Official "Will Rondo get suspended?" thread

Seth

Liked Posts:
At this point, I want to see the Bulls advance. I know there's always the risk that without rondo we blow them out and the game doesn't achieve the same cinematic stature as games 1,2,4, and 5, thus "tainting" our upset on Celtics on talk-radio, but it's a risk I'm willing to take!

This was a flagrant flagrant 2, this wasn't borderline, it's standard procedure at this point and Rondo only has himself to blame.

engies

Liked Posts:
He should but probably wont. I pray they do he deserves it. Have to send a msg that you cant do that and get away with it. Esp after Game 5 situation

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Re:Official

Here's the AP story:

Rondo throws elbow at Hinrich, stays in game

Posted Apr 30 2009 8:07PM

CHICAGO (AP) -- Already embroiled in controversy, Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo threw an elbow at the Chicago Bulls' Kirk Hinrich late in the first quarter Thursday but was not ejected from the first-round playoff game.

Trying to avoid elimination in Game 6, Chicago was leading 34-25 when Derrick Rose rebounded a missed 3-pointer by Boston's Stephon Marbury with 30 seconds left. That's when Rondo shoved Hinrich into the scorer's table. Hinrich pushed him back and Rondo then threw an elbow that missed.

The result was a technical against Hinrich and a flagrant foul for Rondo, whose hard foul that the NBA ruled wasn't flagrant at the end of Game 5 left Brad Miller with a bloody mouth and Chicago fans seeing red.

They were already booing Rondo loudly whenever he touched the ball when the skirmish with Hinrich occurred.

http://www.nba.com/2009/playoffs2009/04/30/rondo.hinrich.ap/index.html

That title should help the Bulls out.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:

??? ?????? wrote:
BTW, the refs better not come out with an agenda to get Gordno fouled out like they did in this game. That was ridiculous. It seemed like the league wanted to get Gordon fouled out because Allen fouled out of the last game.

The worst was the foul where they called Gordon for fighting through the horribly moving screen. The Bulls should send a pick of all the illegal screens Glen Davis sets. I mean the guy is already as wide as 10 players stacked next to each other, he doesn't need to set an illegal pick.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:

cool007 wrote:
??? ?????? wrote:
BTW, the refs better not come out with an agenda to get Gordno fouled out like they did in this game. That was ridiculous. It seemed like the league wanted to get Gordon fouled out because Allen fouled out of the last game.

yes, that was way too obvious. Also the back to back foul they called in Pierce's favor in that 1st OT when we were up by 4, were REALLY BOGUS. Gordon barely touched and Pierce initiated contact, then Salmons played really well but Pierce initiated again and got called for it. That should have been a no-call.

If you watch the replay, Pierce travels on the second one, he picks up his pivot foot then puts it back down then takes a step. Not only were both fouls really bogus relative to the contact Salmons was drawing at the rim on the other end, but one of them was a clear travel violation.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:

I actually thought as far as bias towards one team goes, this game was the worst of the series with the Celtics getting all the calls.

When Rondo throws the elbow, but doesn't get ejected that's a clear celtics bias. Throwing a punch is an automatic suspension. In this case, the elbow was used like a punch and should have meant an ejection, and should mean a suspension.

However, it was probably a playoff elbow, after a playoff throw someone into the stands. Good clean plays on the ball both of them, because he was about as close to the ball there as he was when he fish hooked Miller.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:

Complaining about the refs seems to be some sort of sports ritual, but I think I'm over it. Yeah as a kid I used to super slow mo everything on the VCR trying to find an excuse when my team lost, but really most games you find both teams can make the case they were hard done by. I think Boston has every right to say that the whistle happy way the game was called favoured Chicago, after all their team is basically their starters at the moment, and by the end they had 2 of them left on the court.

Call me naive, but I think the officials try to call the game fairly (betting scandals aside). It's just damn hard to do in real time, I mean everything looks bad on the tenth replay, but I doubt most of us can do a better job at real speed. Even the Miller hit to the head didn't look that bad live, but in slowmo it looks terrible sure.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:

Shakes wrote:
Complaining about the refs seems to be some sort of sports ritual, but I think I'm over it. Yeah as a kid I used to super slow mo everything on the VCR trying to find an excuse when my team lost, but really most games you find both teams can make the case they were hard done by. I think Boston has every right to say that the whistle happy way the game was called favoured Chicago, after all their team is basically their starters at the moment, and by the end they had 2 of them left on the court.

