waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was close...I said 3 years at 9-10M.

Relapse

Leddy > Cullimore
Liked Posts:
The first baseman agreed Wednesday to a three-year deal worth $37.5 million. Konerko will make $12 million in 2011 and 2012, then $6.5 million in 2013 and $1 million a year from 2014-2020.

I think this deal is very reasonable for both sides. I like the "retirement" package that defers money over time rather than commit 12.5 million per season to what would be a 39 year old player on the last year of the deal. Great to have you back Paulie.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think this deal is very reasonable for both sides. I like the "retirement" package that defers money over time rather than commit 12.5 million per season to what would be a 39 year old player on the last year of the deal. Great to have you back Paulie.

they got creative and got their guy. now i feel better about the lineup. we are going to hit a ton of homeruns.

xCraCKz

Liked Posts:
Yes sir! Man i'm excited for baseball. We get some BP help and were set.. I wish we had a shot at Soriano. I feel a big year for our starting five, and for the orginization too. Go Sox!

Dirty35

Liked Posts:

What if he doesn't retire at the end of the contract? Do you think they added a clause that wipes out the 7mil at then end if he doesn't?

BigSoxHurt35

Liked Posts:
Welcome back paulie!!! I guessed 3 yrs 40 mil. Time to get bullpen depth. Our roster is about set for opening day. Quentin staying guys?

CBPtOSU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The AL Central is now a 2-team race between the White Sox and Minnesota

Chi Sox Nut

Liked Posts:
Alright! Congratulations, Paulie!!! :bowrofl: Thank you, Jerry and thanks, Kenny!

Things are looking up for a great season next year. We've got a 1-2 punch with Konerko and Dunn. If Carlos stays in the mix, I'm going to be ecstatic for '11. I can't wait! Now let's get the pitching sewn up!

Last edited:

Undisputed

Liked Posts:
I wanted Paulie back more than anything this off-season. The only way I want to see Paulie leave the White Sox is through retirement.

Relapse

Leddy > Cullimore
Liked Posts:
What if he doesn't retire at the end of the contract? Do you think they added a clause that wipes out the 7mil at then end if he doesn't?

No that is just money deferred to lessen the impact of the contract on the team's budget in the future. I used the term "retirement" simply because Konerko will be 39 at the end of this contract and one would think he would be very close to calling it a career at that time. Regardless of what happens he is guaranteed that money.

Chi Sox Nut

Liked Posts:
Paul-ie, Paul-ie, Paul-ie!!!

181d1291838669-paul-konerko-re-signs-sox-konerko-chicago-white-sox-logo-bkg2-jpg

Pods4ever

Liked Posts:
Surplus Infielders

We need bullpen help. We arguably have the following infielders that could be used as trade bait:

Teahen (we'd have to eat part of his contract, of course and he can play OF)
Viciedo (we might live to regret letting him go, but where is he going to play for us?)
Vizquel (he adds so much to the team, and this is his last year anyway)
Morel (great defense, will his hitting develop?)
Lillibridge (never going to be starter, but is utility and cheap)

Given how little depth we currently have in the OF, I wouldn't mind trying to move Teahen or Viciedo to get some relief pitching.

I'd do this before moving Quentin. Because, although CQ is a defensive liability and should really be a DH, we don't have a viable alternative in RF.

Whaddya think?

Relapse

Leddy > Cullimore
Liked Posts:
Given how little depth we currently have in the OF, I wouldn't mind trying to move Teahen or Viciedo to get some relief pitching.
The current group of free agent relief pitches is deep and there is no reason to trade Viciedo for help when we have just scratched the surface of his talents. I just find his upside too high to trade him at this point in his career.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Paulie is Human Garbage. There, I said it.