Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They're re-sodding before the first game. Has already been announced. But let the freaking out commence...

(also.... WTF is Bad Bunny?)
Dude, it takes sod a month to secure itself. 2 weeks to tickle the ground underneath. I hope them using Bermuda does the trick but have my doubts.

Last edited:

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Not sure if they do it but there are nutrients you can add to the water at the right ph will help them root up in days
Plus they aren't resodding with 2'X3' pieces, they are using large rolls that are several feet wide and 100+ feet long.

Still can't wait for them to be out of Soldier Field.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure if they do it but there are nutrients you can add to the water at the right ph will help them root up in days
I'll be very happy when the Bears are no longer at the mercy of the Chicago Parks District.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Dude, it takes sod a month to secure itself. 2 weeks to tickle the ground underneath. I hope them using Bermuda does the trick but have my doubts.
I don't understand why anyone would think they can re-sod with 3 weeks before a game lol. Makes no sense. The field is going to be in horrible shape

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't understand why anyone would think they can re-sod with 3 weeks before a game lol. Makes no sense. The field is going to be in horrible shape
Assuming it takes between 4-8 years to get a stadium in Arlington Heights designed, planned, zoned, built, etc, the Bears are probably in for 4-8 years of crappy sod as I would anticipate less-than-mature behaviour on behalf of the CPD once they've been scorned. Decembers at Soldier Field are going to look my front-lawn in August in Texas (I do not believe in watering my lawn in the summer when there's a drought going on).

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Assuming it takes between 4-8 years to get a stadium in Arlington Heights designed, planned, zoned, built, etc, the Bears are probably in for 4-8 years of crappy sod as I would anticipate less-than-mature behaviour on behalf of the CPD once they've been scorned. Decembers at Soldier Field are going to look my front-lawn in August in Texas (I do not believe in watering my lawn in the summer when there's a drought going on).

2-3 years max at this rate

gallagher

Ave Atque Vale
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Problem is Kmet saw more red zone targets than Graham sooooooo….

I am happy about all of this, but I do not think Kmet is "uniquely" built to be productive in the TE screen plays. He can run like a train, but there are a lot of guys with his athletic traits that try to make it at TE (most just end up being a waste of a roster spot).

His success where others have failed wont come down to how he is built, but his toughness and his focus.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
2-3 years max at this rate
One would hope. But man once you get all the local agencies and approvals and unions lined up and traffic-impact studies and all the hoops you have to jump through, to say nothing of how long it took (and how much it cost) to renovate Soldier Field, I was assuming a worst-case scenario. And then there's the elephant in the room of the sale of the team to (presumably) Bezos. There are just a whole lot Is to be dotted and Ts to be crossed.

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Pretty sure they do this all the time.

From an article:

“All clubs with natural grass fields submit a resodding plan to the league; nearly all fields require re-sodding at least once during the season.”

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
I understand wanting to use both Smith and Fields for most of the first half, but where do you draw the line with preseason injury concerns???
Yeah, it's a fine line. Just guess we keep our fingers crossed that the players who go out there Saturday that are probable game 1 starters make it through. This season is shaping up to be hard, without having injuries pile up on top.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
I understand wanting to use both Smith and Fields for most of the first half, but where do you draw the line with preseason injury concerns???
I get what your saying but injuries are part of the game. At the same time, Fields and the starting offense need a lot of practice before week 1.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

They actually grow the sod on plastic so it develops an extensive root system that just interconnects because the roots have nowhere else to go. They then put a sand base down and roll the sod with the soil on top of the sand. So it is not like regular sod where your roots actually have to grow over a month or so. In this case, the roots are already grown and just need to stretch out so to spoke once they know have room to spread into the sand base.

Of course, the problem comes from how skilled the sodders are and how thick a sand base they lay down as too shallow and it will easily get pulled up. Also not sure if Soldier Field uses a sand base or not as that is just the technique I know has been used on grass fields for the Super Bowl.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hope I'm wrong and that's correct.
They actually grow the sod on plastic so it develops an extensive root system that just interconnects because the roots have nowhere else to go. They then put a sand base down and roll the sod with the soil on top of the sand. So it is not like regular sod where your roots actually have to grow over a month or so. In this case, the roots are already grown and just need to stretch out so to spoke once they know have room to spread into the sand base.

Of course, the problem comes from how skilled the sodders are and how thick a sand base they lay down as too shallow and it will easily get pulled up. Also not sure if Soldier Field uses a sand base or not as that is just the technique I know has been used on grass fields for the Super Bowl.
That sounds better. I just remember it coming up in clumps in the past. Fingers crossed.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The Thursday night game for the 2nd preseason game probably forced this. Didn't want to risk injury on a short week so had to defer starters getting a full half to 3rd preseason game. They get a bye week before the season so will have 2 weeks to recover.