Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nah disagree. Look at Mooney again. He actually still has about 1.5-2 yards of space in the back of the end zone. If he had taken that space then he can jump and make that catch. Going forward he needs to take that route to the back of the end zone which would also create more space between him and the underneath defender. But again, I leave it up to Getsy to work out whether he prefers Fields take that chance or not as that is really all that matters ie what he and the coaches agree is the right call in that situation.
25+ yards away with a defender 2yds off inline vs 10 yards away with a defender 3 yards off and stationary to the side. It's not that big a deal which this turning into but it was the poorer choice.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Any injury updates from last night? I saw the cast on Khari, wondered if Caleb (#92) is out long-term or not. He was a great STer last year, that I think is an adequate backup. I did like the coverage skills that Gates (#43) has, he can move.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Based on my limited viewing of the preseason this team looks less mistake prone. I wonder if there is a correlation between penalties and the background of the coach.

@remydat this is the type of statistical analysis that is up your alley.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure I consider that wide open. The db behind esb was clearly trying to bait fields into that throw. I think he probably could get the throw in there, but the db thought he had just enough room to make a play on the ball there
That makes sense. Gotta love tweets like these where guys are analyzing in hindsight, with no depth perception... from the comfort of their recliner.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Based on my limited viewing of the preseason this team looks less mistake prone. I wonder if there is a correlation between penalties and the background of the coach.

I think this is one of the best things that came out of this game. I believe the Bears top two units only had two penalties. Eberflus harps on playing smart, tough football and I think so far we are seeing that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
25+ yards away with a defender 2yds off inline vs 10 yards away with a defender 3 yards off and stationary to the side. It's not that big a deal which this turning into but it was the poorer choice.

That throw is clearly high risk high reward and it is a question of what is the right call within the context of the offense and the player. It is no different than how teams may scheme to throw deep on 2nd and short because they know if they fail they have a manageable 3rd down. 3rd and 4 is manageable so I have no problem with taking the chance there on 2nd and 4. I also understand your position that throwing to ESB is the better choice.

But not every OC and QB have the same risk tolerance levels. That is a throw that Aaron Rodgers would make and Getsy obviously worked with Rodgers so the question still remains how he views that play. Is he conservative like you or does he want Fields to be more aggressive when it is 2nd and less than 5 yards or so.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That makes sense. Gotta love tweets like these where guys are analyzing in hindsight, with no depth perception... from the comfort of their recliner.
Might as well not watch. amiright?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That throw is clearly high risk high reward and it is a question of what is the right call within the context of the offense and the player. It is no different than how teams may scheme to throw deep on 2nd and short because they know if they fail they have a manageable 3rd down. 3rd and 4 is manageable so I have no problem with taking the chance there on 2nd and 4. I also understand your position that throwing to ESB is the better choice.

But not every OC and QB have the same risk tolerance levels. That is a throw that Aaron Rodgers would make and Getsy obviously worked with Rodgers so the question still remains how he views that play. Is he conservative like you or does he want Fields to be more aggressive when it is 2nd and less than 5 yards or so.
Don't care any more.:) It's become a fruitless convo.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Wouldn't know where to begin with that as too many variables. I would say a lot of this probably boils down to ability to teach and make things simple for the players, accountability and the type of players you have. It is telling for example that both Brisker and Gordon has zero penalties called against them last season so if you are targeting guys with that level of discipline then that makes things easier.

Part of the reason why I didn't mind seeing guys like Hicks leave. For as great as he was Hicks was just a dumb player at times who would have absolutely stupid penalties.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Disagree. He points to ESB in an attempt to fool the D into thinking he is going their and he had Mooney. Just needed a slightly better pass. On 2nd and 4, those are the chances I have no problem with him taking. The bigger issues was the 3rd down play where he rushed things as he got fooled by a fake blitz.

Also wouldn't say ESB is wide open. The defender is 3 yards off but clearly watchin Fields and sees him pointing at ESB. It is a question of how fast Fields can get the ball in there and how fast the defender can close.

^This ?

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
Herbert was terrible in pass protection and failed to pickup the blitz multiple times. Need Montgomery back
Something to watch as the season goes forward. It's all well and good saying not to pay Monty (people are probably right) but if a RB can't pass protect, it's not good enough for the development of this O or for Fields future. Ebner was just as streaky against the Chiefs.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
1st and goal inside the 10 yard line would be nice as well.
It would be nice.

But if the QB sees a shot at the end zone, I am happy we have a guy with the guts to toss it. We've had shitty quarterbacks that would only take the easy shots, we've had shitty quarterbacks that push too hard for big plays. Fields is quite talented and I think he is showing signs of growth.

If he takes plenty of the easy throws that are there and has the guts to take a few shots at the end zone when he gets the look he wants, I'm happy.

Last edited:

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure I consider that wide open. The db behind esb was clearly trying to bait fields into that throw. I think he probably could get the throw in there, but the db thought he had just enough room to make a play on the ball there
Yeah, 2&4 and already in FG range is a fine down and distance to look to be aggressive downfield, ESB is NFL open but not by enough to be a sure thing DB is close enough to have a chance at making a great play on the ball.

The issue I see on this play is Fields slows down/almost stops, and then shuffles his feet a few times around the 22 yard line. He does gets good depth on the roll out but he needs to keep moving towards the boundary and close distance to the LOS to force defenders to respect the threat of his legs. He has the speed to get to the edge and force SEA #10 into a 2v1 - choosing to give up the first down run by Fields or let ESB get behind him. Even if SEA #57 gets to the sideline to stop Fields that leaves CHI #47 wide open on his little 7 yard sit route. Fields has to get upfield though to force the defense into making those lose-lose choices.

Last edited: