Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Wow, wtf?? Lawrence has been okay, but this is elite money. He has not been that. Also, with the 5th year option, why be in a hurry to give him this contract? Wait to see how he plays in his 4th year.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If they let him walk, who would they replace him with that’s better?

It's not about letting him walk. They have him under contract for this season and next. They could have waited to see how he performed this season before signing him to a massive extension.

I know it's common for QBs to have their 5th year picked up and then sign an extension shortly after, but those guys have usually solidified themselves in the NFL (Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, etc.) Tua, for example, had his 5th year option picked up, but the Dolphins elected to see how he looked over the next two years before committing long term. That would have made more sense for a guy like Lawrence.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Wow, wtf?? Lawrence has been okay, but this is elite money. He has not been that. Also, with the 5th year option, why be in a hurry to give him this contract? Wait to see how he plays in his 4th year.
He is a franchise quarterback! Without him Jacksonville would be Jacksonville. One of the worst teams in football.

Last edited:

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's not about letting him walk. They have him under contract for this season and next. They could have waited to see how he performed this season before signing him to a massive extension.

I know it's common for QBs to have their 5th year picked up and then sign an extension shortly after, but those guys have usually solidified themselves in the NFL (Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, etc.) Tua, for example, had his 5th year option picked up, but the Dolphins elected to see how he looked over the next two years before committing long term. That would have made more sense for a guy like Lawrence.
No it would not! They did the smart thing by extending him now because the market is going up and up! In two years it would have costed them millions more!

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If I were one of those guys I'd play one year on that contract and retire. Fuck risking your health when you can easily spend several lifetimes living in luxury and not having to worry about your brain being scrambled.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Also, with the 5th year option, why be in a hurry to give him this contract? Wait to see how he plays in his 4th year.
I don’t disagree that Lawrence has probably been below expectations, but extending him now is just a risk/reward thing. If they know they’ll extend him anyway, and believe in him to hit that “generational” talent, or near, they extend him now at a “bargain”. You wait and he performs, his contract expectations would balloon accordingly. A Tua or Love extension could set the market and the Jags just chose to be first.

If I were one of those guys I'd play one year on that contract and retire. Fuck risking your health when you can easily spend several lifetimes living in luxury and not having to worry about your brain being scrambled.
With that mindset, it would probably be much less likely you’d achieve what guys who got those contracts achieved that allowed them to earn it in the first place.

Luke

Liked Posts:
The crazy thing is that with the escalating QB/WR markets, if CW is even average over the next 3 years, the AAV for just CW and DJ might approach 100mil.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Moat bears fans don't think about Fields nearly as much as you and that pedo do.
Doesn’t matter the sport or the topic, he has permanent residence in their heads.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
The crazy thing is that with the escalating QB/WR markets, if CW is even average over the next 3 years, the AAV for just CW and DJ might approach 100mil.
Eventually the growth in salary cap and contracts has to stop. I'm not sure when it becomes unsustainable but I think we'll find out in our lifetimes because the cap and contracts are growing at insane rates annually

msadows

Liked Posts:
Most Bears fans think he's worse than Fields.

He was pretty bad last year.

No one was trying to pay fields. I'd have been pissed if the bears paid trevor this amount of money for his performance. I had him in fantasy and dude fucked the jaguars multiple times late in the season.

Not certain what choices they had tho. The bears had options, most teams dont and have to pay jared goofy 55 million

He's not even gotten close to living up to his predraft hype but getting paid like he did. Dak gonna make 70mill if this guys making 55

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
Eventually the growth in salary cap and contracts has to stop. I'm not sure when it becomes unsustainable but I think we'll find out in our lifetimes because the cap and contracts are growing at insane rates annually

The cap outside of this year doesnt jump that crazy. Either these teams know something we dont or they are just stupid and desperate (likely option 2).

Think this was the highest cap increase % in like 20+ years. Usually its like half of what it was this offseason.

Whatever, let these teams go into cap hell. Maybe caleb will be willing to sign a 1 dollar deal and offset the rest with chicago taxpayer money!

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Stop? Isn't it based on things like revenue? So long as revenue increases, so will the cap. Teams try to assign a consistent % of cap to players... hard to hit a moving target, but they pay people well to figure that out. But I think the best players at their positions have had a reasonably consistent % of the team cap over time... with adjustments for the game (like RBs devalued and maybe WR have increased in value).

I had him in fantasy and dude fucked the jaguars multiple times late in the season.
I was so tired of him that I dropped him... didn't quite pay off though, not that keeping him would've either.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Stop? Isn't it based on things like revenue? So long as revenue increases, so will the cap. Teams try to assign a consistent % of cap to players... hard to hit a moving target, but they pay people well to figure that out. But I think the best players at their positions have had a reasonably consistent % of the team cap over time... with adjustments for the game (like RBs devalued and maybe WR have increased in value).

I was so tired of him that I dropped him... didn't quite pay off though, not that keeping him would've either.
I get that it's based off revenue which is huge. But eventually that will cap out. Idk where or when this growth stops but it'll be interesting to see. The cap has nearly doubled over the last 10 years. It'll likely grow another 50 million over the next 3 years or so. I have no clue when, but at some point that continued growth is unsustainable

msadows

Liked Posts:
I get that it's based off revenue which is huge. But eventually that will cap out. Idk where or when this growth stops but it'll be interesting to see. The cap has nearly doubled over the last 10 years. It'll likely grow another 50 million over the next 3 years or so. I have no clue when, but at some point that continued growth is unsustainable

Look at the % growth tho, and not the actual cap figure.

Last year was an anomaly.

1718372502685.png

Either these teams all know the cap is going to consistently go up 10%+ yearly now, or they are just morons after getting some extra cap to play with.