Olesz put on waivers

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Interesting timing. I am curious to see if someone is about to get called up - considering we are thin at forward with Scott being a D and Bolland injured/coming off injury. Also thinner at D w/ Seabrook day to day.

I doubt anyone claims Olesz on waivers or even re-entry waivers if it gets to that point (which I don't know if the Blackhawks would risk that).

An outside chance that it means a trade is about to happen and the Hawks need the cap space - would be a big trade though because the Hawks already have a good amount of cap space.

Everyday I'm Byfuglien

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
First instinct was trade too, but who knows.

Anyways, guy sucks. Everything considered, chalk up a win for Dale.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
First instinct was trade too, but who knows.

Anyways, guy sucks. Everything considered, chalk up a win for Dale.

I would consider it a win for both teams really.

With the Blackhawks cap situation, it was a great move to get rid of Campbell and his contract. Obviously they had to take salary back.

With the Panthers cap situation, it was a great move to get Campbell and his contract - while getting rid of Olesz's contract.

I'm having a hard time trying to think who would be called up. The forwards are all pretty set, and the only person who seems like they are in the dog house is Bickell. Do you bring up a Morin/Smith? The only issue is that you don't want to sit those two guys and hurt their development.

I don't think a trade of this magnitude would happen (about $7mil free without Olesz on the books - around $3.8M before which is a lot) but who knows.

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

With the Blackhawks cap situation, it was a great move to get rid of Campbell and his contract. Obviously they had to take salary back.

With the Panthers cap situation, it was a great move to get Campbell and his contract - while getting rid of Olesz's contract.

I'm having a hard time trying to think who would be called up. The forwards are all pretty set, and the only person who seems like they are in the dog house is Bickell. Do you bring up a Morin/Smith? The only issue is that you don't want to sit those two guys and hurt their development.

I don't think a trade of this magnitude would happen (about $7mil free without Olesz on the books - around $3.8M before which is a lot) but who knows.

Smith is playinh outstanding. I wouldn't mind him coming and playing on any of the top 3 lines.

I also see a Sergei Samsonov type claim coming on this waiver.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Smith is playinh outstanding. I wouldn't mind him coming and playing on any of the top 3 lines.

I also see a Sergei Samsonov type claim coming on this waiver.

Who do you sit then? That's the issue. You don't want Smith (even though I don't think he has a much higher ceiling than he is at) sitting on the bench.

What exactly are you referring to with the Samsonov claim? Are you referring to how Chicago/Montreal traded guys so Montreal could have a lower buy out or how Carolina claimed Samsonov from the Hawks?

I just don't see Olesz getting claimed. $3.125Mil and 3 more years - counting this year (where is salary increases every year - which doesn't affect the cap, but hurts the owner's pocket). The 3 more years is more of a deal breaker than the $3.125 probably.

Last edited:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

they won as far as salary
they lost as far as the power play

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats

Agree, but I just dont know if Campbell or any other PP qb will fix their PP

our fowards just arent finishing on the PP either

I think we will see a trade soon

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:

Ehhh, I would argue that Campbell wasn't a huge part of the Blackhawks powerplay last year or the last couple of years. His time on ice in terms of powerplay went down and he only put up 6 points last year on the PP. He wasn't even used much on the entry of the zone last year.

The Blackhawks definitely lost a top 4 dman and that hurts, but his $7+mil hurt a lot as well.

LonghornBob

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Campbell has something like 15 assists and is having a great year but he wasn't worth that kind of jack.

The only thing that confuses me about the whole damned deal is that we didn't cut him back when it would only have cost us 400k. Never really got that...

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
Jesse ROgers made a good point...timing is weird too. They could have cut him on Monday when they were still in Chicago instead of today

sounds more and more like a trade is looming

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ehhh, I would argue that Campbell wasn't a huge part of the Blackhawks powerplay last year or the last couple of years. His time on ice in terms of powerplay went down and he only put up 6 points last year on the PP. He wasn't even used much on the entry of the zone last year.

The Blackhawks definitely lost a top 4 dman and that hurts, but his $7+mil hurt a lot as well.

you argue that points dont mean anything with joe but now use it in your arguement. how clever.

anyway, i dont what games you were watching, but campbell was the entry zone player.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
you argue that points dont mean anything with joe but now use it in your arguement. how clever.

anyway, i dont what games you were watching, but campbell was the entry zone player.

I said when your only argument is points, it is a poor argument. Points do mean something, but they definitely aren't the whole story.

Probably why I backed it up with other opinions. Also, when it comes to the powerplay, points have some more merit.

Nice try though - don't construe my words or take them out of context next time.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats

I wouldn't say that entry is really the problem this year....

we can get into the zone with kane/toews carrying the puck but they cant finish to save their lives

(good goaltending mixed in there too)

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Jesse ROgers made a good point...timing is weird too. They could have cut him on Monday when they were still in Chicago instead of today

Real interesting point on the timing. Could be us reading too much into it, but interesting none the less.

Everyday I'm Byfuglien

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The way I look at it so far (and what I meant in my post)...

-Hawks got cap relief and a bum.

-Dale got cap relief (in the opposite way, still as important) and a number one D-man who is playing at the level his contract dictates.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only thing that confuses me about the whole damned deal is that we didn't cut him back when it would only have cost us 400k. Never really got that...

Well, with him inevitably passing through waivers, that's an additional 400k off the cap now than they would have had since his entire salary comes off.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:

Scotty was at a game that wasn't in Florida (I forget where) maybe to offer an opinion?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Didn't we save cap space this winter too? So if we needed to clear Olesz's salary to make it, it must be a somewhat significant player?

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
From a fan's perspective, I respect Rockwell Wirtz's attitude towards his team and his fans. It is pretty clear (or ought to be), that it isn't really about the money. I suspect, all things being equal, that if there was no salary cap- that the Hawks would be spending even more money on the team to achieve like results.

Olesz, well sure as a player he was a non-factor... but as a financial chip, he was pretty valuable, since they were not relying on him actually doing anything... and in a sense it is a little like salary cap Rope-A-Dope ... you got 3.125 mil tied up in a non-factor, which means that you know that you have that flexibility to move that money off the cap and maybe are looking to get a more effective player.

To paraphrase Stephen Colbert.... top 6 winger, please :D preferably top line but serviceable 2nd line guy with some mobility would work too.

I like how Quenneville was non-commital when asked about that roster spot. . . not really a given that a Rockford promotion is automatic.