. I'm happy for what he does, I just think he can do that and also throw alot more wrinkles and unpredictability at teams that would drive defenses crazy and open things up in the chaos for everyone else. Maybe his body can't take it, maybe he maximizes his potential and I am out of line as you imply.

I just don't think with great ones you stop at...well you lead the league in assists so there is nothing you can do. He doesn't have the intelligence of Gretsky but he doesn't have to, he should be studying everything about the guy and adding those skating paths to his arsenal, especially as he ages.

His last 3 1st round playoff series (Edmonton not included) have been largely unacceptable for a player of his caliber. I know its alot of pressure, I'm suggesting stop trying to do the same thing...change up your game and free your mind and body to get into awkward spots and just let your stick magic happen without the control.

If he mixed it up more his primary skill set would be all the more effective.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He is better than his production. He has a chance to be the American GOAT, or had it. His play is predictable and stagnant and he needs to be held accountable. He does the same thing, especially....especially on the power play. If you want to limit my comments to just criticize his leadership of the powerplay, I think it should be more productive with a player of his caliber on it.

Its easy to prepare for, certain teams know how to shut him down and in recent history playoff teams have been able to take him out and take the series from us. He should absolutely be looking at Gretsky, Lemeuix and other young quick smaller guys around the league and how they are scoring goals. I'm happy for what he does, I just think he can do that and also throw alot more wrinkles and unpredictability at teams that would drive defenses crazy and open things up in the chaos for everyone else. Maybe his body can't take it, maybe he maximizes his potential and I am out of line as you imply.

I just don't think with great ones you stop at...well you lead the league in assists so there is nothing you can do. He doesn't have the intelligence of Gretsky but he doesn't have to, he should be studying everything about the guy and adding those skating paths to his arsenal, especially as he ages.

His last 3 1st round playoff series (Edmonton not included) have been largely unacceptable for a player of his caliber. I know its alot of pressure, I'm suggesting stop trying to do the same thing...change up your game and free your mind and body to get into awkward spots and just let your stick magic happen without the control.

If he mixed it up more his primary skill set would be all the more effective.
Whatever. He IS the American GOAT already...not Modano, not Leetch, KANE. I don't know what kind of metaphysical bullshit "this free his mind" stuff has to do with anything...the guy is producing on an elite level with a team full of largely horseshit on defense; other than an aging Norris winner, nobody would give more than a 3rd round pick for the hot garbage Bowman has "stacked" the defense with. The 13 year old coach has rarely put Kane with Toews, so he's had a revolving door cadre of forward help on par with the defense outside of Keith, and the fucking guy has still produced at better than a point a game clip.

Again, of all the things to pick at with this team, it's utterly absurd to go after Patrick Kane.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whatever. He IS the American GOAT already...not Modano, not Leetch, KANE. I don't know what kind of metaphysical bullshit "this free his mind" stuff has to do with anything...the guy is producing on an elite level with a team full of largely horseshit on defense; other than an aging Norris winner, nobody would give more than a 3rd round pick for the hot garbage Bowman has "stacked" the defense with. The 13 year old coach has rarely put Kane with Toews, so he's had a revolving door cadre of forward help on par with the defense outside of Keith, and the fucking guy has still produced at better than a point a game clip.

Again, of all the things to pick at with this team, it's utterly absurd to go after Patrick Kane.
I think you are missing the point and trying to protect someone that doesn't need protection. You coach your best players the hardest. This is Bill Parcels tough talk 101, you don't give them a pass because they are the best guy on the team, you make the example out of them because their ego can take it.

Kane is a master of his craft, his stick skills are unparalleled. To return to the level he wants to be at I think he should focus on improving his improvisation and to do that he needs to put himself in more uncomfortable situations and areas, and just let his mind go rather than run a script. And again, this is most evident on the power play, but he loves his right corner like a rhesus monkey nursed to a cloth mom.

He doesn't need your defense, I'm his biggest fan, and the example of somebody with his skills who would never stagnant into the corner was Dr. Gretsky. Flow...improv, make the goalie see something different every trip down the ice. Cycle around the top, hell...go in the left corner...

Thats all I'm saying. The guy is great, there is only so much to try. He can't grow 4 inches or get his youth back.

The other thing the Hawks need is to try a different personal trainer, or hire another 2 or 3 onto staff and get some fresh minds, better fits for certain guys. One trainer probabably doesn't work with everyone the best. We are too often out muscled and out hustled, I think our current guy is a little nutty and straying away from reality.

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Laughing at the Blews is always a welcomed addition. I watched the end of that game, loved it!

There was a time went I absolutely hated the Canucks and their moronic fanbase....but I gotta admit, I was pulling
for them to beat St. Louis.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
There was a time went I absolutely hated the Canucks and their moronic fanbase....but I gotta admit, I was pulling

Well yeah

Granada

Liked Posts:

Yeah, I was in the same boat, and during that series, I kept getting ill to my stomach because I was actually rooting for the Schmucks. Although they literally lost every single player on that team I used to hate (Sedins, Bieksa, hair-puller Bullows, etc.), I still think their fans are terrible -- but yeah, lesser of two evils was Van over Blows.

Felt the same thing with Bruins/Blues last year -- am I really rooting for Boston and that fanbase? Lol

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Yeah, I was in the same boat, and during that series, I kept getting ill to my stomach because I was actually rooting for the Schmucks. Although they literally lost every single player on that team I used to hate (Sedins, Bieksa, hair-puller Bullows, etc.), I still think their fans are terrible -- but yeah, lesser of two evils was Van over Blows.

Felt the same thing with Bruins/Blues last year -- am I really rooting for Boston and that fanbase? Lol
Its really difficult to get on board with any team that is left, Vegas in my humble opinion is a bullshit team, never had to go through what all other franchises had to go through in every league, building it up, drafting, free agency, instead where given a crap load of picks and a crapload of talent to go with it, put many teams in a bind and unlike other franchises they still had a boatload of cap space to go out and buy players many teams couldn’t afford because of the cap. Bruins, Philly, Dallas, Vancouver make me sick Tampa I just love watching them lose with all that star talent they have, Colorado because they are a central team I like to watch them lose as well, but I would cheer for them over the other teams.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Its really difficult to get on board with any team that is left, Vegas in my humble opinion is a bullshit team, never had to go through what all other franchises had to go through in every league, building it up, drafting, free agency, instead where given a crap load of picks and a crapload of talent to go with it, put many teams in a bind and unlike other franchises they still had a boatload of cap space to go out and buy players many teams couldn’t afford because of the cap. Bruins, Philly, Dallas, Vancouver make me sick Tampa I just love watching them lose with all that star talent they have, Colorado because they are a central team I like to watch them lose as well, but I would cheer for them over the other teams.

Yeah the Avs are actually my new favorite, even though they're down 0-2. Honestly, McKinnon is one of my favorite players to watch -- I love the way he plays. I hate Dallas -- especially Jamie Benn. Hate Vegas too, it's like everyone loves Vegas all of a sudden -- not only do I hate the team, but Vegas' fans don't know what the hell is going on as far as the game itself is concerned. Boston, Van, Philly -- yeah, we know all about those fanbases. I too enjoy TB always losing for some reason -- although I dislike Cooper, I don't really hate the team or its fans, but nevertheless, I like to see them lose.

Like usual, I still think the Cup winner will come out of the West.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Now is the time to ask if Vegas goes with Lehner for Game 7 against the Nucks. Game 5 and especially Game 6, Lehner was below average. I really don't know what DeBoer is going to do here.