OT - Scott Van Pelts solution to fix overtime

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
I feel bad for the Cards. Normally, you would get a lot more media coverage about how great of a play Fitz had in OT and what a great job Palmer did spinning the hell out of a sack and getting it to Larry Legend in the first place. But instead we're overrun with this garbage about a set of rules that really only apply to less than 10% of all NFL games.

Also, had the Packers won the game on their first possession, no one would even blink an eye at the OT rules. No one would be clamouring for a rule change. And honestly, even if the Cards scored or whatever, the main point of the drive is you let an offense go 80 fucking yards on 3 plays to score a TD. That's just shitty D no matter how you cut it and forget whether Rodgers deserves the chance to get on the field. If your D gives up a TD in 3 plays where the O drove the entire field, you don't deserve to win the game.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
I feel bad for the Cards. Normally, you would get a lot more media coverage about how great of a play Fitz had in OT and what a great job Palmer did spinning the hell out of a sack and getting it to Larry Legend in the first place. But instead we're overrun with this garbage about a set of rules that really only apply to less than 10% of all NFL games.

Also, had the Packers won the game on their first possession, no one would even blink an eye at the OT rules. No one would be clamouring for a rule change. And honestly, even if the Cards scored or whatever, the main point of the drive is you let an offense go 80 fucking yards on 3 plays to score a TD. That's just shitty D no matter how you cut it and forget whether Rodgers deserves the chance to get on the field. If your D gives up a TD in 3 plays where the O drove the entire field, you don't deserve to win the game.

they're coddled..and when overtime doesn't go their way they cry about it

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Let's face it Green Bay with Aaron Rodgers are media darlings. Rodgers and Green Bay makes the media's job easier if they had won. Plus ratings boost and all that. Arizona and Carolina are just not as interesting. Manning, Brady, and Rodgers make a good story. The NFL is becoming more like the WWE, A soap opera.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't be upset if they changed it to both teams getting possession but I really think overtime is fine....

You have 60 minutes of game time to score more points. If you can't do that, part of the "punishment" is you may partially be depending on luck... or you could try playing decent defense.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Line up both teams on the goal line. 100 yard race to the other goal line. First team to get all 11 players across the line wins... lol

Apparently people forget that the Defense is paid to stop the Offense from scoring. If your defense can't stop the other team because your team isn't balanced and you've committed more of your money and resources to offense... then you get everything you deserve when your Defense loses the game for you in OT... It's pretty fucking simple.

Extending the playing time any farther than it already is... is just stupid. It's not a video game. Guys already get the shit beat out of them for 60min.

I don't think it's a far stretch to say that moving the extra point kick had a direct correlation to there being twice as many OT games this year. 22 this year, 11 last year. It just makes it way easier to tie games by kicking field goals. Move it back, reduce the OT chances and get rid of Thursday night football. More recoup time for players = healthier competition. I can't find the stat for how many Extra points were missed this year, but by week three 14 kicks had already been missed.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
How about forcing the team who is behind to go for two (assuming they score)- if there is under 5 minutes left in the fourth quarter? Have more games decided in regulation and stop all this bitching about overtime.

jc456

Liked Posts:
Ok my main issue here is this for years the overtime rules were whoever scored first won. Then they change the rules and say that if there is a field goal the other team gets one possession to either tie or win the game. However if the team who gets the ball scores a TD the game is over. This is a good concession to everyone who was complaining that whoever wins the coin toss basicially wins the game (even though stats showed otherwise). Now all of a sudden Aaron Rodgers doesn't get to take the field again because his defense gets embarrassed :) now people are already suggesting another change to the rules. I honestly wonder what would happen if it were the beloved that got beaten in OT in the exact same way if anyone would be pining for the NFL to make a rule change....what do you all think?

I realize this is similar to the Clay Matthews OT complaint thread so if the mods feel it is too similar please move it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/espns-scott-van-pelt-great-163300306.html

Scott Van Pelt thinks the NFL needs to change its overtime rules.