Call me naive, but I think the officials try to call the game fairly (betting scandals aside). It's just damn hard to do in real time, I mean everything looks bad on the tenth replay, but I doubt most of us can do a better job at real speed. Even the Miller hit to the head didn't look that bad live, but in slowmo it looks terrible sure.

I don't think the games are rigged at all, I also don't think the refs attempt to change the outcome of the game, but this game had tons and tons of huge calls at the end of the game / OT, and they all went the Celtics way.

The bad possession call where the ball was clearly off perkins hand and they gave Celtics the ball. Without that call we win in regulation.

Pierce committed about four obvious defensive fouls while he had five before they finally fouled him out. All of them far more egregious than the one they fouled Gordon out on against Pierce.

Pierce had a big obvious travel on one of his calls to draw a foul on Salmons (play after gordon fouled out, he picked up his pivot foot and put it back down, it wasn't subtle).

Rondo threw Brad Miller to the ground at one point to stop him from getting a rebound which wasn't called, similar play to what he did to Hinrich just not into the stands.

I think NBA officiating is really hard, and I don't think they are trying to bias the game, and that over the course of the game these things usually even out, but in this game I didn't think they did. In OT, we were attacking the rim adn not getting calls while generating contact mid air. Meanwhile, Paul Pierce was generating fouls by shooting turn around jumpers with a travel step.

In some ways, it reaffirms my faith in NBA officials though, they sure as hell weren't trying to make up for making a horrible call which cost the Bulls the game on Tuesday.

Shakes

Iconoclast
Liked Posts:

I kind of feel the same way about the officials hurting you at the end as I do about the focus on the last shot in general ... it's such an isolated incident that you've got small sample size problems. Even with 3 overtimes, you just dont have enough calls to say bias vs officials just not seeing stuff.

That said it does seem like the "guy has 5 fouls, lets not foul him out" thing was in force with PP at times.

I guess as a non-American who hasn't grown up with the game the whole foul thing amuses me, the way the game is called at the end or on a guy with 5 fouls already sort of seems to say "this whole concept of fouls for trivial crap is pretty silly, but we have to reconcile the idea with if you could slam people into the hard floor for 48 minutes all our players would be dead, so lets just make it a couple of minutes you can do that instead".

dynastyVI

Liked Posts:

Diddy1122 wrote:
pinkizdead wrote:
two questions.

if rondo's out, wouldn't that help pierce and some other C's? starburry would slow the pace down and be more of a facilitator.

Second, In game 7 do you think the refs are going to call every single foul/every instance of contact?

i hope they do! we have far more depth than they do!

The answer is no and I sure as hell hope not.

Its true we have more depth but this has been a physical, chippy series the whole way, and they tried to nip it in the butt this game and it didn't really work. Rondo will not be suspended. Stern cares waaaay too much more about his product than the sanctity of the game. And let's face it, this series is national headlines, NATIONAL. Everyone is watching this series. And its been the story of the playoffs thus far. I don't see Stern messing any of that up.

Exactly. Stern has always been neurotic about the league's image rather than the sportsmanship. I'm not a big hockey dude, but I admire their respect for the game's sanctity.

Rose1

Liked Posts:

GO BACK TO GAME 5, RONDO WAS LOOKING AT THE BALL WHEN HE SMACK BRAD IN THE MOUTH! THEN AT THE CONFERENCE HE WAS BEING SARCASTIC AS HELL WITH IT - PERKINS WAS SARCASTIC TOO. THEN GO TO GAME 6, RONDO SEQUENCE WAS THE EXACT SAME AS THE HORRY AND NASH INCIDENT, IF NOT WORSE. STERN AND JACKSON HAS THE DOUBLE STANDARD IN PLAY! OH, RONDO THREW A ELBOW TOO BUT IT DIDN'T CONNECT!

Manic Devourer

Liked Posts:
46640765.jpg

2ndcitydiehard

Liked Posts:
As I've watched this dozens of times now and read and heard a ton of thoughts everywhere I don't think what Rondo did in "throwing Kirk into the scorers table" wasn't as bad as I originally thought. A lot of it had to do with Kirk's own momentum and that he as already out of control a bit. Does this excuse Rondo? Not in the slightest but it does help me understand, calmer and a day removed, how it was only a flagrant 1.

