OT: It’s time to talk about Penix

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
He and emery are scouts. This is just gobsmacking I say, but to your point, if you scouted and moved up to draft trubisky, you should be bagging my groceries at da jewel’s!

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It doesn’t make any sense.

Presumably when you win a mini bidding war and tamper to acquire Cousins for pretty big money and several years, you have other ideas for what resources you can fill with a first round pick. Not the exact same position with a guy who’s clearly a reach.

The Falcons are so fucking dumb.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is the kind of pick that you make two years into Cousin's contract, not at the beginning. It sends a pretty clear message to Kirk that he is going to be expendable really soon but that is when his cap hit (at least from what I can read from Sporttrac) really gets expensive. So they will have to cut him after year two and eat some serious dead cap space or keep him around and pay him to be a very expensive backup.

I've watched Penix play and he has potential to be a special player but this is one helluva gamble when you think about having to really sit him for his first two years. Trading Cousins after two years is going to be hard based on his contract, which gets pretty tough as time goes on as far as cap hits go. Cousins might be pissed off enough to not negotiate a new contract just so Atlanta has to keep him around or pay that 25 mil dead cap hit.

Collins77

Liked Posts:
OK so to play devils advocate, his QB play has never been questioned. It's his age and health history. He has a ton of snaps and with two years behind Cousins, he could step into a nice well built team. Also give two more years of rest for those knees, shoulders, liver ect. ......But yeah....WTF moment of the draft. I thought he was middle second.

Reactions: 1ke

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Do you all think pace (or emery) had say on the penix? Like, didn’t the falcons know not to trust them after the trubisky move?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
This is the kind of pick that you make two years into Cousin's contract, not at the beginning. It sends a pretty clear message to Kirk that he is going to be expendable really soon but that is when his cap hit (at least from what I can read from Sporttrac) really gets expensive. So they will have to cut him after year two and eat some serious dead cap space or keep him around and pay him to be a very expensive backup.

I've watched Penix play and he has potential to be a special player but this is one helluva gamble when you think about having to really sit him for his first two years. Trading Cousins after two years is going to be hard based on his contract, which gets pretty tough as time goes on as far as cap hits go. Cousins might be pissed off enough to not negotiate a new contract just so Atlanta has to keep him around or pay that 25 mil dead cap hit.
Yeah but you pay cousins that much?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
OK so to play devils advocate, his QB play has never been questioned. It's his age and health history. He has a ton of snaps and with two years behind Cousins, he could step into a nice well built team. Also give two more years of rest for those knees, shoulders, liver ect. ......But yeah....WTF moment of the draft. I thought he was middle second.
Yeah but you pay cousins that much?

Collins77

Liked Posts:
Yeah, that was a head scratcher. Honestly I think Jamis Winston could have done just as good as far as win loss for a fraction of the cost.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Penix is going to be on the downside of his 20s when Cousins lets him take over the team