The NFL's overtime rules were once again questioned during the divisional round of the playoffs this weekend.
During the Cardinals' riveting 26-20 overtime win over the Packers on Saturday, the Packers didn't even get a chance to take the field in overtime after the Cardinals scored on the opening driving to win the game.

The finish felt like something of an injustice as Aaron Rodgers led a short-handed Packers team to a wild comeback, culminating in a 55-yard, Hail Mary to tie the game.

Many people felt that Rodgers, the biggest star on the field, should have at least gotten a chance to keep his team alive after the Cardinals scored. Alas, due to the rules, the game, and the Packers' season, were over.

During a SportsCenter segment, ESPN's Scott Van Pelt came up with a simple solution to fix the NFL's overtime rules, arguing this exact point: Rodgers and the Packers should have at least gotten a chance to take the field.

"It also seemed cosmically wrong for Rodgers to not even have the chance to touch the football in overtime," Van Pelt said.

Van Pelt argued that the NFL shouldn't turn to college football's rules, in which teams get the ball on their opponent's 25-yard line, saying getting into the red zone is an achievement. He called college football's rules "entertaining, but "not football."

"Make the process equitable. This isn't at all complicated. Use Saturday night, let's say, as the template," Van Pelt began. "Arizona gets the ball and they score a touchdown. Well done. But why should that end the game? Because it's a touchdown. That's awfully arbitrary — they scored, super. Simple tweak of the rules leads to a kickoff to Green Bay, with the Packers required to answer or the game ends. If they do answer with a score, then the game immediately becomes sudden-death."

Van Pelt continued, saying that if Arizona had failed to score and punted to Green Bay, then the game would have immediately become sudden-death, meaning if Green Bay scored next, the game would be over.

Van Pelt isn't the only person to feel this way. After the game, Packers linebacker Clay Matthews argued that the overtime rules needed tweaking. Matthews, however, is fine with the college rules (via USA Today's Tom Pelissero).

"Let’s go college rules. Just put us on the 25 or whatever it is and let us go at it. But I don’t know. I’m sure it’ll be talked about. It sucks that we don’t have an opportunity.

"But those are the rules right now. We’ve got to play by them. We had an opportunity to stop them on their side of the field and force a punt and kick a field goal to win, and we didn’t do that."

If the right people gripe about it, the NFL will have to take a look at its rules. In recent weeks, the NFL has seen two star players in Rodgers and Tom Brady (during a Week 16 overtime loss to the Jets) fail to see the field because their team didn't get a stop on the opening drive of overtime. The NFL undoubtedly would like to see its top players on the field in the most dramatic action of the game.

Funny as shit. I love it, he says give each team the ball and if both teams scores it goes to sudden death. Well isn't that what overtime was supposed to be? Sudden death. What the fuck is the difference with what Van Pelt proposes to the current rule? Huh? What a bunch of friggin cry baby assholes. They all went into the game knowing the rules right? WTF is all I can say.

BTW, Rodgers did have an opportunity to win the game with a two point conversion option on the last play of regulation and McCarthy decided to go for the win instead in overtime. I highly doubt if they'd of scored a TD on a first possession in overtime that they'd be out there promoting for the other team to get a chance. Right? LOMFL

jc456

Liked Posts:
10 minute OT and if still tied flip a coin. What could go wrong?

they already do that, it's called regulation and then overtime. They flip a coin and call it sudden death. Nothing proposed by Van Pelt is different.

jc456

Liked Posts:
Terrible. If Arizona gets a TD, and then GB gets a chance, they have an unfair advantage because they have a 4th down to use whenever they want. It could be 4th and 50, and GB would still go for it because they have no choice. Arizona didn't have that ability. So it's a horseshit suggestion by Van Pelt unless GB only gets 3 downs to move down the field.

but it still boils down to, if they do get a TD on three plays, what is next? Oh yeah sudden death. well Duh, it is sudden death. Look up the definition of sudden death in a NFL game.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Precisely

GB knew the rules going in, when they scored a TD they had the option of going for 2 points and winning the game. Instead they choose to tie the game and send it into OT. Now they are crying that the OT rules are not fair. Give it a rest.
Am I to understand that the GB idiots somehow think their chances were better to drive the length of the field in OT to tie the game once again in OT (had the rules been as the OP suggests) then to score from the 2yd line?

the game couldn't end in a tie, why not go for the two points?

