Offseason discussion/rumors

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hammel still looks like the best 5th starter for the Cubs does he not?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Jon Heyman ✔ @JonHeyman
Brett Anderson: 3.5M plus 500K for 11 games, 750K for 14 and 17, 1M for 20, 23 and 26, 1.5M for 29 games. 10M max #cubs

Looks like Montgomery will be in the bullpen.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Montgomery makes the pen better.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Honestly looking a raw stuff Montgomery has the edge with 3 mph on his fastball and his off speed results in more swing misses.

Anderson is a ground ball pitcher who produces fly balls on his off speed. High contact rates. More efficient outs but higher risk with the potential of blowing up on a wind blowing out game.

Honestly I would rather let Montgomery develop as a starter.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Honestly looking a raw stuff Montgomery has the edge with 3 mph on his fastball and his off speed results in more swing misses.

Anderson is a ground ball pitcher who produces fly balls on his off speed. High contact rates. More efficient outs but higher risk with the potential of blowing up on a wind blowing out game.

It's going to be interesting. They seem to remain steadfast in the 6 man rotation thing from May-August but those things rarely work out.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It's going to be interesting. They seem to remain steadfast in the 6 man rotation thing from May-August but those things rarely work out.

Early season there are more off days and more rain outs. When you want to use a 6 man in from Aug-Sept to limit their innings. If they are in the play off chase. If they are out of it then having a 6th man frees up Jake to be traded away.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

I dont mind the 6 man rotation at all, gives another option for Schwarber to catch someone. I do not like it when the rotation gets all fubared up because they dare not hold the entire rotation after a day off, but want Lester and Jake throwing on 5 days all the time. Eventually you end up with Lester then Monty or Anderson because of that.

As far as thinking Anderson has the edge because of the contract. Doesnt that contract favor the cubs if he only starts a dozen or so games?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Early season there are more off days and more rain outs. When you want to use a 6 man in from Aug-Sept to limit their innings. If they are in the play off chase. If they are out of it then having a 6th man frees up Jake to be traded away.

I agree with you but Maddon and Hoyer have both talked about using it starting in May. I'm simply taking them at their word for now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I agree with you but Maddon and Hoyer have both talked about using it starting in May. I'm simply taking them at their word for now.

If they did it would be related to last year's innings pitched.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Rockies DFA'd Eddie Butler. Someone prior to the cubs will likely claim him via waivers but if no one does I wouldn't mind seeing the cubs take a chance on rehabbing him.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cubs signed CF Todd Glaesmann to a minor league deal. He's some what interesting. Decent pop for a CF and supposedly average or better defensively. Probably wont end up more than depth but I could see them dealing Szczur for something minor given La Stella might make the roster over him and having Glaesmann as a similar guy with options.

They also signed Casey Kelly to a minors deal as well. Already brought him up so wont go in detail on him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Selected in the third round of the 2009 draft by the Tampa Bay Rays, OF Todd Glaesmann spent five years in the Rays' system before being included in a three-team deal in 2013, in which the Rays traded RHP Justin Choate and received catcher Ryan Hanigan from the Cincinnati Reds and RHP Heath Bell from the Arizona Diamondbacks.

As a member of the Diamondbacks organization, Glaesmann retired in February of 2014, but re-signed with the organization in June of that year. In both 2015 and 2016, Glaesmann split his time between Double-A and Triple-A, but has yet to play in the majors. The 26 year old was an non-roster invitee to spring training by the Diamondbacks in 2016.

The 6-foot-4, 225-pound right-handed hitter has played all three outfield positions, but has seen his main action in right and centerfield. In an eight year minor league career, Glaesmann has a .260/.309/.435/.743 slash line with 149 doubles, 26 triples, 75 home runs, 300 RBI, and 55 stolen bases in 705 games.

See Todd Glaesmann's Baseball Reference page

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=glaesm001tod

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Baseball America announced on their minor league transactions that the Cubs have re-signed RHP Frank Batista and OF Todd Glaesmann to minor league contracts.

The Cubs signed the 27 year old Frank Batista as an international free agent in 2008. Batista spent two season as a starting pitcher before moving into the closer role with the Daytona Cubs in 2011. "El Tiburon" (The Shark) saved 26 games for Daytona and was named a Florida State League All-Star for the 2011 season. In 2015, Batista was moved back into the starting rotation by Cubs' player development and went 7-2 with a 1.73 ERA for the Tennessee Smokies and was named a Southern League All-Star.

In seven minor league seasons (four as a closer), Batista has recorded 85 saves, a 28-22 record, 2.99 ERA, 1.250 WHIP, and 379 strikeouts in 478.1 innings. Batista pitched at Double-A Tennessee and Triple-A Iowa in 2015, but went on the 60-day disabled list last season after being injured in spring training.

The 5-foot-10, 170-pound Batista relies more on pinpoint control and pitch sequencing rather than overpowering stuff to get batters out. Batista has only a low-90's fastball to go along with a slider and his best pitch, a change-up.

See Frank Batista's Baseball Reference page

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=batist003fra

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wondering how the Iowa staff will shake out. They are packing up depth.