I still don't understand how he got away with punching Brad Miller in the face, but I digress. Brad Miller has his revenge in the closing min of the forth quarter last night.

But what should get Rondo suspended is the elbow. What will keep him getting suspended is the fact that it didn't connect and that Stu Jackson is going to say "he can't decern Rondo's intent".

I kind of think I am over this finally after being irrate for most of the last 18hrs or so. I know the best way to back at Rondo, make sure Saturday night is his last this season by closing out the C's in Boston.

TheStig

Liked Posts:

I hope Kirk throws Rondo into the scores table and throws an elbow, since its ok now.

cool007

Liked Posts:

Haaa haaa

The league doesn't do anything. None of the Bulls or other teams fans surprised. Their golden boy is not Rondo and they don't want to determine the series because Rondo is having a really good series and since KG is already out.

What they don't realize is, it's not THEM deciding it, it's that STUPID goof/thug Rondo who is himself deciding it with his own doing.

How can Horry be suspended for 2 TWO games but Rondo does't even get ejected nor he gets the suspension.

Same with Posey pushing Hinrich from behind but they ejected him as well as suspended him (and that play wasn't even that worse than Rondo's punkness). Yet, they eject and suspend Posey but take no action on Rondo.

They not only should have ejected him at that point but also should have suspended him as well.

The league were "favoritism and corruptions" happens.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:

cool007 wrote:
Haaa haaa

The league doesn't do anything. None of the Bulls or other teams fans surprised. Their golden boy is not Rondo and they don't want to determine the series because Rondo is having a really good series and since KG is already out.

What they don't realize is, it's not THEM deciding it, it's that STUPID goof/thug Rondo who is himself deciding it with his own doing.

How can Horry be suspended for 2 TWO games but Rondo does't even get ejected nor he gets the suspension.

Same with Posey pushing Hinrich from behind but they ejected him as well as suspended him (and that play wasn't even that worse than Rondo's punkness). Yet, they eject and suspend Posey but take no action on Rondo.

They not only should have ejected him at that point but also should have suspended him as well.

I love the enthusiam, but the Posey and Horry fouls were entirely different. They were both cheap shots in which both players lowered their shoulders and ran into the opposing player full speed.

Kirk was pushing Rondo back to box him out and Rondo was trying to hook around him. When Rondo got half-way around Kirk, Kirk's momentum was already bringing him down, and Rondo just threw him down the rest of the way. And as for throwing an elbow, well he missed. If he connected, he would have been suspended, but he didn't, and he isn't. I've seen the replay a 100x's and it was a flagrant 1.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:

cool007 wrote:
Haaa haaa

I agree that he should have been ejected AND suspended, and here's why.

The foul at the end of game 5 should have been upgraded to a Flagrant 2. He should have gotten a Flagrant 2 for the throw into the wall and attempted elbow.

He would have accumulated 4 flagrant foul points, and therefore received an automatic suspension.

cool007

Liked Posts:

Diddy1122 wrote:
cool007 wrote:
Haaa haaa

I love the enthusiam, but the Posey and Horry fouls were entirely different. They were both cheap shots in which both players lowered their shoulders and ran into the opposing player full speed.

Kirk was pushing Rondo back to box him out and Rondo was trying to hook around him. When Rondo got half-way around Kirk, Kirk's momentum was already bringing him down, and Rondo just threw him down the rest of the way. And as for throwing an elbow, well he missed. If he connected, he would have been suspended, but he didn't, and he isn't. I've seen the replay a 100x's and it was a flagrant 1.

What are you talking about??? You need to see it another 100 times please coz you just don't know how people get suspended and for what.

That was intentional by Rondo - if it was just incidental, I can understand but he not only pulled him but also followed through (read rule for follow through), then he also threw an elbow at Hinrich's face (rule is whether you connect the elbow or not, if you swing the elbow at player(s), that is a COMPLETE NO NO). Dwight got suspended for that.

Also, given the 2 other incidents by Rondo, this was icing on the cake and should have convinced them to suspend him. How can a guy get away with these type of stuff game after game???

J-Mart

Liked Posts:
I am shocked, the NBA looks really bad to me right now. But whatever, we can beat them with or without Rondo.