There doesn't need to be a rules change, there needs to be a coaching philosophy change.

I was going to say the same thing. If you want "the mighty" Erin Rodgers to decide the game for you then fucking go for 2 and win the game.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I was going to say the same thing. If you want "the mighty" Erin Rodgers to decide the game for you then fucking go for 2 and win the game.
I agree. But the media doesn't like not seeing the elite QBs out there in OT. So thus they feel the need to drive this narrative.

jc456

Liked Posts:
The problem with that line of logic, is it still leads to sudden death. They are just adding more steps before reaching sudden death. Why add more shit before you hit sudden death when both teams just finished 60 minutes of goddamn football?

Everyone is ignoring the most important point of the whole fucking issue - namely that BOTH TEAMS JUST PLAYED A WHOLE FUCKING GAME. Both teams had many, many opportunities to score touchdowns. This new talk about OT acts like that wasn't an entire 60 minutes preceding it. Its bullshit.

There is no reason to guarantee both teams a possession. Giving Aaron Rodgers more playing time is NOT a fucking compelling reason to change the NFL rulebook. Its fucking horeshit.

Packers and their fans should be livid. Furious. But not at the fucking rules. They need to direct their anger where it fucking belongs.... defensive breakdown in OT and problems with both their O and D during regulation. Fucking horseshit.
I'll state it again, they went into the game with the knowledge that if it was tied at the end of regulation, it came down to a coin toss. And they knew the rules as how an outcome would look. Why wait to cry after the game, why not right after you lose the coin toss and let everyone see Rodger's whiney little green ass on live TV. He could jump up and down and yell....it isn't fair, it isn't fair I deserve a right to get back on the field......arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

jc456

Liked Posts:
I agree. But the media doesn't like not seeing the elite QBs out there in OT. So thus they feel the need to drive this narrative.

the problem is that it would never be fair. way too many variables that come into play. The system is what the system is and every team voted on it. Didn't Green Bay?

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Let's face it Green Bay with Aaron Rodgers are media darlings. Rodgers and Green Bay makes the media's job easier if they had won. Plus ratings boost and all that. Arizona and Carolina are just not as interesting. Manning, Brady, and Rodgers make a good story. The NFL is becoming more like the WWE, A soap opera.

Speak for yourself. I have been waiting for this Cards Vs. Panthers game for weeks now. Its what I expected.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It doesn't go Green Bay's way in overtime very often. Rodgers is 0-7-1 in overtime games in his career and 0-3 in playoff OT games.

tumblr_inline_n963qt6XNj1qekbwo.gif

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
the problem is that it would never be fair. way too many variables that come into play. The system is what the system is and every team voted on it. Didn't Green Bay?
Yes, but you're ignoring my point of this is what the MEDIA wants.. not necessarily the NFL teams themselves.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why not just play another quarter of football and keep playing until one team wins? To me the more changes that they make the worse it gets. I do not like the college rules either because it takes the safety and the kick-off out of the picture. It also pads the stats.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Why not just play another quarter of football and keep playing until one team wins? To me the more changes that they make the worse it gets. I do not like the college rules either because it takes the safety and the kick-off out of the picture. It also pads the stats.

What happens if it is still tied after the overtime? Next team wins? The other team will say that wasn't fair.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

It limits yard stats and a safety is still certainly... possible, on some insane fluke int/fumble return then fumbling on the goalline and all that type of jazz.

I like the college system for college football.

The concept that there should be fair offensive possession in OT for the NFL doesn't make sense. And people who want that fairness just pressume it's like, yeah that should exist... but there is not often even a case made to justify it.