**Official** Training Camp News & Scheisse [Football Talk Only]

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If we can get a 3rd I agree. That's a win.

You're thinking about that way too hard. I'm not suggesting Jenkins do his own thing in the line. I'm saying we've seen this before. Perhaps Olsen was not the best example. Versatility was something that Jenkins was praised for. I imagine someone that is versatile is capable of playing in multiple schemes. We drafted D.Manning to play Cover 3 and Cover 1. How many times was the dude out of position even though on paper he clearly was the most suited for it? I find it hard to believe a couple of weeks in that Jenkins is that poor of a scheme fit.

That is not what you said. Your original comment was about fitting the scheme to the player. Hence why I pointed out while that is possible for say WR, it isnt really for OL. Hence why most guys draft OL thry think fit whatever scheme they intend to run.

Jenkins profiles as more of a power blocker hence why some questioned if the feet to play Tackle. Someone that is a true scheme fit would never have people questioning their lateral movement or ability to block at the 2nd level. If there is a criticism of an OL fit for this scheme it would generally be if they are big enough and strong enough to hold their own because again they tend to be smaller and quick not necessarily strong.

That doesnt mean Jenkins could never play in this scheme as whatever he lacks in quickness and agility he may make up for in strength but the point is it is not a natural fit.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why does this guy never say these things before stuff happens. One guy told you in the spring so why didnt you report it then?
Make believe insider.

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That is not what you said. Your original comment was about fitting the scheme to the player. Hence why I pointed out while that is possible for say WR, it isnt really for OL. Hence why most guys draft OL thry think fit whatever scheme they intend to run.

Jenkins profiles as more of a power blocker hence why some questioned if the feet to play Tackle. Someone that is a true scheme fit would never have people questioning their lateral movement or ability to block at the 2nd level. If there is a criticism of an OL fit for this scheme it would generally be if they are big enough and strong enough to hold their own because again they tend to be smaller and quick not necessarily strong.

That doesnt mean Jenkins could never play in this scheme as whatever he lacks in quickness and agility he may make up for in strength but the point is it is not a natural fit.
Nope.

That can be tough though. How many times have we had coaches that wanted players that "fit" their scheme but their scheme was trash? We literally traded away Greg Olsen because of this? We have exactly ZERO studs on our O-line. I don't think now is the time to trade away any of them. I don't see how Jenkins has ANY leverage. The Bears can literally just sit him and he won't get a 2nd contract. It's in his best interest to play. Jenkins may very well end up being a bust. I just don't see the logic of value in trading him away.
Notice I put "fit" in quotes. D.Manning was a "fit" for Cover 3 when Lovie started running it more but I wouldn't say he was the best at his position. Perhaps at times the least bad. None of these coaches have the resume to cut players based off "fit" at this point in their career. Nor, did any of the previous coaches that did it. I think everyone else got this from my post. I'm not sure why you didn't.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nope.

Notice I put "fit" in quotes. D.Manning was a "fit" for Cover 3 when Lovie started running it more but I wouldn't say he was the best at his position. Perhaps at times the least bad. None of these coaches have the resume to cut players based off "fit" at this point in their career. Nor, did any of the previous coaches that did it. I think everyone else got this from my post. I'm not sure why you didn't.

Whether you cut a player has fuck all to do with resume. These guys have years and decades in their scheme and can assess whether a player fits it or not. They sign and cut players based on that no matter whether they are a first year coach or a 10th year coach.

This is an outside zone team. Jenkins may simply not be a good fit for an outside zone team. Poles clearly has a specific type of OL he is targeting. He has explained this quite clearly.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Because he was busy reporting that Jenkins was the only guy Poles liked and he would be a starter and stooges like @Mighty Joe Young ate it up

“THEY’RE WORKING HARD. THEY’RE IMPROVING. THEY’RE TAKING COACHING, SO THAT IS OBVIOUSLY A POSITIVE. IF YOU ARE AN O-LINE GUY LIKE I AM, YOU KNOW THAT WE’RE NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO TELL MUCH ABOUT THESE OFFENSIVE LINEMEN UNTIL WE PUT PADS ON.

SO I LOVE THE WORK THEY’RE PUTTING IN. THEY’RE DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT. THEY’RE ADAPTING TO THE NEW SCHEME. THEY’RE CHANGING THEIR BODIES. EVERYTHING THAT THEY’RE SUPPOSED TO. BUT LISTEN, WE ALL KNOW UP FRONT WHEN THE PADS COME ON, THAT’S WHEN WE REALLY SEE WHAT’S GOING ON.”